Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
It's been years since I paid any attention to intermissions. I just mute it and wait for the game to resume.

You can take a break, check other games, talk to somebody, surf the net, or even read a book for a few minutes. It's kind of nice.

Plus anything is better than listening to so-called experts natter on about "confidence" because they don't have any actual insights to offer.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
They don't have a colour guy who comes anything close to Ray. You put Ray with any of the big name play by play guys and its automatically the best broadcast.

No kidding. Sad thing is they did have someone great, when Johnson was colour commentating for RSN he was the best they had. No idea why they let him go or he left, if he’d stayed it would at least close the gap. A Cuthbert-Johnson duo would be fantastic. As it stands Sportsnets loss is TSN’s gain. Johnson is great over there.

Rondo Hatton

Dec 20, 2013
steve dangle annoys the absolute f*** out of me

I can't handle the forced frantic energy for too long. He needs to develop the whole schtick a bit more and just bust out the frustrated/at wit's end Leaf fan persona on rare occasions - like blowing a 5-1 lead to Ottawa

I don't watch him longer than 15 seconds at a time

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I haven't watched intermissions for a few years but this year I've tried and I just can't. Anthony Stewart, god love him but he's a terrible terrible analyst.

About Noodles, his devil's advocate shtick is played out - whoever posted that MJ would be a good replacement was absolutely right. A former athlete that can actually talk about other sports. Mike Johnston, the guy's a budding star.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sportsnet /HNIC are so bad now ... Cant even turn up the volume - I just watch the game … Perhaps they should stick to Hockey instead of trying to brainwash the Country into the cause " du jour ". I hope they lose the next contract to TSN.

CBC has been way behind the times for years and Sportsnet’s broadcast for both hockey and baseball is by far the worst of any around.
I hope TSN gets the next contract as well but if ESPN gets the US deal, especially playoffs, I’ll probably stop watching like I’ve done with football

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I haven't watched intermissions for a few years but this year I've tried and I just can't. Anthony Stewart, god love him but he's a terrible terrible analyst.

About Noodles, his devil's advocate shtick is played out - whoever posted that MJ would be a good replacement was absolutely right. A former athlete that can actually talk about other sports. Mike Johnston, the guy's a budding star.
Mike Johnson is annoying and doesn’t like hockey. He fits in good on Leafs lunch because he goes unchallenged by anyone with knowledge.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Mike Johnson is annoying and doesn’t like hockey. He fits in good on Leafs lunch because he goes unchallenged by anyone with knowledge.
If MJ hates hockey then he's hiding it well. Having both played in the nhl and now in the media post retirement

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If MJ hates hockey then he's hiding it well. Having both played in the nhl and now in the media post retirement
He’s mentioned it several times. Hate is a little strong, but he’s wasnt really a sports fan growing up and he preferred soccer to hockey, baseball or football.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
They don't have a colour guy who comes anything close to Ray. You put Ray with any of the big name play by play guys and its automatically the best broadcast.

On another note, if Boudreau isn't coaching soon, either network would be foolish not to hire him. I think Sportsnets intermissions are pretty horrific. They force feed us Cassie Campbell. Anthony Stewart isn't very interesting. Burke was annoying (but he's gone now). Poulin is a bit boring but I at least find his points generally valid on TSN, O'Dog is O'Dog. Duthie is a better host than Amber or Marek (Marek is legit bad, he should go back to covering WWE).
I just tuned into hockey central and it’s Caroline Cameron (who I don’t mind as a host) with Jennifer botterill Cassie Campbell and Anthony Stewart. What a dog breakfast of analysts.
Rogers really cutting back realizing people are going to watch regardless so why bother with any compelling personalities

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Hate to pile on but I don’t watch any games live anymore. I record them and start watching 30 mins later. Just skip through the intermissions. Intermissions outside of Chris Johnson are awful. Anthony Stewart provides next to no insight. For a guy who played hockey his entire life I am often left wondering how much he really understands the game. Odd.

downer ending

Jul 5, 2020
Scarbz
Oh I never watch the intermissions. I don't even pay attention to sports media other than Trades, Signings, draft etc.

If I were a fan of any other team I might, but Leafs Media is just full of "sky is falling types"

People saying the season was over after that loss to the sens after having a great season so far.. despicable.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Hate to pile on but I don’t watch any games live anymore. I record them and start watching 30 mins later. Just skip through the intermissions. Intermissions outside of Chris Johnson are awful. Anthony Stewart provides next to no insight. For a guy who played hockey his entire life I am often left wondering how much he really understands the game. Odd.
Cant stand Chris Johnson - No clues!

Anthony Stewart ticks the required boxes so get used to him …

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I listen to every bit during intermissions, post game, pregame etc. If I just taped and watched the play sure its quicker but not nearly as entertaining. It's why some sports have hours of pregame telecasts, all about the buildup, suspense and anticipation that waiting brings on.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Anthony Stewart provides next to no insight. For a guy who played hockey his entire life I am often left wondering how much he really understands the game. Odd.
Bit funny since his biggest downside as a player was having next to no hockey IQ :laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Cause overdrive provides good content and it not just about the leafs/hockey. They also have enough clout to get decent guests on frequently.
Overdrive now spends way too much time on their personal crap and bits that no one gives a **** about. I appreciate the banter at the start or coming off break for a minute or two but now its bordering on the ridiculous. Last week they spent the first 45 minutes burning through airtime on absolutely nothing.

Not to mention the 1000 interuptions by Noodles when guests are on to make his usual ridiculous points.

In the past I only listened to tsn but now I only listen to sportsnet minus the special guest interviews.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
most ppl DO like Steve and hang on his every word, if the success of his podcast, book, tv show, and engagement with Leafs fans via social media is any indication. I'm not here to defend him, but its really disingenuous to suggest otherwise, especially when the truth is so obvious. You would have been better off saying that YOU dont like Steve Dangle, which is perfectly fine.

IMO, If anyone affiliated with him is insufferable, its his co-host its Adam Wylde or whatever, the show may as well have his name in the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: Confucius

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
most ppl DO like Steve and hang on his every word, if the success of his podcast, book, tv show, and engagement with Leafs fans via social media is any indication. I'm not here to defend him, but its really disingenuous to suggest otherwise, especially when the truth is so obvious. You would have been better off saying that YOU dont like Steve Dangle, which is perfectly fine.

IMO, If anyone affiliated with him is insufferable, its his co-host its Adam Wylde or whatever, the show may as well have his name in the title.

No, he’s really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad