Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Does he forget that 10 years ago they finished 29th out of 30 teams and Brian Burke traded their 2010 and 2011 1st round picks to Boston in the Phil Kessel trade and they were with no lottery protection, which turned out to be 2nd overall in 2010 and 9th overall in 2011.

Wait, what does Boston drafting 2nd and 9th have to with the leafs’ situation then? The picks were gone, what the numbers were meant nothing to us.
Where Carolina picks this year means nothing to us now also.
Would it benefit if they drafter 28th and not 13? Or 27, or 16, or whatever? No.

Our situation is:
4 forwards take up 1/2 the cap.
2 defensemen worth keeping, both left handed.
Wildly inconsistent goalie that is routinely outperformed in the playoffs by his opponent.
No real flexibility with roster.
Philosophy of play that may be exciting, but hasn’t proven to win for anyone outside of Pittsburgh.

He wasn’t wrong on that take.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I will continue to state that anyone that feels turning someones last name into an insult is funny or redeeming in anyway has far more issues then the person they are trying to insult. Like do the people that are calling him Dubass actually think they are being clever or something? lol you can not like a GM without being a child. Unless all of these people are actually 12, then carry on.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I will continue to state that anyone that feels turning someones last name into an insult is funny or redeeming in anyway has far more issues then the person they are trying to insult. Like do the people that are calling him Dubass actually think they are being clever or something? lol you can not like a GM without being a child. Unless all of these people are actually 12, then carry on.
It actually does the opposite of whatever that person is hoping for.
Instantly and irrevocably undermines that person’s opinion.

Reactions: TheShape

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yup but the two posters skipped your post, and the 2nd one just agreed with the previous one.
Thats pretty much being children and insecure. It says a lot about their issues.
I couldn't stand Bozak as a player, but never did I create nicknames for him.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
and that is what dubass earned
Insulting nicknames doesn't help your point, and makes you look desperate
Also no he didn't. A radio host should be a lot more professional. The person who agreed with your post should know that too.

Reactions: WWB

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
It cuts both ways. If Dubas and Matthews want to be treated with respect than they should treat their fans with respect. Ultimately, they are in the position they are in because of the fans. I find Dubas arrogant and demeaning. Mathews says he doesn't care what the fans think. Well, I don't care what he thinks or says and have every right to say what I think of him as he does me.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
It cuts both ways. If Dubas and Matthews want to be treated with respect than they should treat their fans with respect. Ultimately, they are in the position they are in because of the fans. I find Dubas arrogant and demeaning. Mathews says he doesn't care what the fans think. Well, I don't care what he thinks or says and have every right to say what I think of him as he does me.
In what way has Matthews disrespected you or I?
I have never met the guy.
Dubas?
I’ve never met him either.
I must have missed the press conference when they came out and called all Leafs fans morons or something similar.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dubas?
I must have missed the press conference when they came out and called all Leafs fans morons or something similar.
Dubas is implying the fans don't understand what they are watching with this statement.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Insulting nicknames doesn't help your point, and makes you look desperate
Also no he didn't. A radio host should be a lot more professional. The person who agreed with your post should know that too.
So there’s no chance you did any of that with Mike Babcock? :laugh:

...but... but... you like Kyle Dubas, so it’s different. Right?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Hayes was bordeline rude to Dubas today. I wanted to chuckle but the professionalism was gone. Odog wasnt much better.

I didn’t see anything wrong with what Hayes said. He merely challenged Dubas on his defensive stance on Marner. He brought up other players like Point, Rantannen And their contracts and that having a role in expectations etc. This year Dubas was quite defensive with everything and I think Hayes merely suggested ‘ hey hold on a Sec, it’s not that unwarranted’. Now I didn’t hear Tim and Sid, but with the initial media availability vs Dubas on overdrive, I felt Dubas handled the questions from overdrive better. In fact he sounded a bit more understanding and seemed more open minded on how he might approach things moving forward with the team (eg. yes we need grit, etc)

Edit: Just heard Tim and Sid, I see the point some are making, they did handle it better, but again I liked how Dubas also responded better. We'll see, I'm going to remain optimistic.

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Dubas is implying the fans don't understand what they are watching with this statement.

Ever been in management positions at all?
Praise publicly and admonish privately.

Also, what fans though?
The ones who believe Gardiner is a great playoff performer or the ones who believe he crumbles in crunch time?
The fans who believe Kessel is the worst player in the league or those who believed he was a great player?
The fans who loved Mats Sundin and believed he earned his choice to end the contract he signed or the ones who villainized him for seeing his contract to the end?

The fans represent the entire spectrum of beliefs and opinions, often 180 degrees opposite of one another.

So, which fans is Dubas referring to here?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes all my life.
How does Dubas admonish the fans privately?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hayes was bordeline rude to Dubas today. I wanted to chuckle but the professionalism was gone. Odog wasnt much better.

I wouldn't go that far. Hayes was still professional in terms of his demeanor. He was just asking hard questions that are in line with the frustration of the fan base.

Dubas has had a long enough honeymoon period. He also referred to the media/fan criticism of Marner as "idiotic".

If he's going to dish it out, he better be ready to take it. People don't like arrogance, especially from a newbie executive that has seen his team regress since he took over.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Dubas?
what has matty done to me to earn my respect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad