Speculation: Tradable Assets

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Some people have said that we don't have top end talent, I can't say that I agree with that. Our prospects have just not materialized into top end talent yet! Domi can't carry the work load of five other skaters, hes not god and will need help. Dvorak looks like he will bloom into a fantastic second line, two way center. Perlini could become the 30+ goal a year scorer we crave. Fisher has the opportunity to show that he can be the power forward that will replace Doan in the next few years. Strome could quite possibly be a slow to rise #1 center and Keller could be that insane skill player that makes us jump out of our seat. Duclair had a down year but he could still bounce back and become a 25 goal guy. Merkley still has a shot at becoming an NHL player, he's just been dealt the injury bug. And of course there are the lesser prospects like Garland, Bunting, Crouse, Looke, Pederson, and MacInnis. I'm confident that once we have a few years under our belt with these guys we will be able to ice at least one top six line and maybe have a full set.

Keller - Strome - Fisher
Domi - Vilardi/Glass/Suzuki/Mittelstadt/Necas - Duclair
Perlini - Dvorak - Merkley/Garland

This could be our top 9 in 3 years, That's a huge success rate with first and second round picks. Maybe its half of that but it's still better than where we stand today. Just have patience.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We just need to take advantage of expansion and cap pressures and find another Crouse & another Chychrun deal. Next year, after we see what we've really got with our prospect pool, we can start thinking about which prospects are trade chips.

The problem is anyone other than Doan should be available for the right price. (if Doan comes back). I consider OEL virtually untouchable but would drive him to the airport myself for Mathews and a 1st or McJesus and Eberle. (not that these things would ever happen and I am not proposing it). this team needs to determine the core and allow it to grow while looking for upgrades that make the team better DeAngelo is a perfect example. Identify the core and add pieces slowly at first, and then when the window is open go for the top players. No reason to go for stars for the next couple of years we need to see what we have, and listen to offers.

Correct. That is how a rebuild is done.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Some people have said that we don't have top end talent, I can't say that I agree with that. Our prospects have just not materialized into top end talent yet! Domi can't carry the work load of five other skaters, hes not god and will need help. Dvorak looks like he will bloom into a fantastic second line, two way center. Perlini could become the 30+ goal a year scorer we crave. Fisher has the opportunity to show that he can be the power forward that will replace Doan in the next few years. Strome could quite possibly be a slow to rise #1 center and Keller could be that insane skill player that makes us jump out of our seat. Duclair had a down year but he could still bounce back and become a 25 goal guy. Merkley still has a shot at becoming an NHL player, he's just been dealt the injury bug. And of course there are the lesser prospects like Garland, Bunting, Crouse, Looke, Pederson, and MacInnis. I'm confident that once we have a few years under our belt with these guys we will be able to ice at least one top six line and maybe have a full set.

Keller - Strome - Fisher
Domi - Vilardi/Glass/Suzuki/Mittelstadt/Necas - Duclair
Perlini - Dvorak - Merkley/Garland

This could be our top 9 in 3 years, That's a huge success rate with first and second round picks. Maybe its half of that but it's still better than where we stand today. Just have patience.

I agree, but you can't call them top end talent until they prove they are. Most prospects never play in the NHL and many top end juniors don't make an impact at the NHL level. I think/hope that some of the players you mentioned can become top six players.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Looking to make a hockey trade that is both fair and respectful for both teams.

I'm of the opinion that fair trades sting for both teams. It has to as that means both teams are parting with valuable assets.

"I BELIEVE" that Derek Stepan is a #1 center. His production over the last 3-5 years bears that out. His usage by two very different and successful Head Coaches in my opinion supports that belief.

The Rangers have center depth from which to deal from, AZ has some solid youth and picks to move that could go a long way towards improvi g the team now and for the next 4 years.

I'm not asking for Strome, Keller, Domi, Dvorak, or Perlini

I think a fair trade would be something along the lines of Christian Fischer & 7OA. I personally feel there should be another asset headed our way, but I also recognize the cap implications a deal like this does for NYR. So I will leave it up to you.

Moving Fischer and 7OA stings, moving Stepan stings. But both teams get a benefit out of the transaction.

Yotes add a #1 Center that can slide back to #2 should Strome over take him in 2 years (it's going to take that at least. No knock, just my thought)

Rangers get a solid winger with upside and an early pick in what has been widely accepted as a somewhat soft draft to help replenish our shallow prospect pool.

Not here to start a pissing contest. Just think you have a plethora of young wingers and picks that that can be moved to improve your center depth and the Rangers have some center depth that can be used to address the shallow system while freeing up some cap space.

Thoughts?

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I'm of the opinion that fair trades sting for both teams. It has to as that means both teams are parting with valuable assets.

"I BELIEVE" that Derek Stepan is a #1 center. His production over the last 3-5 years bears that out. His usage by two very different and successful Head Coaches in my opinion supports that belief.

The Rangers have center depth from which to deal from, AZ has some solid youth and picks to move that could go a long way towards improvi g the team now and for the next 4 years.

I think a fair trade would be something along the lines of Christian Fischer & 7OA. I personally feel there should be another asset headed our way, but I also recognize the cap implications a deal like this does for NYR. So I will leave it up to you.

Moving Fischer and 7OA stings, moving Stepan stings. But both teams get a benefit out of the transaction.

Yotes add a #1 Center that can slide back to #2 should Strome over take him in 2 years (it's going to take that at least. No knock, just my thought)

Rangers get a solid winger with upside and an early pick in what has been widely accepted as a somewhat soft draft to help replenish our shallow prospect pool.

Not here to start a pissing contest. Just think you have a plethora of young wingers and picks that that can be moved to improve your center depth and the Rangers have some center depth that can be used to address the shallow system while freeing up some cap space.

Thoughts?

I agree, a trade needs to benefit both teams. I would make this trade as proposed, assuming there is no way Hanzal would sign with us.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think Stepan is a lower end #1 and part of the attraction is the idea the Rangers need to change things up and he may be available. Perhaps adding another contract helps NYR. I get the Coyotes won't get him for free but I would not include the 7th overall pick. I would also replace Fischer with another winger as he is one of the few RHS on the team. I am thinking the Minnesota pick, Mcinnis, and/or Merkley

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think Stepan is a lower end #1 and part of the attraction is the idea the Rangers need to change things up and he may be available. Perhaps adding another contract helps NYR. I get the Coyotes won't get him for free but I would not include the 7th overall pick. I would also replace Fischer with another winger as he is one of the few RHS on the team. I am thinking the Minnesota pick, Mcinnis, and/or Merkley

Respectfully, I'm not sure that that combination of assets works, in my opinion.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Respectfully, I'm not sure that that combination of assets works, in my opinion.

Understandable. I just think ducky's depiction of what we would be prepared to offer more closely reflects where we are at as an organization. AZ would be prepared to do something based around 23.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Understandable. I just think ducky's depiction of what we would be prepared to offer more closely reflects where we are at as an organization. AZ would be prepared to do something based around 23.

That's more than understandable.

Not sure it's much of an incentive to get the Rangers to commit.

I do like what AZ is doing out in the desert. And I'm excited to see the rivalry develop between you guys and Las Vegas.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would do #23 and Perlini and a second for Stepan. I would resign Hanzal and let Richardson go. That would give us Stepan, Dvorak, Strome and Hanzal. We could really protect Strome well and bring him along slowly with this depth at center.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't do it, and in 2-3 years I may be kicking myself for not but I hope we continue to stockpile and let the kids grow. You want to ship us Girardi with Stepan? I'd support GMC to throw you a 3rd and Bunting or something along those lines.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Thoughts?

Just because Stepan and Hanzal were both #1 centers on the Rangers and Yotes last year does not mean they are true #1C's. I believe Stepan is a true #2 and Hanzal a #3, and both could play up in pinch. I would love Stepan on the Coyotes as he is a very good player, but there is no way that I would part with the 7OA for him. We are very weak on the RW as it is, so I would try to peddle a LW if possible. I would consider trading the 23OA.

