Speculation: Tradable Assets

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
But there's still a lottery. You can't draft early unless you win. That's reality. I don't understand how you can say that there isn't some degree of luck involved. That's ludicrous.

Maloney got canned because he lost a lottery and then wouldn't deal the 3rd overall pick for immediate help in Hamilton. Maloney elected to go the patient rebuild route with Strome as he hadn't been able to find a top line C in a decade as a GM. Time will tell on if it was right decision.

Probably because luck is that kind of word that gets thrown around too easy today.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Contrary to popular belief around here, individual people do develop over time. Tippett has shown himself to be far more adaptable than most of his critics, who still rely on decade-old hearsay to condemn his philosophy.

Well said Pho. Past behaviour is not an iron clad predictor of future behaviour.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
You do understand how lotteries work right?

You do understand that they're years where a draft is so deep that luck isn't needed in order to get who you want right? There will be years where the draft will have plenty of top end talent to where all someone needs to do is finish as the worst team in the league and at worst will get a great pick still at the 4OV position.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I don't need you to tell me how to post. I will respond the way I want to respond.

I wasn't telling you how to post but giving you a suggestion. Also, nobody can respond anyway they want as there are laws that place limits on speech.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You do understand that they're years where a draft is so deep that luck isn't needed in order to get who you want right? There will be years where the draft will have plenty of top end talent to where all someone needs to do is finish as the worst team in the league and at worst will get a great pick still at the 4OV position.

Had a better than 50 percent chance to pick top 2 and didn't. Because of bad luck.

Remove Matthews from leafs and they are in same position as AZ.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No Matthews would be a really big hit for the Leafs but they would still be way ahead of the Coyotes in terms of talent and results. Leafs have 5 or 6 forwards who would be Coyotes best forward. Goalies are close to a wash and Coyotes would have best D man but Leafs probably have next best 3.
Had a better than 50 percent chance to pick top 2 and didn't. Because of bad luck.

Remove Matthews from leafs and they are in same position as AZ.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No Matthews would be a really big hit for the Leafs but they would still be way ahead of the Coyotes in terms of talent and results. Leafs have 5 or 6 forwards who would be Coyotes best forward. Goalies are close to a wash and Coyotes would have best D man but Leafs probably have next best 3.

Domi can't cut Leafs Top 6? Okay.

My point remains the same. Rebuilds go better when you win a lottery. To win a lottery requires luck.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would put centers over wingers unless winger is a star. That puts Kadri, Nylander, and Bozak top 3. Marner and JVR are both better than Domo right now IMO.

My point remains the same. Rebuilds go better when you win a lottery. To win a lottery requires luck.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

And herein lies the issue with our upset at the Coyotes. We overvalue our own talent and blame our failures on coaching. God knows we need more talent. We can't keep fielding 2nd and 3rd line talent on our top line.

I would trade any number of our prospects for top line talent.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Only to have them walk due to a contract situation or age out.

Some of you don't deserve a proper rebuild.

Correct. 25% of this fanbase LOVES 1st round exits almost as much as our head coach does . This is the land of small dreams. If we can just eek into the postseason and be **** stomped by a first place team than that's the greatest honor available for Tippett and the 25% of posters on this board that still support him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Only to have them walk due to a contract situation or age out.

Some of you don't deserve a proper rebuild.

We haven't drafted the talent necessary for a proper rebuild. We haven't struck gold with any of our picks. (hoping for Keller). As to what I deserve, your comment is just another dig at those who doesn't always share your opinion. We've all fallen in to this "stick it to the guy who I disagree with" mentality and I wish that we could all take a step back and stop the digs.

It isn't a case of what I deserve at all. It is a case of whether I am getting fair value for my season ticket cost. Despite the complete lack of success on the ice and the off ice gong show, I like hockey. I like my buddies who sit next to me. So I buy season tickets. If I should feel like I'm not getting enough back for the money spent, I'll spend the money elsewhere.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
We just need to take advantage of expansion and cap pressures and find another Crouse & another Chychrun deal. Next year, after we see what we've really got with our prospect pool, we can start thinking about which prospects are trade chips.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We just need to take advantage of expansion and cap pressures and find another Crouse & another Chychrun deal. Next year, after we see what we've really got with our prospect pool, we can start thinking about which prospects are trade chips.

You are completely correct. Entirely so.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Grabbing a decent prospect for Girardi seems easy. Not sure Stepan and Girardi would be very hard either because of the amount of cap disappearing. Then the Rags can do their semi-annual crazy UFA thing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It isn't a case of what I deserve at all.

If you continually deny the franchise the one path it has to sustainability, you reap what you sow.

Grabbing a decent prospect for Girardi seems easy. Not sure Stepan and Girardi would be very hard either because of the amount of cap disappearing. Then the Rags can do their semi-annual crazy UFA thing.

Girardi has negative value to every team in the league. The Coyotes would probably only get him if he was carried for a year, then bought out.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I meant taking Girardi and a prospect for little or nothing depending on the prospect in a deal structured like the Crouse deal. You're never going to get anything for Girardi, no.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Correct. 25% of this fanbase LOVES 1st round exits almost as much as our head coach does . This is the land of small dreams. If we can just eek into the postseason and be **** stomped by a first place team than that's the greatest honor available for Tippett and the 25% of posters on this board that still support him.

How do you know what this fanbase LOVES?

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
The problem is anyone other than Doan should be available for the right price. (if Doan comes back). I consider OEL virtually untouchable but would drive him to the airport myself for Mathews and a 1st or McJesus and Eberle. (not that these things would ever happen and I am not proposing it). this team needs to determine the core and allow it to grow while looking for upgrades that make the team better DeAngelo is a perfect example. Identify the core and add pieces slowly at first, and then when the window is open go for the top players. No reason to go for stars for the next couple of years we need to see what we have, and listen to offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad