Speculation: Tradable Assets

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Looking at stats, Doan has been easily replaceable for most of the last 6 years, yet he remains as captain.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Looking at stats, Doan has been easily replaceable for most of the last 6 years, yet he remains as captain.

Difference is Doan was a top player in the league before. He has 20 years of experience, you can't easily replace that. And remember Doan used to have a similar fire that Domi has now. It still came out every once and while last season, but it used to be very common.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think it's more like medium risk, but yeah it's probably not worth it. I'd kick the tires on including him in a package if such a thing became an option but would be against something like a Mueller/Wolski scenery change deal.

you mean trade a young player who had a bad year for a journeyman?

Never a good thing to do.

The coyotes just need to stay the course and actually see if they can develop these young guys. They have sucked for a long time. Why not a little longer?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As zona fans, would you consider

Trouba and Petan
For
Chychrun and Strome?

Nope

I personally would do Chychrun for Trouba but others here believe Chychrun's upside is greater coupled with the differences in salary and cost controlled years and will harshly disagree.

Strome is arguably the top prospect in entire NHL and a Center that wI'll address a gap that has existed in our lineup for over a decade. He's developing nicely and was always a project pick as he needed to get physically stronger especially his leg strength for him to be an everyday player. He's cost controlled for 7 years as well and is coming off a very good development year. Rumors of him being available are based on false logic.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd think hard about Chychrun for Trouba as a foundation for a deal. I'm guessing Winnipeg would want more than that, and that's where it would all fall apart. Not because he isn't worth more, but because of the value of the ELC in our special circumstances (we're broker than broke).

Petan is nice and all, but I'm pretty patient with Strome. Funny how the narrative has gone from "Strome's a bust. Not likely to be an NHL player" to "Strome's probably still a bust, but maybe we'd take him on our team" since the MC run.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Cost controlled years mean a great deal to a team. I would not do Chick for Trouba based upon that alone. We should deal from our position of strength - left wing. If we want to upgrade our D we don't trade away our most promising young defenseman.

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016
Cost controlled years mean a great deal to a team. I would not do Chick for Trouba based upon that alone. We should deal from our position of strength - left wing. If we want to upgrade our D we don't trade away our most promising young defenseman.

Trouba is under team control for four more seasons. He is also a bonifide 1A d-man. chych may get there, but GMs place less value on "blue sky" potential than the HF boards seeming do (jets fans are very guilty of this in regard to kyle connor). Thus why I asked... The extra years of team control dont make up that difference, thus its chych and big + for Trouba. To compare, morrissey (just turned 22) played #1 pairing minutes all year, would you trade him straight up for OEL who is 3 years older than Trouba? Likely not.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No, I agree. Trouba is worth Chychrun+ something of real value. We'd probably disagree on the plus size, but that isn't surprising. I'm just guessing given the fact we're dead broke means they aren't going to want to pay full price for Trouba. They'll value the ELC more than that. In your deal, they're giving up two bluechip ELC's. I doubt they belly up to that rail.

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016
No, I agree. Trouba is worth Chychrun+ something of real value. We'd probably disagree on the plus size, but that isn't surprising. I'm just guessing given the fact we're dead broke means they aren't going to want to pay full price for Trouba. They'll value the ELC more than that. In your deal, they're giving up two bluechip ELC's. I doubt they belly up to that rail.

I honestly came here and asked as I dont know the value of Strome... his stock was high, then low and now high again..

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I honestly came here and asked as I dont know the value of Strome... his stock was high, then low and now high again..

Yes, I would say that the Coyotes will want to hold on to both Chychrun and Strome, even for a solid RHD. I'm guessing any transactions will be more related to picks and b-level prospects this draft.

We definitely can't give up on Strome at this point, especially since we're not expected to be competitive for at least 2-3 seasons. We drafted Chychrun at an awesome price as well, so we definitely shouldn't be moving him for at least two to three seasons (depending on how he does and if OEL re-signs).

The only "expendable" D in my mind (meaning those that I'd be willing to give up) are Murphy, Connauton, and DeAngelo and I doubt any of them gets us Trouba. OEL is probably our best player, Goligoski is probably happy here (but may waive his NMC/NTC if the team continues to struggles this season), and Schenn has fit in well with the team. Now, if we go to prospect D, Wood might have some decent value, but I think we hold on to him at least one more season.

Taking a quick look at the Jets roster, you can probably find a better trade partner than us for Trouba, especially to find a #2 LHD (I'm guessing that's what's being sought). I also think the #13 pick could get you a D-man as BPA.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Some of you need to give your head a shake. To even have a thought of moving Strome or Keller is just plain silly. Strome I can see, however, I would almost guarantee would end killing us watching him develop on someone else's time. But Keller? No, not even for a second. He was dominant at the iihf tournament playing against NHL players. No, not Keller.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Some of you need to give your head a shake. To even have a thought of moving Strome or Keller is just plain silly.

Did someone mention moving Keller? If so, I must have missed it or blocked it out :)

I agree on Strome as well, we need to re-evaluate him in around 2020 (or so) before considering moving him unless someone offers us a similar player to Seguin or Taveras. I by no means think Strome will get to either of those levels, just mentioning my value (or perhaps overvalue) of him at this point (a top 20, decent aged Center) if included in trades.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
It could be nothing gets traded from the Coyotes again until the next trade deadline.

Peering into my crystal ball...

I think we'll try to take advantage of something prior to the expansion draft, but it won't be monumental. Maybe 1-2 moves at the most.

We may also end making a move on draft day to move up (or down), but it will be a minor move. I'd guess 1 or possibly 2 moves on Draft day as well.

Trade deadline? who would we be moving? Richardson? Vrbata (if re-signed)? Schenn (if he's still here)? Other than that, the cupboard's pretty bare unless Smith wants out. Something to think about in terms of Smith:
(11-12) 67 GP | 2.21 | .930
(12-13) 34 GP | 2.58 | .910
(13-14) 62 GP | 2.64 | .915
(14-15) 62 GP | 3.16 | .904
(15-16) 32 GP | 2.63 | .916
(16-17) 55 GP | 2.92 | .914​
What kind of year will he have in 17-18? It could either be really good or really bad.

In terms of Smith's trade value, I'm thinking it's higher now than it probably will be by the trade deadline, but if he maintains his play (keeping it around or just below what he had this past season), I could see a move if Tippett allows it.

Of course, I tend to lean towards SV% rather than GAA in terms of guessing how a goalie will do (when solely using basic stats), so I'm thinking he might have a bad year in 17-18 (especially if we don't get him some defensive help) :(

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The international ice is perfect for someone like Keller, jury still out on how he'll do with noticeably less time and space. But yeah, no way in hell they should trade him or Strome for that matter!!!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Cant see Winnipeg trading Trouba straight up for Chychrun. Trouba is NOW a #1 dman. Chychrun could be one possibly in the future. That uncertainty would cost a considerable amount.

I do love the idea of a OEL - Trouba pairing playing 25 minutes a night.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Doan is no where near the player he was, but I still believe he still can bring something to the table with this young team for one more year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cant see Winnipeg trading Trouba straight up for Chychrun. Trouba is NOW a #1 dman. Chychrun could be one possibly in the future. That uncertainty would cost a considerable amount.

I do love the idea of a OEL - Trouba pairing playing 25 minutes a night.

I'd happily just keep him. No sense in shipping him out. Doesn't make much sense.

Trading any core young player at this stage of a rebuild can really come back and bite you in the a--.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad