Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Why? The chemistry on Overdrive makes it the only good hockey show on the planet and with a couple exceptions most hockey talk people are absolute disasters, at least the overdrive dynamic is fun. Noodles isn't the most knowledgeable (and he's completely lost after hockey) but give me him over a self-righteous blowhard like Craig Button any day of the week. Not that Noodles isn't like that sometimes but he's nowhere near as bad.
I'll never understand how Button still has a job in Hockey Media, let alone TSN.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Why? The chemistry on Overdrive makes it the only good hockey show on the planet and with a couple exceptions most hockey talk people are absolute disasters, at least the overdrive dynamic is fun. Noodles isn't the most knowledgeable (and he's completely lost after hockey) but give me him over a self-righteous blowhard like Craig Button any day of the week. Not that Noodles isn't like that sometimes but he's nowhere near as bad.
Mike Johnson would do a much better job than Noodles.

Overdrive already as O-Dog to be the dumb co-host. Noodles being a second dumb co-host is repetitive.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Overdrive already as O-Dog to be the dumb co-host. Noodles being a second dumb co-host is repetitive.

Johnson would be absolutely perfect. AND he has actual knowledge of other sports too. Noodles and odog talk in cliches whenever Hayes talks about other sports noodles is way worse than odog when it comes to other sports but odog isn’t great either (outside of golf).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Johnson would be absolutely perfect. AND he has actual knowledge of other sports too. Noodles and odog talk in cliches whenever Hayes talks about other sports noodles is way worse than odog when it comes to other sports but odog isn’t great either (outside of golf).
Noodles has horrible take after horrible take. Hayes and O-dog back away from calling him out on his terrible takes because in the past when they have, he has gotten very sensitive.

It doesn't make for good TV or radio.

Hopefully the new boss removes Noodles. Re-assign him out west.

Reactions: Walshy7

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
They're completely clueless on anyone other than the Leafs and overrate other players to try and seem knowledgable, usually with vague statements like "he's a hell of a player"...they have some annoying tendencies and aren't great analysts but honestly who is? Kevin Bieksa and Ray Ferraro that's probably my whole list.

That said they're still pretty damn entertaining. Anyone who listens to sports shows for good insight is fooling themselves.
Those two along with Mike Johnson are the top 3 in the game right now, and are honestly the only guys who's opinion I care to hear.

Agreed. I put on Overdrive to have something to look at while cooking breakfast, not to learn about hockey. Lol

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Noodles has horrible take after horrible take. Hayes and O-dog back away from calling him out on his terrible takes because in the past when they have, he has gotten very sensitive.

It doesn't make for good TV or radio.

Hopefully the new boss removes Noodles. Re-assign him out west.
Send him to Edmonton. Clearly where he belongs at this point lol.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

Yeah I do like Mike Johnson, but as I said it's a very short list of personalties who aren't awful and I personally find Noodles more entertaining than annoying although he definitely skirts that line basically anytime he makes a hottake, but they're all kind of guilty of that.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
bwwwhahahaaaaa

This isn't a joke?

Haha I was waiting for this to come up. I hated Babcock as a coach but I would absolutely be interested in watching him as a commentator, not for insight obviously he'll essentially be a Burke-esque dinosaur but Babs was good for soundbites.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Haha I was waiting for this to come up. I hated Babcock as a coach but I would absolutely be interested in watching him as a commentator, not for insight obviously he'll essentially be a Burke-esque dinosaur but Babs was good for soundbites.

He'll help identify the gud pros
May even have someone at SN rank the staff

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So do we know yet if it’ll be Cuthbert or Hughson calling our National games on Sportsnet? I’m really hoping it’s the former, but I would not be surprised if we were still screwed and it’s the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Haha I was waiting for this to come up. I hated Babcock as a coach but I would absolutely be interested in watching him as a commentator, not for insight obviously he'll essentially be a Burke-esque dinosaur but Babs was good for soundbites.[/QUOT

“I will always bet on Mike Babcock.”
-Mike Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad