Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Except Hayes was ripping on him, but sure.

Liljegren has in fact gained value. He has been a great top pairing 2 way stud in the AHL in his age 20/21 season. Lost value is incredibly wrong. Lets stop pretending he is on a downward trend.
Also no he won't. Considering he is already an elite AHL d man, I would say no won't be in bust territory.
Lost value suggests you haven't seen him at all with the Marlies.

Who would trade #17 or better for him?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hes 100% correct on Dermott. What did he say that was wrong? He has not lived up to his potential to this point.

I didnt hear his comments on Liljegren. Cant speak to them. But hes a guy who has lost value since his draft and if he doesnt make a solid step forward this year will be soildly in bust territory.
Dermott suffered a major shoulder injury last season that required surgery, and came back when the season was well underway, and still did well.

Any take about him not living up to his potential is simply lacking knowledge, or is just a plain bad take.

He's 23 with less than 160 games of NHL experience. This is exactly what fans and media have done to young Leaf defensemen for decades.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Who would trade #17 or better for him?
At first glance teams like Winnipeg (10) Nashville (11) Edmonton (14) and us at 15 could easily use a young high pedigree ELC RHD to plug into the top 6 next year vs wait for the pile of magic beans to come to fruition.
Now obviously you’re also looking at compensating the difference between his slot (17) and the cost to move up that far and that high. Would Winnipeg entertain 10 for liljegren and a 1st? Maybe.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the third wheel was a more well rounded contributor vs noodles it wouldn’t go off the rails so much. MJ is the perfect guy imo. Overdrive isn’t a local 1 hour leaf focused program. They’re literally TSN’s flagship talk show and they need to cover more than just hackey to stay relevant.
I realize that this is a hockey forum and probably the majority of us are hockey first fans (seeing as we all spend a considerable amount of time here debating cap recapture penalties and How important the third goalie is to an organization ) but there are a lot of people out there who week to week (especially now) are more focused on NFL, MLB and NBA story lines than an awful TB DAL final.
This is another example of parody killing the NHL because unless you’re a fan of either team playing in the final there’s not much in the way of drama or storylines vs the NBA which ramps up as the playoffs continue.
I’m just glad there is a significantly less basketball talk now that the Toronto team has been ousted. Hopefully they go back to irrelevance for another decade.

Reactions: Auston 316 and BM14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
By the way, if anyone thinks we have it "tough" being stuck with Overdrive, I urge you to listen to other sports programming from across Canada. Overdrive is the best sports radio in Canada, and I really dont think its even close.
Probably the best sports radio show in US and Canada.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That might not be appealing to you but I enjoy both the football and basketball talk. Both the Raptors and the NFL are huge in Toronto, so my guess is the majority of listeners will want the mix to stay.

I think the NFL is bigger than a Tampa Dallas final in Toronto, maybe even Canada.

Torontonians do not like hockey. We all know that.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Sounds like Hayes is having a bigger role for FA Frenzy this year. I’ve thought it for a while, I think he will eventually find his way into hosting Leafs regional games... maybe fill in when Duthie is unavailable.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Sounds like Hayes is having a bigger role for FA Frenzy this year. I’ve thought it for a while, I think he will eventually find his way into hosting Leafs regional games... maybe fill in when Duthie is unavailable.

It’s about time. He is capable of so much more.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Even though Hayes is getting on my nerves lately, I think he would be good as a host for Leafs games. It would be nice to have a die hard Leafs fan be the host, all though I'm fine with Duthie still.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Just never, EVER let him try to talk about or evaluate Leaf prospects.

He can't even describe a ham sandwich properly.
I’m a big Hayes fan so I’ll come to his defense. I don’t think Overdrive is a show for prospect talk. It is waaaay too Toronto/general sport centric to really get into Leaf prospects, especially now that they are on the upswing. I think they had some prospect coverage back when it was Leafs lunch, but the Leafs were also bad then. In depth prospect talk would be out of place with their current show, and heck I don’t even know if they would have the time to watch as there is so much reliance on other sports.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I’m a big Hayes fan so I’ll come to his defense. I don’t think Overdrive is a show for prospect talk. It is waaaay too Toronto/general sport centric to really get into Leaf prospects, especially now that they are on the upswing. I think they had some prospect coverage back when it was Leafs lunch, but the Leafs were also bad then. In depth prospect talk would be out of place with their current show, and heck I don’t even know if they would have the time to watch as there is so much reliance on other sports.
Then he should probably stop with his long held narrative about Liljegren being a bust. But then follows it up by saying he says he really doesn't know much about prospects.

He should shut his yap and stick to what he knows. For the record, I do think he's a good host, but stop talking if you don't know your subject matter and leave that to those that do.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The problem isn't the lack of prospect talk. I could care less about if they talked about it or not. The issue is Hayes makes uninformed comments about Lilly being a bust. He acts like he knows something about it when he doesn't. If you don't want to talk about prospects, thats fine, I don't care either way, but he should stop with the takes about the subject then.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Then he should probably stop with his long held narrative about Liljegren being a bust. But then follows it up by saying he says he really doesn't know much about prospects.

He should shut his yap and stick to what he knows. For the record, I do think he's a good host, but stop talking if you don't know your subject matter and leave that to those that do.
Yeah I think he is a fantastic host and overall really like him, but his prospect evaluation of Liljegren is awful. He's had multiple reliable people contradict his opinion, and reality too, but still continues in with the Lilly is a failure narrative.
As you said, he should stick to what he knows.

Also apparently MJ will be beside him during the Free Agency Frenzy show, thats good. Not only is MJ terrific, when Hayes has a crazy take once in a while, MJ will be there to get him to step back.

Reactions: kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The problem isn't the lack of prospect talk. I could care less about if they talked about it or not. The issue is Hayes makes uninformed comments about Lilly being a bust. He acts like he knows something about it when he doesn't. If you don't want to talk about prospects, thats fine, I don't care either way, but he should stop with the takes about the subject then.
He’s getting his info from guys like Button, Bobby Mac who have cast doubts on Liljegren. And watching him play, too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He better keep his opinions to himself though. If he is going to host, he can't bring his ignorant hot takes along with him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think he is a ignorant loud mouth, self centered roomie with no knowledge lol.

Last edited:

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
He better keep his opinions to himself though. If he is going to host, he can't bring his ignorant hot takes along with him.
Yeah, this is what I don't get. I like him quite a bit, but I think there's an ego element to those comments. Like his status in this city has gone to his head and he can do, or say, no wrong now. I also think that outspoken, opinionated sports commentators - Hayes, O'Dog, Carlo, Button - need bad guys to their good guys. Just like political commentators too. It goes with that type of personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad