Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Sportsnet /HNIC are so bad now ... Cant even turn up the volume - I just watch the game … Perhaps they should stick to Hockey instead of trying to brainwash the Country into the cause " du jour ". I hope they lose the next contract to TSN.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Sportsnet /HNIC are so bad now ... Cant even turn up the volume - I just watch the game … Perhaps they should stick to Hockey instead of trying to brainwash the Country into the cause " du jour ". I hope they lose the next contract to TSN.

If you think Sportsnet/HNIC is bad in that context, TSN would be infinitely worse.

I totally agree HNIC has reached its lowest level ever, and TSN would likely be a better option. But TSN would most definitely use their platform for the cause "du jour" that would be beyond insufferable (and they are already really bad for it right now).

Reactions: Auston 316

forecheck

May 14, 2007
If you think Sportsnet/HNIC is bad in that context, TSN would be infinitely worse.

I totally agree HNIC has reached its lowest level ever, and TSN would likely be a better option. But TSN would most definitely use their platform for the cause "du jour" that would be beyond insufferable (and they are already really bad for it right now).

Perhaps - Either way - I am done with their production - just watching the games - and shutting down the Pre game and Intermission content .

Reactions: Auston 316

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Perhaps - Either way - I am done with their production - just watching the games - and shutting down the Pre game and Intermission content .

Hey, I'm not disagreeing at all with you here. HNIC (and now extended to Sportsnet) is a shell of its former self. It was phenomenal at its peak. Now we have Ron MacLean pandering to these causes. A subpar panel. Nothing enticing during intermissions like Coach's Corner and Satellite Hotstove when they were "must watch" in their hey days. And everything is so corporate and politically correct -- even Elliotte Friedman, one of the best in the business, has fallen victim to becoming a complete corporate lackey. Sad.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Hey, I'm not disagreeing at all with you here. HNIC (and now extended to Sportsnet) is a shell of its former self. It was phenomenal at its peak. Now we have Ron MacLean pandering to these causes. A subpar panel. Nothing enticing during intermissions like Coach's Corner and Satellite Hotstove when they were "must watch" in their hey days. And everything is so corporate and politically correct -- even Elliotte Friedman, one of the best in the business, has fallen victim to becoming a complete corporate lackey. Sad.

Totally Agree!

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016

Literally everything they air outside of the actual game is garbage content. I've found a remedy though that my girlfriend loves because it doesn't involve me scowling at the tv for 15 mins: Mike Tysons Mysteries on Netflix. 13 minute episodes that I can put on during intermission and have a laugh instead of a stroke. Lol

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Anyone else feel Noodles should get replaced on overdrive or be left to a small segment like Ray is?

They should replace him with Mike Johnson. I thought MJ was a hockey only guy then on friday he gets asked about JJ Watt and rifles off his sack stats and cap hit off the top of his head. He makes Leaf lunch palatable whenever he co hosts it.

My biggest grype with Noodles is that he ONLY knows hockey. He just goes along or talks out of his ass on any non hockey subject. Yeah O-Dog is not much better but he at least puts forth a better effort with regards to other sports, and seems to know his stuff with golf and baseball. Him and Hayes wont shut up with the golf lately.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I somehow missed Kypreos saying Toronto should trade Robertson and Kerfoot for Sam Bennett lmao.

It's sad he'll say stuff to make him look dumb just to get more attention. That's why any Leaf deals are also such a higher price for them according to the media than other teams.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
SN has done quite a bit to close the gap talent wise with TSN, at least with regards to television. Friedman is great and may be the best insider in Canadian Hockey media right now now that McKenzie is retired (or semi-retired, not sure how it’s working). Bieksa despite his recent bull crap has been good as an analyst. And SN stealing Cuthbert finally closed the gap in the department they were sorely lacking in, a great play by play man.

Radio wise I take TSN though solely because of Overdrive. Tim and Sid is fine but I’m never going to pick them over Overdrive. Maybe if they can rework the show with Sid moving on it could compete, but as it stands it just doesn’t compare. Both shows are a right sight better than any other radio show both networks put out, in the Toronto area anyway. If I want other hockey talk there’s a bunch of podcasts I could listen to instead who are more charismatic and/or insightful.
They don't have a colour guy who comes anything close to Ray. You put Ray with any of the big name play by play guys and its automatically the best broadcast.

On another note, if Boudreau isn't coaching soon, either network would be foolish not to hire him. I think Sportsnets intermissions are pretty horrific. They force feed us Cassie Campbell. Anthony Stewart isn't very interesting. Burke was annoying (but he's gone now). Poulin is a bit boring but I at least find his points generally valid on TSN, O'Dog is O'Dog. Duthie is a better host than Amber or Marek (Marek is legit bad, he should go back to covering WWE).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would watch the intermission for the Headlines, but I can also just look them up online so I don't try super hard to see them.

Media has been subpar for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad