Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think it depends on perspective. Is the show Toronto or National focused?

I don't live in TO, love the Leafs, watch most of the show every day. Noodles is not a Leaf homer, if people want him to be he never will be... ever. Does anyone watch the show on TV, other than people in the Leafs region? I do, but I suspect I am in the minority. The number one reason I pick OverDrive over Tim & Sid is because of the Leafs focus and the plethora of good guests they have on for NFL.

I suspect Noodles part is to have a non-Leaf voice (which comes natural to him) on the show to try and keep some non-Leafs/Toronto viewers/listeners.

I like him in general, but if you are looking at the show to be a Leafs love fest he does put a pin in that. I don't mind a voice there to question some of the stuff Hayes goes on about, he needs to be kept in check a little bit now and again.

I will agree, that lately he is not giving credit where it is due. That part I have an issue with, and credit to Hayes and the O-Dog because they do send props to other teams all the time, they don't dwell on it... I find Noodles, even when the Leafs do deserve some live, skirts around it and won't commit to it.

But that does not affect the show for me. He has so many good stories and connections that I think he brings enough other stuff to the show beyond what most complain about here.

I will agree though that a logical replacement would be MJ... Not sure I could take Carlo, though he would bring good knowledge of non-NHL topics that Noodles cannot do and not sure MJ could either.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I don't live in TO, love the Leafs, watch most of the show every day. Noodles is not a Leaf homer, if people want him to be he never will be... ever. Does anyone watch the show on TV, other than people in the Leafs region? I do, but I suspect I am in the minority. The number one reason I pick OverDrive over Tim & Sid is because of the Leafs focus and the plethora of good guests they have on for NFL.

I suspect Noodles part is to have a non-Leaf voice (which comes natural to him) on the show to try and keep some non-Leafs/Toronto viewers/listeners.

I like him in general, but if you are looking at the show to be a Leafs love fest he does put a pin in that. I don't mind a voice there to question some of the stuff Hayes goes on about, he needs to be kept in check a little bit now and again.

I will agree, that lately he is not giving credit where it is due. That part I have an issue with, and credit to Hayes and the O-Dog because they do send props to other teams all the time, they don't dwell on it... I find Noodles, even when the Leafs do deserve some live, skirts around it and won't commit to it.

But that does not affect the show for me. He has so many good stories and connections that I think he brings enough other stuff to the show beyond what most complain about here.

I will agree though that a logical replacement would be MJ... Not sure I could take Carlo, though he would bring good knowledge of non-NHL topics that Noodles cannot do and not sure MJ could either.
No need for a Leafs love fest (especially when the team isn't performing). The issue is that McLennan has a vendetta against the Leafs (likely because he never played here and players that never play here seem to have an issue with the attention the Leafs get) and he refuses to ever say something positive about the Leafs. At the odd time where he almost says something positive about the Leafs, there is always a caveat.

Most people watch/listen hoping for an honest conversation but you can always know where McLennan will stand on any situation re: Leafs. He's incredibly butt-hurt and should have been shipped out west a long time ago.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The easy out for McLennan is a bigger role on the TV focused content. I think it eventually happens.

I could see Bell doing a big diversity shake up. It is night and day between SN and TSN right now, or at least for the hockey broadcast.

I used to be loyal to TSN over SN but right now SN is putting out a much better product.

SN has done quite a bit to close the gap talent wise with TSN, at least with regards to television. Friedman is great and may be the best insider in Canadian Hockey media right now now that McKenzie is retired (or semi-retired, not sure how it’s working). Bieksa despite his recent bull crap has been good as an analyst. And SN stealing Cuthbert finally closed the gap in the department they were sorely lacking in, a great play by play man.

Radio wise I take TSN though solely because of Overdrive. Tim and Sid is fine but I’m never going to pick them over Overdrive. Maybe if they can rework the show with Sid moving on it could compete, but as it stands it just doesn’t compare. Both shows are a right sight better than any other radio show both networks put out, in the Toronto area anyway. If I want other hockey talk there’s a bunch of podcasts I could listen to instead who are more charismatic and/or insightful.

Reactions: Stand Witness

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'm not the biggest Noodles fans, but I don't hate him either. That being said, Mike Johnson is a treasure and I hope TSN doesn't squander what they have with him. Great analyst who played the game and uses analytics (but doesn't lean super hard on them). Also seems to have a better grasp on other sports than both Noodles and O. If they ever bumped Noodles to full time tv the Johnson would be a great full time add. Although I think Johnson could just as easily do full time tv.

Either way, give me more Mike Johnson!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I always thought of OverDrive as a Toronto focused show. After all it's only on TSN 1050 which is in Toronto and on TSN 4 if you want watch it on TV, since that's the TSN regional channel which broadcasts Leafs regional games.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

Good points here. I didn't realize OverDrive is broadcast across Canada. That said, Noodles' visible irritation with Leafs praise does bother me. For someone who "likes players not teams", he does get bent out of shape with Leafs praise. Although I do like him on the show. He has great chemistry with the other guys and his hockey knowledge is good. Funny though, some of the others are calling him out lately. Andi called him "passive aggressive" and, last week, Hayes, before praising the Leafs, said to him "don't be a hater" and Noodles was silently fuming. LOL

I don't mind Carlo. He just needs an honest manager to tell him to "stop with the whiney high voice" and "stop with dumb catchphrases". If he toned those down a bit, he would be okay. I also cut him some slack because he's probably going through incredible daily stress, with his kid. He's doing well handling that.

MJ is good too. Jonas is okay in the role....his ongoing feud with O'Dog is funny....but he's too invested in his politics and world view. He will always take the Beta Male view on everything, which can be tiresome.

Feschuk? Big no. Too serious. Too boring. No to some of the other guests as well. Especially Button. I find his personality the most off-putting on the entire Toronto sports radio scene. (after Gord Miller and POS left)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Good post...If fans want all positive leaf news simply listen to leaf lunch with Andi. That's if you can stomach Andi.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Good points here. I didn't realize OverDrive is broadcast across Canada. That said, Noodles' visible irritation with Leafs praise does bother me. For someone who "likes players not teams", he does get bent out of shape with Leafs praise. Although I do like him on the show. He has great chemistry with the other guys and his hockey knowledge is good. Funny though, some of the others are calling him out lately. Andi called him "passive aggressive" and, last week, Hayes, before praising the Leafs, said to him "don't be a hater" and Noodles was silently fuming. LOL

I don't mind Carlo. He just needs an honest manager to tell him to "stop with the whiney high voice" and "stop with dumb catchphrases". If he toned those down a bit, he would be okay. I also cut him some slack because he's probably going through incredible daily stress, with his kid. He's doing well handling that.

MJ is good too. Jonas is okay in the role....his ongoing feud with O'Dog is funny....but he's too invested in his politics and world view. He will always take the Beta Male view on everything, which can be tiresome.

Feschuk? Big no. Too serious. Too boring. No to some of the other guests as well. Especially Button. I find his personality the most off-putting on the entire Toronto sports radio scene. (after Gord Miller and POS left)
This is accurate. Noodles has such a visible irritation anytime there is any bit of Leafs praise.

Reactions: Curt

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
noooooo.

that whiny voice can stay early morning with the other arrogant prick thanks
A most accurate description of Toronto sports radio morning personalities, you hit the nail on the head and that goes for 590 and 1050.

I'm convinced each of these arrogant blowhards got their job via a high ranking family member who either sponsor or produce the show, other than Ziggy and Coliaicovo who actually played the game and in some capacity have a past relationship with the leafs, (but who aren't any better mind you)

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Overdrive needs to have some negative leaf talk to appease the Toronto haters listening

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jamie McLennan:
I think Habs are a better team than the Leafs, I really do.
I think Suzuki will be better than Matthews, I really do.
I think today Carey Price is the best goalie in the National Hockey League. I really do.
I think the Lord of The Rings is based on a true story. I really do.
Don't forget about the crazy numbers he says during Gerry's Percentages. Hayes and O'Neill give numbers like 30% or 40%, where as McLennan says something stupid like 22%.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gord Miller was on Leafs Lunch and made the sarcastic remark that the Leafs should trade Kerfoot for Pietrangelo per Leafs Nation. It's interesting how caricaturizing a big part of your listening audience seems to be so en vogue when traditional media is struggling so much. Nice one Gord!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Gord Miller was on Leafs Lunch and made the sarcastic remark that the Leafs should trade Kerfoot for Pietrangelo per Leafs Nation. It's interesting how caricaturizing a big part of your listening audience seems to be so en vogue when traditional media is struggling so much. Nice one Gord!
Even if he was being sarcastic I can not remember any Leafs fans proposing that type of trade, since he said Leafs Nation. In fact that sounds like some dumb trade idea you would read on the Trades Rumors and Free Agent board, so maybe Miller was reading HF before he said that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Kypreos and Maclean really need a third voice or actual host to balance out their terrible takes and when they lack knowledge. “Old school” takes and viewpoints they have aren’t completely dead in the water yet but when you come up with a trade as absurd as “Robertson and Kerfoot for Bennett” and neither one mentions how ridiculous it is you don’t have a good balance.

Another example is last week they were discussing Vancouver’s fall from grace and going on about how they lost big players in free agency but neither of them brought up how Benning screwed the cap and couldn’t afford to bring them back. They talked like it was just a lack of hard dollars.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

I heard that earlier. Kypreos has gone full you-know-what if he thinks Dubas should pay Dermott + Robertson for Bennett. Screaming as he usually does to make a point, he was going on about how they have to win now and why "wait" for Robertson to pan out.

I get the "win now" mentality and I agree Bennett could help but we're long past the days of him being marketed as a "former top pick". He's scored more than 13 goals once in his career (rookie season) and isn't setting the world on fire this season either, esp. at $2.5 million. So unless Calgary is taking salary back (you know who) ...

Anyhow, whenever Nick has a strong opinion on something he'll take it to his grave and scream at anyone who thinks otherwise. But he's wrong on this deal.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Ever since Overdrive played the theme from Major League it's been pretty ugly.

Tomorrow will rank up there with the Babcock firing, ZamboniGate and O'Dog Face shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad