Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
What do people here think are the best Leafs-Leafs-specialized podcasts out there? I subscribe to Leafs Nation (Alberga, Stellick) and Locked on Leafs, but am wondering if there is anything more interesting available.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
What do people here think are the best Leafs-Leafs-specialized podcasts out there? I subscribe to Leafs Nation (Alberga, Stellick) and Locked on Leafs, but am wondering if there is anything more interesting available.

The Leafs Report and Steve Dangle Podcast.

The hockey segments of OverDrive (usually Ray Ferraro's segment)

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
On twitter it’s being mentioned that Jim Hughson is not willing to travel during covid and will only be broadcasting Vancouver games (though he isn’t doing the Van game tonight). So hopefully that means we have Cuthbert all season.
Just need Simpson off the air and the Sportsnet TV games can be good.

Reactions: OddyOh

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
On twitter it’s being mentioned that Jim Hughson is not willing to travel during covid and will only be broadcasting Vancouver games (though he isn’t doing the Van game tonight). So hopefully that means we have Cuthbert all season.
giphy.gif

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
To preface what I'm about to say, I'm not one of those people who thinks that Hughson hates the Leafs. I genuinely don't see it and mostly seem him as a straight neutral.

That being said, he was a complete bore to listen to and his voice would put you to sleep during a dull game. He was so goddamn boring during every broadcast that didn't involve Team Canada or the Canucks. As far as I'm concerned, he is the Canadian Joe Buck. He just can't be bothered to show any energy on a broadcast, even come playoff or finals time. It really felt like he didn't want to be there and was chained with golden handcuffs - he hated his job but the money as too good.

At the end of the day, Hughson actually gets to do things he enjoys doing and the fact that he's being responsible during this time is honestly worthy of praise - good on ya, Jim. And we finally get a broadcaster who doesn't suck the life out of a broadcast. It's a win for everyone. Simpson, I can mostly tolerate since he generally tends to stay within his role and isn't a motor mouth. Wouldn't miss any sleep is he was reassigned, though - it's pretty clear that it's not just weird for us to not hear him be alongside Jim, considering he called Chris "Jim" several times last night lol.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Good Show on the fan continues to be the worst Leafs analysis in the city. They acknowledge that its Game 1 with ONE scimmage in camp, then proceed to crap all over everything except for Simmonds and Matthews. They somehow manage to crap on Tavares and Nylander somehow. Just pathetic hot takes non-stop from those two.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Good Show on the fan continues to be the worst Leafs analysis in the city. They acknowledge that its Game 1 with ONE scimmage in camp, then proceed to crap all over everything except for Simmonds and Matthews. They somehow manage to crap on Tavares and Nylander somehow. Just pathetic hot takes non-stop from those two.

How does anyone come away from last night with bad things to say about Nylander?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Ray Ferraro quite rightly taking the opportunity today to remind everyone cross checking is a penalty. Surprised more hasn't been made about that ridiculous Matthews sequence we would never hear the end of it if that was McDavid, Oiler fans would be queuing up their McDavid is the only star player who is victimized as usual.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Ray Ferraro quite rightly taking the opportunity today to remind everyone cross checking is a penalty. Surprised more hasn't been made about that ridiculous Matthews sequence we would never hear the end of it if that was McDavid, Oiler fans would be queuing up their McDavid is the only star player who is victimized as usual.

It was quite ridiculous that Matthews took 3 blatant vicious cross checks in a row to the back without a call. And yet Habs fans think the refs handed the game to us.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The Leafs Report and Steve Dangle Podcast.

The hockey segments of OverDrive (usually Ray Ferraro's segment)
Does the leafs report do a podcast ready for the morning after every leaf game? My problem with dangle is by the time a new podcast comes out they’re usually talking about games that happened days ago.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Does the leafs report do a podcast ready for the morning after every leaf game? My problem with dangle is by the time a new podcast comes out they’re usually talking about games that happened days ago.

No. Theyre at best weekly.

Aside form Overdrive or other radio shows, I dont know of any good daily podcasts

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
So I'm grabbing my 2nd morning coffee and listening to the chat during the 2nd intermission and somebody (I don't know which 'expert') says, "if Campbell wins tonight do we have a starting goaltender controversy on the team?"

Do these bastards get a bonus when they stir the pot?

Reactions: banks

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So I'm grabbing my 2nd morning coffee and listening to the chat during the 2nd intermission and somebody (I don't know which 'expert') says, "if Campbell wins tonight do we have a starting goaltender controversy on the team?"

Do these bastards get a bonus when they stir the pot?

It wouldn't be a question if Andersen doesn't have a 4.5 GAA.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It wouldn't be a question if Andersen doesn't have a 4.5 GAA.

I'm not worried about who starts, my comment dealt with the word 'controversy'. Why does it need to be framed that way? Keefe will choose his starter, and that's that. No need to manufacture something out of nothing.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'm not worried about who starts, my comment dealt with the word 'controversy'. Why does it need to be framed that way? Keefe will choose his starter, and that's that. No need to manufacture something out of nothing.
Framed as a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->