Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No matter who the GM is we always end up turning on them. If Lou stayed here long enough we would have turned on him.
Unless they win. I think if the Leafs loss but still scores goals, then people will be less upset bc we know the team can score(at least they are built to score) but their D is iffy. However, they were literally shutout for 3 games if not for a 4mins play. That’s just show they are really not as good as they think.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
I love Overdrive. But, Jamie´s constant ¨yeah... yeah...yeah¨ when someone is talking is a small annoyance. I wish he would mute he mic sometimes, or shake his head.

Reactions: Garyboy

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I love Overdrive. But, Jamie´s constant ¨yeah... yeah...yeah¨ when someone is talking is a small annoyance. I wish he would mute he mic sometimes, or shake his head.

Why even have a Ray Ferraro segment when Noodles sucks up all the airtime?

Noodles is a f***ing idiot. He tries so hard to be the 'devil's advocate' but he really just hates on the Leafs. Hey Noodles - this is a Toronto radio station. They're going to talk about the Leafs.

He's such a puke and gets defensive and butt hurt anytime Hayes or O'Neill call him out on his bullshit. Would be a much better show if they replaced him with Mike Johnston (or literally anyone else).

Reactions: Garyboy and Walshy7

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was hoping 1050 would talk less about basketball now that Toronto is out, but all they talked about today was Qa’why(sp) choking.
Hopefully they got that out of their system.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Noodles is a f***ing idiot. He tries so hard to be the 'devil's advocate' but he really just hates on the Leafs. Hey Noodles - this is a Toronto radio station. They're going to talk about the Leafs.

He's such a puke and gets defensive and butt hurt anytime Hayes or O'Neill call him out on his bullshit. Would be a much better show if they replaced him with Mike Johnston (or literally anyone else).
OverDrive - April 12, 2019 - Hour 1
The most famous example was after the Leafs beat the Bruins in game 1, and Jamie brought out the "Leafs got lucky" stance. Jeff and Hayes shut him down good.
I have listed to this a number of times. Love it.

Reactions: LeafChief

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
OverDrive - April 12, 2019 - Hour 1
The most famous example was after the Leafs beat the Bruins in game 1, and Jamie brought out the "Leafs got lucky" stance. Jeff and Hayes shut him down good.
I have listed to this a number of times. Love it.

I remember this, it was awesome. It seemed like Hayes and O'Neill were expecting the shoulda coulda woulda argument. It was after this episode Noodles started to tone it down on the Leafs hate, this season he applauded them more than ever and I wouldn't say it came across as genuine. And btw, I'm all for "balance" on the show, I don't want to listen to a podcast where everyone agrees everyday. But when it comes to Noodles the guy can barely speak coherently not to mention the talking in the circles, he's unbearable. I get the vibe that Hayes and O aren't his biggest fans on a personal level either.

With that said, Overdrive as a whole has been slipping this season, I can't put my finger on why but it feels that way IMO.

Reactions: Garyboy

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I remember this, it was awesome. It seemed like Hayes and O'Neill were expecting the shoulda coulda woulda argument. It was after this episode Noodles started to tone it down on the Leafs hate, this season he applauded them more than ever and I wouldn't say it came across as genuine. And btw, I'm all for "balance" on the show, I don't want to listen to a podcast where everyone agrees everyday. But when it comes to Noodles the guy can barely speak coherently not to mention the talking in the circles, he's unbearable. I get the vibe that Hayes and O aren't his biggest fans on a personal level either.

With that said, Overdrive as a whole has been slipping this season, I can't put my finger on why but it feels that way IMO.
It needs a shake-up. I agree with you that balance is important. Noodles is terrible and should be let go. O'Neill is a bit of a mess himself but he brings qualities that make him enjoyable.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Mrs. Matthews is hot. Yes, I'm middle-aged. LOL

E590F7B9-B928-44A9-A23D-14044395D0C9.png

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Does Kayla Grey have to make everything about race? :help:

Apparently Steve Simmons asked Ujiri a stupid question (surprise surprise), and now she is in a pissing match with him.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I just listened to the actual question as opposed to following the online spat. I actually thought the question was nowhere near as based as it was made out to be nor was there any real connotation to race.

Granted, I just don't think these questions should be brought up, period. Nor do I think racial issues should seep into sports commentary. That's just me.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I was hoping 1050 would talk less about basketball now that Toronto is out, but all they talked about today was Qa’why(sp) choking.
Hopefully they got that out of their system.
They needed to talk about Kawhi choking because if he'd gone on to win it all Toronto would feel that last year's championship was all to do with him. This shows that they won last year as a team and not just because of Kawhi.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They needed to talk about Kawhi choking because if he'd gone on to win it all Toronto would feel that last year's championship was all to do with him. This shows that they won last year as a team and not just because of Kawhi.
Let’s hope they are a one hit wonder and fade into the abyss.

Last edited:
Reactions: the squared circle

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
As usual, Simmonds is a clown. Good on Kayla for calling him out.
Sometimes you wish Dubas would go all Brian Burke on Simmonds as Burke did with Berger.
Simmons is done after this, no way he's digging himself out of it, with Matts covid test reports were critical but not mentioning him by name, now they are totally singling him out

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Maybe it's just me, but I love playing golf and watching it occasionally, but the amount of times they talk their golf games just tunes me out and it just seems like a daily thing that happens.

I was just about to come here and post this. It’s turned into a golf show. They talk too much about their own golf games (every single day) and their Ferraro hits are starting to become 70-80% golf and 20-30% hockey. It’s almost like with Ferraro, they forget to talk about hockey and then at the end don’t have enough time to get in depth with what’s going on in the hockey world.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
I just listened to the actual question as opposed to following the online spat. I actually thought the question was nowhere near as based as it was made out to be nor was there any real connotation to race.

Granted, I just don't think these questions should be brought up, period. Nor do I think racial issues should seep into sports commentary. That's just me.
you're either like 12 or just kinda unread in general, mad that your safe space of sports is being taken away. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: definedMF

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

It is given the context. Listen to the question before and his answer then listen to Simmons question after. It was a tone deaf question minimum.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad