Speculation: Tradable Assets

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, I would say that the Coyotes will want to hold on to both Chychrun and Strome, even for a solid RHD. I'm guessing any transactions will be more related to picks and b-level prospects this draft.

We definitely can't give up on Strome at this point, especially since we're not expected to be competitive for at least 2-3 seasons. We drafted Chychrun at an awesome price as well, so we definitely shouldn't be moving him for at least two to three seasons (depending on how he does and if OEL re-signs).

The only "expendable" D in my mind (meaning those that I'd be willing to give up) are Murphy, Connauton, and DeAngelo and I doubt any of them gets us Trouba. OEL is probably our best player, Goligoski is probably happy here (but may waive his NMC/NTC if the team continues to struggles this season), and Schenn has fit in well with the team. Now, if we go to prospect D, Wood might have some decent value, but I think we hold on to him at least one more season.

Taking a quick look at the Jets roster, you can probably find a better trade partner than us for Trouba, especially to find a #2 LHD (I'm guessing that's what's being sought). I also think the #13 pick could get you a D-man as BPA.

Who said we aren't expected to be competitive for at least 2-3 years? I would be extremely disappointed if we do not make big strides this year and next. This is year three of the rebuild so I would hope in two years we are playoff bound.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I thought the clock reset when Chayka and Tippett assumed control. Nothing before that matters.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I thought the clock reset when Chayka and Tippett assumed control. Nothing before that matters.

One of the reasons Rangers fans thought the Coyotes would be desperate to make an awful trade was that "Tippett is tired of losing and they're stuck in a perpetual rebuild, they need to ice a better team." Pretty funny.

25 people managed to impulsively vote Strome as trade bait, so I suppose they aren't wrong. Rebuilds are hard for fans to stomach.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't vote, but I'd trade anybody for the right deal. There's noone who should feel safe when you suck this long for so bad. Especially the head coach.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Who said we aren't expected to be competitive for at least 2-3 years? I would be extremely disappointed if we do not make big strides this year and next. This is year three of the rebuild so I would hope in two years we are playoff bound.

I probably should have defined my terms...

competitive=making the playoffs (or just missing them).

Commentary (bold for clarification to those who take posts too literally)
In my opinion, we won't get there in two years and I'm assuming a majority of others who follow the NHL would agree. Also, in my opinion, finishing the rebuild does not necessarily mean making the playoffs. Only 16/31 teams will make the playoffs and not all 15 of the teams that don't make them are in "rebuild mode."

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I wouldn't trade OEL, Domi, Keller, Dvo
I would trade but other teams need to overpay ARZ 2017 1st, Chychrun, Strome, Perlini, Rieder and maybe Duke

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
One of the reasons Rangers fans thought the Coyotes would be desperate to make an awful trade was that "Tippett is tired of losing and they're stuck in a perpetual rebuild, they need to ice a better team." Pretty funny.

25 people managed to impulsively vote Strome as trade bait, so I suppose they aren't wrong. Rebuilds are hard for fans to stomach.

The reason a rebuild are hard for fans to stomach is because most around here don't know what a true rebuild is.

I didn't vote, but I'd trade anybody for the right deal. There's noone who should feel safe when you suck this long for so bad. Especially the head coach.

...and you're on of them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I probably should have defined my terms...

competitive=making the playoffs (or just missing them).

Commentary (bold for clarification to those who take posts too literally)
In my opinion, we won't get there in two years and I'm assuming a majority of others who follow the NHL would agree. Also, in my opinion, finishing the rebuild does not necessarily mean making the playoffs. Only 16/31 teams will make the playoffs and not all 15 of the teams that don't make them are in "rebuild mode."

You are right, a rebuild does not guarantee playoffs. A rebuild is hard, takes patience and some luck. IF done right, it usually gets you to the playoffs. I expect the Coyotes to be in the playoffs in two years and be a competitive team for many years after that, if they keep the course of this rebuild.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The reason a rebuild are hard for fans to stomach is because most around here don't know what a true rebuild is.

...and you're on of them.

And now you're resorting to personal attacks again because you don't have anything to counter what someone says to you.

I'm a fan of other teams in other sports leagues in addition to the Coyotes and I know what a true rebuild looks like and what it involves. Now I'm not going to waste a great deal of time and energy here with you as you only see what you want to see. Teams like the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavilers went through a true rebuild and that includes firing an incompetent head coach on the rebuild.

I can deal with rebuilds when they're done right and the Coyotes aren't doing the rebuild right but the Maple Leafs are doing their rebuild right.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And now you're resorting to personal attacks again because you don't have anything to counter what someone says to you.

I'm a fan of other teams in other sports leagues in addition to the Coyotes and I know what a true rebuild looks like and what it involves. Now I'm not going to waste a great deal of time and energy here with you as you only see what you want to see. Teams like the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavilers went through a true rebuild and that includes firing an incompetent head coach on the rebuild.

I can deal with rebuilds when they're done right and the Coyotes aren't doing the rebuild right but the Maple Leafs are doing their rebuild right.

:laugh:Talking about calling the kettle black.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I don't move a young asset unless it's for an overpaynent or a long term, team controlled upgrade. I enjoy looking at ways to improve the club quickly but the reality is that there are almost never shortcuts to a rebuild and more often setbacks.

AS much as I dislike the comparison to Edmonton (especially given some varying circumstances), they were garbage for years while amassing high end picks. There was some luck involved with getting Mcdavid but they were relatively patient, a model we should probably follow until we have enough talent knocking at the door that we can make trades securely.

We shouldn't be moving anyone until we know what we've got, and that's likely a few years away.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't move a young asset unless it's for an overpaynent or a long term, team controlled upgrade. I enjoy looking at ways to improve the club quickly but the reality is that there are almost never shortcuts to a rebuild and more often setbacks.

AS much as I dislike the comparison to Edmonton (especially given some varying circumstances), they were garbage for years while amassing high end picks. There was some luck involved with getting Mcdavid but they were relatively patient, a model we should probably follow until we have enough talent knocking at the door that we can make trades securely.

We shouldn't be moving anyone until we know what we've got, and that's likely a few years away.

I agree. Next year at this time I think we could be talking a trade or two with a couple of our prospects, and maybe even this year we could see a lesser prospect like Gaudet be included in a trade, but I hope they don't trade a young core piece this year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I think that when ownership fires the other guy and hands you the reins while increasing your salary that on some level it's an endorsement.

I'm not saying that was the right call. I'm merely indicating that is a logical understanding of what happened.

I don't know how else one could have interpreted what happened.

I can't recall when my boss got really mad at me and to punish me he gave me a promotion and bumped my pay significantly. That's just my experience though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

It's much easier to do a rebuild "right" when you win a lottery. We've been forced into a Nashville model where we are eventually going to have depth throughout the lineup. Right now we are still caught in that mix of leftover crap and still developing youth.

What I've appreciated is the expanded scouting and greater emphasis on our development system. To be truly successful over the long term that has to continue to improve. We've focused considerably on improving organizational skill which was such a weakness and are finally showing some degree of patience in development. Not a A+ grade yet but overall I think we have improved.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's much easier to do a rebuild "right" when you win a lottery. We've been forced into a Nashville model where we are eventually going to have depth throughout the lineup. Right now we are still caught in that mix of leftover crap and still developing youth.

What I've appreciated is the expanded scouting and greater emphasis on our development system. To be truly successful over the long term that has to continue to improve. We've focused considerably on improving organizational skill which was such a weakness and are finally showing some degree of patience in development. Not a A+ grade yet but overall I think we have improved.

I agree. So far so good.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Notice how Nashville is in the finals now by getting rid of their coach that's the equivalent to Tippett. Also, we would have Eichel right now if the team would have just done what the former Buffalo GM had done so I don't buy this luck in the lottery crap.

I agree. So far so good.

Piggy back answers aren't real responses and aren't original answers either. Try less "I agree", "good post", "DT haters", and give a real response in the future to what people say and that includes to those who you agree with.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Notice how Nashville is in the finals now by getting rid of their coach that's the equivalent to Tippett. Also, we would have Eichel right now if the team would have just done what the former Buffalo GM had done so I don't buy this luck in the lottery crap.

Piggy back answers aren't real responses and aren't original answers either. Try less "I agree", "good post", "DT haters", and give a real response in the future to what people say and that includes to those who you agree with.

We should have tanked earlier like Sabres did. That worked well for the now unemployed Tim Murray and Don Maloney. Great career moves for both. Neither will likely ever ascend to a GM position again.

In order to get a franchise player through the draft you need to win a lottery. Especially now with the changes. That's reality. Are you suggesting that doesn't make a significant difference in rebuild timeline?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Nashville got to the final because their franchise goalie actually played like a franchise goalie in there playoffs, if he continues to play like previous playoffs in the final they will be finished rather quickly. Show me a goid goalie and I'll show you a good coach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't need you to tell me how to post. I will respond the way I want to respond.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
We should have tanked earlier like Sabres did. That worked well for the now unemployed Tim Murray and Don Maloney. Great career moves for both. Neither will likely ever ascend to a GM position again.

In order to get a franchise player through the draft you need to win a lottery. Especially now with the changes. That's reality. Are you suggesting that doesn't make a significant difference in rebuild timeline?

Maloney didn't get canned for the same reason Murray got canned. Maloney was canned because he decided to finally grow a spine and decided not to appease Tippett anymore. The lottery and the odds in the lottery can change at anytime so I don't buy this luck idea.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maloney didn't get canned for the same reason Murray got canned. Maloney was canned because he decided to finally grow a spine and decided not to appease Tippett anymore. The lottery and the odds in the lottery can change at anytime so I don't buy this luck idea.

But there's still a lottery. You can't draft early unless you win. That's reality. I don't understand how you can say that there isn't some degree of luck involved. That's ludicrous.

Maloney got canned because he lost a lottery and then wouldn't deal the 3rd overall pick for immediate help in Hamilton. Maloney elected to go the patient rebuild route with Strome as he hadn't been able to find a top line C in a decade as a GM. Time will tell on if it was right decision.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Nashville has also had the same GM for 20 years, and despite years of mediocrity, he's now considered one of the best in the league (Hockey Graphs just put him at #1). Laviolette is the second coach in franchise history.

The Coyotes are on their 5th GM over the same span of time, not including whatever Tippett's role is.

Changes in team philosophy happen quickly when you shuffle the front office, but they can happen organically without firing or hiring anyone. Contrary to popular belief around here, individual people do develop over time. Tippett has shown himself to be far more adaptable than most of his critics, who still rely on decade-old hearsay to condemn his philosophy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nashville has also had the same GM for 20 years, and despite years of mediocrity, he's now considered one of the best in the league (Hockey Graphs just put him at #1). Laviolette is the second coach in franchise history.

The Coyotes are on their 5th GM over the same span of time, not including whatever Tippett's role is.

Changes in team philosophy happen quickly when you shuffle the front office, but they can happen organically without firing or hiring anyone. Contrary to popular belief around here, individual people do develop over time. Tippett has shown himself to be far more adaptable than most of his critics, who still rely on decade-old hearsay to condemn his philosophy.

How true. Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad