Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I like Nemec. Boring to pick a dman, maybe, but he's a RHD who doesn't seem to have a weakness. Needs to get a bit stronger, but what 18 yo doesn't ?

I haven't watched much of Cooley, but there seems to be a whole bunch of shifty, fast, skillsy 5'10" guys on that USNDP that all look good, but at some time we have to look at getting forwards with talent AND size, or at least guys who can handle the physicality of the NHL.
I agree. Cooley and Nazar are both fast, skilled, undersized centermen. I do like Nemec as well. Plays a complete game and I think he can be a number 1 defenseman. There isn't much intersection of skill and size in this draft. Slafkovsky, who I like, but he probably goes #2. Not a fan of Geekie.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree. Cooley and Nazar are both fast, skilled, undersized centermen. I do like Nemec as well. Plays a complete game and I think he can be a number 1 defenseman. There isn't much intersection of skill and size in this draft. Slafkovsky, who I like, but he probably goes #2. Not a fan of Geekie.
Nazar looked crazy fast and quick...the whole team looked good at the U18's, but they have a huge advantage playing together as a team the whole year nad having their top talent there, as opposed to the other teams that re thrown together, and have a of of talent playing in other leagues.
The Russians look to be an interesting duo, and might drop a bit because of of non hockey factors. Both with good size, and a ton of talent. The "Russian factor" will loom large this draft, though, i think.

Chesley look ok as a possible pick in the 20's. there are a lot of good Dmen in this draft, but after the first two, not a lot of great RHD.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wasn't Chesley supposed to be one of the top defensemen in this draft? Has he really fallen off already? Guys falling off that far pre-draft is usually a massive red flag if there isn't a "real" reason for it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Would Minnesota be interested in trading Dumba to PIT?

I'd do a package of futures or Marino + futures. Not sure if you can afford to take his cap hit though.
The goal in trading him would be to shed cap to extend Fiala, so minimal cap would have to be coming back our way. Unfortunately that'd probably mean the return would look like butt, too.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What is the expectation then for him? A 1st and a prospect?

That's probably the expectation, but at this point I wouldn't really care what we ended up with as long as it means keeping Fiala.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What's happened to his offensive numbers? Evanson just plays Spurgeon over him on the PP?

That, and his shot isn't anywhere near as effective as it was before he was injured in the fight against Tkachuk. He still jumps up in the play sometimes, but he's not nearly as big of an offensive threat as he used to be. Much better defensively now though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Along those lines probably, yeah. There should be decent interest in him, but I have no idea what the market looks like when you factor in $6m in cap going to the other team for next year.

Seems like PIT and MIN would be a good fit. They would want a top 4 RD with some offensive upside to replace Letang and Dumba plays how Hextall and Burke like.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wasn't Chesley supposed to be one of the top defensemen in this draft? Has he really fallen off already? Guys falling off that far pre-draft is usually a massive red flag if there isn't a "real" reason for it.
Well, Jiricek and Nemec are the clear top 2 RHD, then there 3-5 LHD. I think that Chesley is the 3rd RHD off the board, but that can take you pretty far down the list. For sure, he might not be there when we pick.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like PIT and MIN would be a good fit. They would want a top 4 RD with some offensive upside to replace Letang and Dumba plays how Hextall and Burke like.
Dumba has some similarities to Letang stylistically. He's not as good, of course, but Dumba is a really good skater, very athletic, has some offense, is vg defensively but always good for a WTF? blunder once every 3 games or so. Dumba isn't big, but strong and combative...more so than Letang.
I just don't think that PIT can take on Dumba's salary w/o sending some back, which would defeat the point of the whole exercise.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dumba has some similarities to Letang stylistically. He's not as good, of course, but Dumba is a really good skater, very athletic, has some offense, is vg defensively but always good for a WTF? blunder once every 3 games or so. Dumba isn't big, but strong and combative...more so than Letang.
I just don't think that PIT can take on Dumba's salary w/o sending some back, which would defeat the point of the whole exercise.

If we don't resign Letang we would be fine which is what I'm operating under.

Letang currently takes up 7.25 mil so we'd be able to easily fit Dumba in at 6.

Right now we'd expect Letang to get something like 9 x 3.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If we don't resign Letang we would be fine which is what I'm operating under.

Letang currently takes up 7.25 mil so we'd be able to easily fit Dumba in at 6.

Right now we'd expect Letang to get something like 9 x 3.
Letang won't give a hometown discount? Dumba is a good dMan, but you don't want him to be your #1D.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Letang won't give a hometown discount? Dumba is a good dMan, but you don't want him to be your #1D.

It feels like management is going to let one of the two walk. Letang is the better player at this point versus Malkin and command more cap. Seems to be the one to let walk. I also think the Penguins would be better suited to go for three solid D lines instead of spending a ton of money on a 35 year old with injury history.

Letang is my favorite Penguin in history. But, that's the breaks.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Just listened to the BG Russo podcast from yesterday. Reading between the he lines, I think Fiala is gone. I don’t think they’re at the point where they won’t try and negotiate a new deal, but they know what they can give him, and they know what he’s probably going to want. I think, based on the way he’s talked about Boldy, that the Wild think Boldy will be able to drive his own line next year similar to what Fiala does for the line this year. Sad truth, but I think he is going to be gone.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just listened to the BG Russo podcast from yesterday. Reading between the he lines, I think Fiala is gone. I don’t think they’re at the point where they won’t try and negotiate a new deal, but they know what they can give him, and they know what he’s probably going to want. I think, based on the way he’s talked about Boldy, that the Wild think Boldy will be able to drive his own line next year similar to what Fiala does for the line this year. Sad truth, but I think he is going to be gone.

Or want to give him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, russo has been wrong before. Hope he is wrong in this. I won't go over why this is a bad decision by guerin, if true. Just makes me angry.

Reactions: keppel146

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well my guess is dumba is worth a late 1st or a pair or 2nds plus a pair of 4ths. just my one cent. until i hear fiala's demands are unreasonable im not giving up hope he wants to play here.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Well, russo has been wrong before. Hope he is wrong in this. I won't go over why this is a bad decision by guerin, if true. Just makes me angry.
What exactly does Russo being wrong or right have to do with this comment when he explicitly stated he is reading between the lines. You're manufacturing outrage over this posters take on a podcast where nothing was truly said about this subject. Not trying to come at you just don't follow your thinking here.

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
Unless Fiala expects 10 mill a year, I am going to be extremely angry if they don’t sign him.

We have waited 20 years for players like Kaprizov, Fiala and maybe Boldy. Now you’re just going to trade one to keep Dumba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad