Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He was something completely different in the sports radio market. He doesnt care about the day to day discussion. Anyone can do that. He talked a lot about the business side and the larger topics in the sports and he could get anyone for an interview. He also was broadcast right across Canada, so that explains the lack of focused Leafs discussion.

I didnt listen to him all the time. I only listened when he had topics that interested me. He was the best interviewer in Canadian sports media, thats for sure. Overdrive was always the priority listen, but with the advent of podcast downloads I listened to most of both shows after they aired.
A successful broadcast would be just talk Hockey, focus 90% of it on Leafs. Ignore all else. Sure you may lose the national audience, however many dozen that might be. Alright there are ten's of thousands of Leaf fans throughout the country, you'd still have them. The added local fans would more than makeup for the ones lost due to them wanting to here about football, baseball and Teams like Calgary.

I remember one of the sports casters joked (But it was true) if he wanted to fill his whole segment and keep the phone lines maxed out he could just come in and say........ Leafs, go

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
A successful broadcast would be just talk Hockey, focus 90% of it on Leafs. Ignore all else. Sure you may lose the national audience, however many dozen that might be. Alright there are ten's of thousands of Leaf fans throughout the country, you'd still have them. The added local fans would more than makeup for the ones lost due to them wanting to here about football, baseball and Teams like Calgary.

I remember one of the sports casters joked (But it was true) if he wanted to fill his whole segment and keep the phone lines maxed out he could just come in and say........ Leafs, go

He was the successful sports radio broadcaster in Canada by a significant margin.

Leafs Lunch is a disaster. Talking about only the Leafs isn't a great idea if the host can't carry it

Reactions: Blowfish

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He was the successful sports radio broadcaster in Canada by a significant margin.

Leafs Lunch is a disaster. Talking about only the Leafs isn't a great idea if the host can't carry it
I like andi but I don’t think she should be a leafs radio host. I like her take on women in sports and she’s so knowledgeable about soccer and other sports, I’d love to see her do more of the obscure sports

Reactions: Blowfish

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Trying to be woke while trying to be profitable business organization is a joke.

Problem is that people who work there are 20-49 year olds, their executives are in their mid 50-60's and they try to appeal to millenial sjw-warriors. When their customers/listeneers are boomers who don't want to hear blm wokeness hour 24/7. Which is driven by employees who live in their liberal millenial bubble. But they don't understand that their pals don't listen to radio. So their opinions shouldn't matter at all when it comes down to product.

I'm partly happy because of these layoffs. They got what they deserved. It's a business and you always need to put your customers interests first. And boomers don't care about wokeness hour so shut up and talk about sports. That's what your customers want to hear.
I’m kind of thinking nobody really wants to read this post. Ha have some heart Leafer. Cold

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Oh man, Noodles was really pumping the tires of the Habs during the Ferraro segment. Hope we beat them tonight and shut him up for the next two days.
They are both good teams and should be a good one. The first meeting was like an exhibition game.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Continue here.

Discuss sports media shows, personalities and news.

Please keep it civil.
I know I’ve said this to you and others before but your profile pic is the best one in any forum
Picture perfect tells it all about the man and his dedication to everyone around him and to our leaf organization...
He was incredible
Thank you Mr. Bower

Reactions: TMLeafer

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Some of the people on the radio I don't understand how they get there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I just remembered that McLennan's wife Stephanie who he mentions a lot is one of the producers of OverDrive, so I guess that means no chance of him being replaced or why he wasn't fired when Bell made those other firings at TSN.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Jamie McLennan:
I think Habs are a better team than the Leafs, I really do.
I think Suzuki will be better than Matthews, I really do.
I think today Carey Price is the best goalie in the National Hockey League. I really do.
I think the Lord of The Rings is based on a true story. I really do.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The easy out for McLennan is a bigger role on the TV focused content. I think it eventually happens.

I could see Bell doing a big diversity shake up. It is night and day between SN and TSN right now, or at least for the hockey broadcast.

I used to be loyal to TSN over SN but right now SN is putting out a much better product.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Noodles is an arrogant coward that has deep rooted issues with the fans of the city that he currently works in. There's no problem with people speaking negatively about the Leafs but it's strange that there can't be a conversation about the Leafs on this Toronto based show without him talking poorly about the Leafs or getting bent out of shape.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
a cardboard cutout of noodles would provide more insight into overdrive. Noodles talks purely in cliches, like a Interview between periods. He has no substance to his takes at all
I said this before about McLennan and I will say it again.

He once talked about how Toronto barely made the playoffs in 2017 which is true since they only clinched in their 81st game. However he failed to mention that Boston also clinched their playoff spot during their 81st game that year and the only reason Toronto finished behind them in the standings was due to the Bruins having more ROW wins which was 42 compared to 39 for the Leafs, since both teams had 95 points each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad