Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I was just about to come here and post this. It’s turned into a golf show. They talk too much about their own golf games (every single day) and their Ferraro hits are starting to become 70-80% golf and 20-30% hockey. It’s almost like with Ferraro, they forget to talk about hockey and then at the end don’t have enough time to get in depth with what’s going on in the hockey world.

This is totally it. It's become the guys rambling on about their own golf game and a bunch of had to be there moments. Translates horribly to radio.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
I’m glad to see posters are talking about the golf talk on Overdrive. I really don’t care about their scores or what clubs they use.

Hayes’ hot take today about how Fitzpatrick is arrogant because he went to Harvard lol. That goes against every report about the guy being a class act in the locker room and a great teammate.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I’m glad to see posters are talking about the golf talk on Overdrive. I really don’t care about their scores or what clubs they use.

Hayes’ hot take today about how Fitzpatrick is arrogant because he went to Harvard lol. That goes against every report about the guy being a class act in the locker room and a great teammate.
Hayes is getting worse and worse by the day. Unfortunate because I always liked him as a host.

Reactions: Brobust

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I guess today was part 2 of Hayes ripping on Leafs young defencemen. A couple days ago it was Dermott, and today it was Liljegren. Let me guess Monday, Sandin?
Did Hayes forget what Bob told him about Liljegren in Feb?
He and O'Neil are so clueless on prospects.

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I guess today was part 2 of Hayes ripping on Leafs young defencemen. A couple days ago it was Dermott, and today it was Liljegren. Let me guess Monday, Sandin?
Hayes didn’t say anything out of line about Dermott, it was all true. Didn’t hear the Liljegren comments.

Anyways, people still thinking Overdrive is Leafs Lunch are wrong. To be in the prime time slot you gotta talk all sports. I also think some people expect it to be more traditional sports radio, which again it is not.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hayes didn’t say anything out of line about Dermott, it was all true. Didn’t hear the Liljegren comments.

Anyways, people still thinking Overdrive is Leafs Lunch are wrong. To be in the prime time slot you gotta talk all sports. I also think some people expect it to be more traditional sports radio, which again it is not.
Exactly. Although, they talk far too much basketball and football trying to be too much like north East US radio show.

Reactions: hoglund

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Fair but I thought he was a bit harsh on Dermott.

Reactions: kb

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I've come to the realization that pretty much every one covering sports is just very stupid except for Bob Mckenzie, who looks like a goddamn genius compared to his dumbass colleagues.
Most are just there to generate controversy and views, or to perpetuate outdated, simplistic narratives that the casual fan can relate to.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
For whatever reason Hayes has been incredibly bearish on him from basically him being selected.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Because he knows absolutely nothing about prospects.
It probably has to do with the fact he was touted as a top 5 pick in the early part of his Draft year and fell due to mono and an awful WJC

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I've come to the realization that pretty much every one covering sports is just very stupid except for Bob Mckenzie, who looks like a goddamn genius compared to his dumbass colleagues.
He and Mike Johnston are still the best. I loved before the Jackets series, Johnston said "the Leafs were actually not bad defensively. They were 14th/15th in many categories. Hayes just stared him at him in silence:laugh:
It was amazing

For whatever reason Hayes has been incredibly bearish on him from basically him being selected.
He keeps talking about prospects like he knows something about them, when he doesn't.

Reactions: Brobust

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Exactly. Although, they talk far too much basketball and football trying to be too much like north East US radio show.
That might not be appealing to you but I enjoy both the football and basketball talk. Both the Raptors and the NFL are huge in Toronto, so my guess is the majority of listeners will want the mix to stay.

I think the NFL is bigger than a Tampa Dallas final in Toronto, maybe even Canada.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I don’t think in depth analysis really is the live radio game nowadays. Overdrive is my radio show/podcast for a laugh and sports. I listen to 31 Thoughts for NHL insight and the Leaf Report (Mirtle and Jonas) for Leafs insight. Steve Dangle podcast for a mix of a bunch of different things.

I agree adding Mike Johnston would be a big win for Overdrive or any radio/tv/podcast. He can bring the quality analysis and is a great personality too. I can only imagine that he doesn’t want more, because he clearly should.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If the third wheel was a more well rounded contributor vs noodles it wouldn’t go off the rails so much. MJ is the perfect guy imo. Overdrive isn’t a local 1 hour leaf focused program. They’re literally TSN’s flagship talk show and they need to cover more than just hackey to stay relevant.
I realize that this is a hockey forum and probably the majority of us are hockey first fans (seeing as we all spend a considerable amount of time here debating cap recapture penalties and How important the third goalie is to an organization ) but there are a lot of people out there who week to week (especially now) are more focused on NFL, MLB and NBA story lines than an awful TB DAL final.
This is another example of parody killing the NHL because unless you’re a fan of either team playing in the final there’s not much in the way of drama or storylines vs the NBA which ramps up as the playoffs continue.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Hes 100% correct on Dermott. What did he say that was wrong? He has not lived up to his potential to this point.

I didnt hear his comments on Liljegren. Cant speak to them. But hes a guy who has lost value since his draft and if he doesnt make a solid step forward this year will be soildly in bust territory.

Reactions: Stand Witness

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
By the way, if anyone thinks we have it "tough" being stuck with Overdrive, I urge you to listen to other sports programming from across Canada. Overdrive is the best sports radio in Canada, and I really dont think its even close.

Reactions: Stand Witness

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Hes 100% correct on Dermott. What did he say that was wrong? He has not lived up to his potential to this point.

I didnt hear his comments on Liljegren. Cant speak to them. But hes a guy who has lost value since his draft and if he doesnt make a solid step forward this year will be soildly in bust territory.
Is Travis Sanheim a bust? Taken at the same spot at liljegren (17) in 2014 and took until 2018 to fully make the roster. D men take a bit more time to round into form.
It won’t shock me at all when Liljegren starts making a positive impact on the big club pretty soon

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Except Hayes was ripping on him, but sure.

Liljegren has in fact gained value. He has been a great top pairing 2 way stud in the AHL in his age 20/21 season. Lost value is incredibly wrong. Lets stop pretending he is on a downward trend.
Also no he won't. Considering he is already an elite AHL d man, I would say no won't be in bust territory.
Lost value suggests you haven't seen him at all with the Marlies.

Reactions: The Big D

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
By the way, if anyone thinks we have it "tough" being stuck with Overdrive, I urge you to listen to other sports programming from across Canada. Overdrive is the best sports radio in Canada, and I really dont think its even close.
As a lifelong Torontonian now living in the Vancouver area I second this sentiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->