I agree, a trade needs to benefit both teams. I would make this trade as proposed, assuming there is no way Hanzal would sign with us.

Not me.:)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I am thinking the Minnesota pick, Mcinnis, and/or Merkley

I'd offer something similar and be willing to take Girardi.

I think it'd get both teams where they want to go.

Rangers get rid of Girardi's cap which means they can go add the pieces they need/want. They also clear Stepan's cap and pick up some quality young pieces.

We get a veteran C for Tippett to lean on and buy out Girardi.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would do #23 and Perlini and a second for Stepan. I would resign Hanzal and let Richardson go. That would give us Stepan, Dvorak, Strome and Hanzal. We could really protect Strome well and bring him along slowly with this depth at center.

Perlini is something this team has not had for years, and he could be much better than Stepan in a year or two. Why do you want to start trading off highly touted kids when we are still rebuilding? Like so many have mentioned, lets wait another year and see what we have.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Rangers get rid of Girardi's cap which means they can go add the pieces they need/want. They also clear Stepan's cap and pick up some quality young pieces.

I could live with this.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Perlini is something this team has not had for years, and he could be much better than Stepan in a year or two. Why do you want to start trading off highly touted kids when we are still rebuilding? Like so many have mentioned, lets wait another year and see what we have.

This is the year to pick up a #1C at a bit of a discount, given the expansion draft. I think that the price for a #1C will be higher next year. This year or next, we will not be able to "steal" a 1C. We will have to give up Perlini level talent this year or next, and as a protected player Perlini's trade value is greater this year than next year.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This is the year to pick up a #1C at a bit of a discount, given the expansion draft. I think that the price for a #1C will be higher next year. This year or next, we will not be able to "steal" a 1C. We will have to give up Perlini level talent this year or next, and as a protected player Perlini's trade value is greater this year than next year.

Not necessarily true, we could end up with a wonder 1-2 punch of Strome and Dvorak. We could draft Glass and he comes into camp and blows DT away, making the team. Then we need scoring wingers like Perlini and Fisher to complement these players. Sure wingers are easier to get bit we really don't have many shoot first guys, let's not subtract from that category.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

While I understand the premise upon which this is being proposed, the Rangers are not looking to clear out Stepan's contract.

He's produced 1st line numbers for the last 5 years and earns 1st line money as is commensurate with production and usage. Not interested in using him as bait to lure a team to take a bad contract.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
While I understand the premise upon which this is being proposed, the Rangers are not looking to clear out Stepan's contract.

He's produced 1st line numbers for the last 5 years and earns 1st line money as is commensurate with production and usage. Not interested in using him as bait to lure a team to take a bad contract.

I would love Stepan on the Coyotes but I would not give up the 7OA.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was not thinking bait per say (2 late first round picks and a second - Minnesota pick 23rd, Merkely 30th and MacInnis 43rd overall is not terrible) but fully understand the perspective from a Rangers fan. Maybe more wishful thinking on our part that the rangers want/need to get rid of some veterans / expensive salary.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Thoughts?

Unless it's a deal where the primary value going to the Rangers is cap space, it isn't happening. Not unless you're really enamored with guys like Capiobianco, Merkley, MacInnis etc...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
They need to draft a 1C, that's pretty much the most realistic way it's going to happen. We have to hope Strome, Dvorak or this years pick become that.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
They need to draft a 1C, that's pretty much the most realistic way it's going to happen. We have to hope Strome, Dvorak or this years pick become that.

We could always end up with 3 2c and I'm fine with that too, so long as our top 9 actually resembles a competitive top 9. I just want us to develop enough talent and continue to develop enough talent that we can have a similar run as Detroit where we make the playoffs for say, the next 15 years straight and we win the cup 3-4 times in that span. Detroit got 4 cups in 30 years, Pittsburg is working on it's 3rd in 9 years, Chicago has 3 in 9 years, Boston has 2 in 7. I want that kind of track record for this team and in order to achieve that you have to suck and stockpile. That's where we are now, let's just keep it up.

Rant wasn't directed at you btw sin, just a continuation of a thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad