Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Today we're celebrating Bell Shut Up. Where Bell invites you to STFU about their business practices, and for every person that complains about the layoffs on social media Bell will reduce the severance package by 5 dollars.

Last edited:

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
- Bell Lets Talk about mental health
- Shutsdown 3 radio stations.

They probably won't but kind of wish Hayes, Noodles, ODog at 4:01 would get up and walk out in protest. 1050 would be dead without those 3

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Kind of want to hear this.

I wonder if Overdrive has a shake up coming.
The only logical shake up would be Noodles to only game broadcasts and a new third wheel but I can’t see that happening right now... I think at some point it will. Noodles gets a bigger role on the TV side.

I could also see Overdrive becoming a national show running in the same time slot but less Leaf focused and more Canada (NHL wise) focused.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The only logical shake up would be Noodles to only game broadcasts and a new third wheel but I can’t see that happening right now... I think at some point it will. Noodles gets a bigger role on the TV side.

I could also see Overdrive becoming a national show running in the same time slot but less Leaf focused and more Canada (NHL wise) focused.

I don’t see it going national, what makes it a great show is their focus on the leafs and their attachment/personal connection to the leafs. They need to add Carlo or Mike Johnson to the show and have Noodles do daily call ins like ray ferraro. It would make the show better. Noodles provides really good insight in terms of NHL but he’s lost every where else. I will admit he has made an effort to be more up to date on different sports.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Very true... nobody is making the morning commute anymore... nobody is listening.
Not to get all preachy but a lot of us are essential and our work lives haven't changed a bit.
The roads are packed as they always were.

Pretty shitty move by Bell none the less. On air? Cold.

Reactions: Damisoph

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
bbb.jpg

I have this thing where I can't listen to music on the radio because it's repetitive and mainstream. So I listen to talk radio instead. TSN 1040 was one of those few options for me. It was good. They talked about the Leafs way more than they pretended to hate them. This sucks. Bell sucks. I hope Bell decides to fire the Leafs and give up their share in MLSE.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My money is they did a cost benefit analysis and realized that they needed to cut guys. Radio is probably not popular. I am surprised it did not happen earlier TBH, and we are likely going to see more analysts and insiders get cut too.

I think, besides a small handful of people, nobody likes watching or hearing them and they are not cheap. Most of them make six figures a piece and provide little to no value to the station anymore.

They will likely also look to bring in diversity to attract new viewers.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Living in Vancouver, listening to 1040 is part of my routine. Just sad it happened and truly piss how Bell just stopped this way.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Bell are sellouts. They outsource all kinds of jobs to india etc for a buck. They don’t give a darn about Canadians and our families. I learned of their dirty ways a long time ago. Corporate welfare cases. The CRTC is their little lap dog too.

Sorry to all the regular people they screwed over again in Canada. If they had nothing to do with the Leafs it would be to much. I don’t give them a nickel. Boycott them. It’s always the only way you can bite the shark back :)

Reactions: Stigma

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Trying to be woke while trying to be profitable business organization is a joke.

Problem is that people who work there are 20-49 year olds, their executives are in their mid 50-60's and they try to appeal to millenial sjw-warriors. When their customers/listeneers are boomers who don't want to hear blm wokeness hour 24/7. Which is driven by employees who live in their liberal millenial bubble. But they don't understand that their pals don't listen to radio. So their opinions shouldn't matter at all when it comes down to product.

I'm partly happy because of these layoffs. They got what they deserved. It's a business and you always need to put your customers interests first. And boomers don't care about wokeness hour so shut up and talk about sports. That's what your customers want to hear.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Trying to be woke while trying to be profitable business organization is a joke.

Problem is that people who work there are 20-49 year olds, their executives are in their mid 50-60's and they try to appeal to millenial sjw-warriors. When their customers/listeneers are boomers who don't want to hear blm wokeness hour 24/7. Which is driven by employees who live in their liberal millenial bubble. But they don't understand that their pals don't listen to radio. So their opinions shouldn't matter at all when it comes down to product.

I'm partly happy because of these layoffs. They got what they deserved. It's a business and you always need to put your customers interests first. And boomers don't care about wokeness hour so shut up and talk about sports. That's what your customers want to hear.
So you're happy people got laid off in the middle of a pandemic because Bell is too "woke" for you?

What a terrible post. Really shows what type of person you are.

Reactions: Kanu and definedMF

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
They played f***ing good riddance (time of your life) by Green Day - how tone deaf can you be
One of the worst songs on earth. Absolute force-fed nostalgic cheese. Perfect for the empty vessels at Bell to play.

Next Bell Let's Talk day, people should expose these guys and their greasy ways.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Overdrive is the most popular sports radio show in Canada. Bell isn't going to shake that up

Rogers was so incredibly stupid firing McCown. He had that timeslot in an iron grip and they pissed it away
I couldn't listen to him the last couple of years. He barely talked sports and wasn't a fan of the Leafs. Mostly he talked about his personal life, who cared? He rarely mentioned hockey on the rare time he talked sports.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I couldn't listen to him the last couple of years. He barely talked sports and wasn't a fan of the Leafs. Mostly he talked about his personal life, who cared? He rarely mentioned hockey on the rare time he talked sports.

He was something completely different in the sports radio market. He doesnt care about the day to day discussion. Anyone can do that. He talked a lot about the business side and the larger topics in the sports and he could get anyone for an interview. He also was broadcast right across Canada, so that explains the lack of focused Leafs discussion.

I didnt listen to him all the time. I only listened when he had topics that interested me. He was the best interviewer in Canadian sports media, thats for sure. Overdrive was always the priority listen, but with the advent of podcast downloads I listened to most of both shows after they aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad