Toronto - Winnipeg Stanley Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
The Canadian fantasy of a Leafs-Jets SCF is a looooooong shot. There are many more likely pairings that might end up in the SCFs.

Next season this event will have a better chance.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
In the US sure. In Canada no. Leaf fan base is already big and then all the band wagoners would come out as well. And then everyone who hates Toronto would cheer for the small town Jets.
Canada population - 36 million

U.S. population - 323 million

And uninterested parties wouldn't cheer for small town Jets, they just wouldn't care

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Just curious what peoples thoughts on this match up would be. Would you be excited to see these two teams compete head to head for the Stanley Cup? Who do you give the edge too?

Because we must be in some parallel dimension, this could actually happen this year. Both teams are pretty great and at the top of the league.

Personally I think it would go 7 and then I don't know could go either way.

Oh also this would be a Stanley Cup Final with no American team. What effect do you think this would have?

Toronto in 4 IMO

Better leadership
Better forward group more reliable and playoff experience etc etc
Better 1C
Better well rounded d altho missing one piece
Better coaching
Goaltending could really go either way as we have yet to see either in the playoffs

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
canadian teams wins either way so it would be amazing. but losing would suck so bad also. i think it comes down to jets defence if they can shut down leafs scoring they win the series 4-2

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
canadian teams wins either way so it would be amazing. but losing would suck so bad also. i think it comes down to jets defence if they can shut down leafs scoring they win the series 4-2
Jets haven't even come close to shutting down the Leafs scoring. We spanked them with 7 goals last time we played :)

Leafs in 5. Jets simply aren't on their level.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
So I can see my hopes of a fun discussion have already been dashed on the rocks of juvenile stupidity...

La sigh :(
Personally as a Jets fan I'd love to see this. Unfortunately for your thread there are people on both side that will always make this a pissing contest instead of celebrating the good young talent on both teams. The future is bright for both teams but the Leafs would have to go through the Lightning and the Penguins to make the final. The west is wide open right now so I think the Jets would have a easier road to the final. All that said the Jets need to win a playoff game before we talk about winning any playoff series. I guess the point is that both team have to prove they can win in the playoffs before we talk about a Jets/Leafs final.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Jets haven't even come close to shutting down the Leafs scoring. We spanked them with 7 goals last time we played :)

i was answering the OP with my opinion. sorry you felt i cared for your reply :) but yes that was a fun game! congratz

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Personally as a Jets fan I'd love to see this. Unfortunately for your thread there are people on both side that will always make this a pissing contest instead of celebrating the good young talent on both teams. The future is bright for both teams but the Leafs would have to go through the Lightning and the Penguins to make the final. The west is wide open right now so I think the Jets would have a easier road to the final. All that said the Jets need to win a playoff game before we talk about winning any playoff series. I guess the point is that both team have to prove they can win in the playoffs before we talk about a Jets/Leafs final.

Agree with this.

The West isn't murderer's row anymore like it used to be. Most dangerous teams in the league (Tampa, Toronto, Pittsburgh) are in the East.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

WzZzQ3q.jpg

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
This is my favourite possibility to think about because it means one of the teams I cheer for gets a Cup.

Would slightly prefer Toronto winning due to their epic Cup drought, but would still be pretty damn happy if Winnipeg won.

I also think this Cup final scenario would be the most entertaining one in a very long time. Not sure who would win really.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
In the US sure. In Canada no. Leaf fan base is already big and then all the band wagoners would come out as well. And then everyone who hates Toronto would cheer for the small town Jets.
Which means that if this series did happen (Big if) the Canadian TV numbers on TV would just explode. You would have all of the Leafs fans nation wide watching and cheering and all the Leafs haters watching and cheering for the little train engin that could.
The only thing worse than a Leafs-Jets final, would be a Leafs-Oilers final. Talk about one I would pay to miss.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agree with this.

The West isn't murderer's row anymore like it used to be. Most dangerous teams in the league (Tampa, Toronto, Pittsburgh) are in the East.
On what planet are the Leafs one of the 3 most dangerous teams in the NHL. My god the overrating by Leafs fans is getting unbearable. How about you actually do something before you make such a claim.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Exactly, not sure who OP fan of but chill out with these silly expectations about either team. Both are young inexperienced teams that are still developing and have actually achieved nothing to date. Both appear to be playoff teams this year, nothing more until they actually achieve something.

I agree totally that this idea is way to early but fans like to dream and both teams have good reasons to optimistic for the future so what is the harm? The players on the ice will decide what happens over the rest of this season and the ones going forward. Both Leafs and Jets fans have reasons to be very optimistic for the future and see that a Leafs/Jets final is possible if not this year but maybe in the next couple of years. What is the harm of two fan bases that have seen zero success for a long time to dream about the possibilities?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which means that if this series did happen (Big if) the Canadian TV numbers on TV would just explode. You would have all of the Leafs fans nation wide watching and cheering and all the Leafs haters watching and cheering for the little train engin that could.
Why did you quote me? Nothing you said had anything to with your point, in fact it counteracted it. Unless you quoted me by mistake, if so carry on, lol.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Jets are physically too much for leafs to handle in a playoff series. Also it is expected that smaller and shaky players such as Nylander and Marner are not able to hold much of a presence in playoffs.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
it would be the biggest gong show in the planets history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad