Speculation: Tradable Assets

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
OEL (on the fence), Domi, Keller, Dvo, and Perlini.

Everyone else is movable. If we could get a RHD for Strome, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
^^^

This.

There are certain players that we are willing to take on and certain players that we are willing to lose. If it means selling a player who is exempt from protection, we can demand a higher return, and maximize that sale.

As an example (and one that I wouldn't want to do anyhow):

Perlini's exempt status makes him super valuable to a team that may have to make a decision like the Rangers have with Stepan. Not saying that they are one-to-one equivalents, but Perlini straight up for Stepan would suddenly have a lot more attractiveness to both sides. I don't think Perlini is the player that we would be willing to give up, but that does mean that a player like Crouse, DeAngelo, or even Strome has now become far more valuable.

Find the elite players below the age of 27 who have big, unsustainable contracts or are mired in a dispute. Those are the "veterans" we may be willing to deal for. Stepan, Eakin, and Nichushkin are high on my list there.

Not sure what the appeal is of adding Nich to a team that already has a glut of LH wingers. If we can even get him to return from the KHL.

What about Brandon Dubinsky? Adds a bit of sand paper, relatively young, good in the dot, and have Columbus retain some salary.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Scott Hartnell would be an interesting veteran to add from the CBJ (mostly because he'd be cheap as they have expansion protection issues) but he's another LWer.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What about Brandon Dubinsky? Adds a bit of sand paper, relatively young, good in the dot, and have Columbus retain some salary.

Dubinsky would also be interesting.

As for Nichushkin, my understanding was that he plays RW. I don't mind having a high amount of LH shots, but balance to the lineup is key. Would rather have a true RW that is a LH shot than plug a LH shot there who has primarily been on the left side. Depth-wise, that allows us to put Nichushkin, Duclair, and Fischer at RW. If we have to make a decision on Duclair and Nichushkin in the future, then we are in decent shape. Which LW do we lose for Nichushkin? Rieder and Martinook are both protected, which may not fit into Dallas' plans.

Rieder, 5th OA, and 2018 conditional 5th round pick for Nichushkin and 9th OA (pending the lottery helping neither us nor Dallas)?

Domi-Strome-Nichushkin
Perlini-Dvorak-Fischer
Martinook-Richardson-Duclair
Crouse-Dauphin-Doan
Keller

Assumes that Vrbata and Doan come back. Any other free agent add pushes players down the chart, where C is still our weakest position depth.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Add to Rieder for Nichushkin? Not on your life. I'd think about trading Rieder for Nichushkin if there was a second asset that's better than Nichushkin also in the deal.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Galchenyuk as the 3LW tonight. What's a fair return for him once the Habs are eliminated?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Duke could be offered but I doubt the Habs see that as enough. Not sure I would offer much more???
Galchenyuk as the 3LW tonight. What's a fair return for him once the Habs are eliminated?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Duclair and Minnesotas 1st for Galchenyuk and a 2nd.

Galchenyuk looks appealing on paper but his lack of defense and especially his poor FO% makes him a bad fit for a Tippett team in the west IMO. Example of a player being forced at center when they're realistically a winger. RNH has the same problem with faceoffs but is a better two way player.

I'd rather have Duclair in that scenario, just for the chemistry.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Galchenyuk looks appealing on paper but his lack of defense and especially his poor FO% makes him a bad fit for a Tippett team in the west IMO.

Galchenyuk was pulling 48% in the dot last season on 100 more draws, FWIW. Not sure why there was a sharp regression this year.

Even if Gally wants out Montreal still has all the strings. Bergervin can wait this one out unless he gets an offer he likes, and it will likely take more than just the MIN 1st and Duke.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Galchenyuk looks appealing on paper but his lack of defense and especially his poor FO% makes him a bad fit for a Tippett team in the west IMO. Example of a player being forced at center when they're realistically a winger. RNH has the same problem with faceoffs but is a better two way player.

I'd rather have Duclair in that scenario, just for the chemistry.

If it only took Duclair and Minny's first, I would do that in a heart beat. Domi doesn't need Duke.

Galchenyuk was pulling 48% in the dot last season on 100 more draws, FWIW. Not sure why there was a sharp regression this year.

Even if Gally wants out Montreal still has all the strings. Bergervin can wait this one out unless he gets an offer he likes, and it will likely take more than just the MIN 1st and Duke.

I agree.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Add to Rieder for Nichushkin? Not on your life. I'd think about trading Rieder for Nichushkin if there was a second asset that's better than Nichushkin also in the deal.

I probably should have done better research on this, but b/c Dallas does not have Nichushkin under contract (only own his rights) does that mean that he doesn't need to be protected? If the Stars have to protect Reider, then they may have to make another roster decision. Not the same as if we were trading an exempt player for an exempt (possibly) Nichushkin.

I feel like Nichushkin is a better player than Reider, with a higher offensive ceiling. Yes, the Russian factor is there. We also have no idea how he may react with Tippett. From a pure player and talent perspective email, I have Nichushkin considerably ahead of Reider. And I am poor with trade value for the NHL, so you are probably correct that it would not take adding on the Coyotes end

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Stars need to protect Nich, yes.

Thank you. Incorrect thought on my part.

Does Nichushkin's situation mean that Dallas may not consider protecting him? Seems like Vegas would get his rights for nothing, but with no guarantee that he would agree to a new deal. Maybe a better overall question is how do teams view injuries or contract rights, and is it worth a calculated risk for a team to expose a player that might be a risk for Vegas to take?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Interesting how Murphy and Rieder are the two players currently leading in the poll. Could we move Murphy for someone like Stepan, Tyler Johnson, Galch, or even Duchene? Murph+ 2nd, or Min's 1st? Before his injury Galch was doing really well, he had like 23 points in 25 games.

Columbus also looks like they'll have some cap issues, with Clarkson on IR they still only finished the year with 1.6m in cap space. They have to resign Wennberg this offseason. Is David Savard someone who could be a good fit here? Trade Schenn+pick for Savard and Hartnell.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I honestly might have Domi as the captain. OEL doesn't seem too vocal, or that he could get mad at a teammate. Domi has the fire and passion, and from social media seems to be a well liked guy, and a good leader. If I'm going to battle, I want Domi giving me a pump up speech over OEL.

Agreed...on a horse, with blue face paint and a Scottish accent.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thank you. Incorrect thought on my part.

Does Nichushkin's situation mean that Dallas may not consider protecting him? Seems like Vegas would get his rights for nothing, but with no guarantee that he would agree to a new deal. Maybe a better overall question is how do teams view injuries or contract rights, and is it worth a calculated risk for a team to expose a player that might be a risk for Vegas to take?

IIRC Jim Nill says he plays to protect Nich from Vegas

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's funny.

You're correct though, OEL isn't that guy. Trying to make him that guy, could/may cause his play to suffer.

Why? Who said he is not vocal? Besides, you don't have to be vocal to be Captain.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Agreed...on a horse, with blue face paint and a Scottish accent.

I want to see Martinook as a C or an A. He is a natural leader, vocal and well liked in the room. He also keeps the room loose with his sense of humor. Domi's fire is not necessarily what the Coyotes need in a captain. They need a steady hand from their captain, and a captain who can keep the bigger picture in mind. They don't need a captain who is strung as tight as Domi on the ice.

While I understand the belief that a 3rd line forward shouldn't be the captain, I disagree. Leadership in the room and excelling at the job is what counts to me. Martinook's job is 3rd line forward, not 1st line forward.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
IIRC Jim Nill says he plays to protect Nich from Vegas

Gotcha.

On the list of tradeable assets - I look at other team's assets that are in a similar position as Nichushkin (probably not too many taking his route) where the team is forced to protect someone playing overseas. Unfortunately for us, I think the players that would be most appealing to another franchise are all exempt on our team, when compared to our protected list.

Also, I wouldn't put it past Chayka to really put an effort into the NMC/NTC players. Depending on situation, I could see us adding a player via trade in the 28-30 age range with 2 or 3 years left on a deal with NMC/NTC implications. Considering the work that he did to acquire talent using the LTIR piece, I am intrigued to see how we continue to align ourselves.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I want to see Martinook as a C or an A. He is a natural leader, vocal and well liked in the room. He also keeps the room loose with his sense of humor. Domi's fire is not necessarily what the Coyotes need in a captain. They need a steady hand from their captain, and a captain who can keep the bigger picture in mind. They don't need a captain who is strung as tight as Domi on the ice.

While I understand the belief that a 3rd line forward shouldn't be the captain, I disagree. Leadership in the room and excelling at the job is what counts to me. Martinook's job is 3rd line forward, not 1st line forward.

No, just no.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Dave? Is that you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad