Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if anyone from tsn reads this thread... please tell dave feschuk on your leafs lunch program to stop moving his head every single word he speaks out of his mouth... and if he cant learn to talk without bobbing his head you MUST replace him on the show

gods honest truth... I am unable to even know if anything he says might be worth listening to. that bobble head is just too distracting for tv. he might be fine as a news paper reporter... and maybe ok for a radio broadcast... but leafs lunch gets shown on tv and hes UNWATCHABLE

I will put up with andi's fluff because she is easy on the eyes and I like her emotional reaction to the teams wins/loses... but her co-host has to be able to provide some substance to make up for her fluff. feschuk just fails 100% until he maybe can learn to talk without shaking and nodding his head every single syllable out of his lips

Reactions: Primary Assist

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Noodles is the worst. “Now the leafs didn’t take the cup with them out of St. Louis. You got people online acting like they won the cup”

grow thicker skin buddy

he makes up "quotes" like this all the time. "ive got people on twitter telling me the leafs are for sure winning the cup" its totally made up, he has appointed himself the voice of reason for leafs nation the only problem is 99.9% of leafs nation arent in need of a pompous prick telling us to calm down

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Noodles is the worst. “Now the leafs didn’t take the cup with them out of St. Louis. You got people online acting like they won the cup”

grow thicker skin buddy
He was in a bit of a "mood" yesterday. He seemed legitimately furious that Hayes and Jonas implied that the Leafs are a slightly better team than Florida (it was slightly too). I missed the later segment where they talked about this topic in more detail. Maybe he calmed down by then, but initially he was sour.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Everyone on sportsnet imo are extremely phony people and have an arrogance about them. Literally all of them, minus Brian Burke.

TSN on the otherhand from my perspective have down to earth people. The exact opposite of Sportsnet. Noodles and Dave Poulin could join Sportsnet seamlessly though.

Reactions: Ratboy

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Everyone on sportsnet imo are extremely phony people and have an arrogance about them. Literally all of them, minus Brian Burke.

EXCEPT Burke? He just says the loudmouth jackass radio-guy things, whatever will get a reaction, that dummies think is "telling it like it is". The man is all-bluster.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He was in a bit of a "mood" yesterday. He seemed legitimately furious that Hayes and Jonas implied that the Leafs are a slightly better team than Florida (it was slightly too). I missed the later segment where they talked about this topic in more detail. Maybe he calmed down by then, but initially he was sour.

Sums up noodles, leafs play well need to downplay

any other team on the league plays well “well don’t forget about x team they are playing well”

it’s a ticking Toronto radio show no one gives a f*** about Florida playing well

Reactions: Lilou

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Noodles seems to be like this more so whenever O’Neill isn’t on the show. He knows someone like Jonas isn’t going to give him much pushback in comparison.

I wonder if he’s had a talking to, I’ve noticed Noodles has toned it down a bit this season. That side still comes out followed by “you’re right you’re right, BUT”
Isn’t his wife a producer of the show or something? Unfortunately he isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: stickty111

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Noodles seems to be like this more so whenever O’Neill isn’t on the show. He knows someone like Jonas isn’t going to give him much pushback in comparison.

I wonder if he’s had a talking to, I’ve noticed Noodles has toned it down a bit this season. That side still comes out followed by “you’re right you’re right, BUT”
Isn’t his wife a producer of the show or something? Unfortunately he isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Ha! The old "you're right, you're right, but....". He loves doing that.
I don't mind him with the others.....they have a great chemistry together. He just needs to shut his piehole every now and then. LOL

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

i beleive his wife isnt producer anymore, but that could be just becasue she is on maternity leave? not sure.

Mike Johnson would be an ideal 3rd member of that crew over noodles imo.
A: he is very thought out and reasonable in his takes and not a leaf homer but also not anti-leafs like noodles
B: he actually knows about other sports and wont try to bring every conversation back to hockey
C: knows how to speak English properly and wont say things like "youse guyses"
D: doesn't use cliches in every sentence like he is doing an interview between periods

Reactions: Blowfish

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Players in larger markets can hold out for whatever they want too. Eventually they'll get it.

Only if the GM has no stones! This narrative that Dubas had no leverage because the Leafs are a contender is nonsense driven by the fake news media. Contenders are made in April not July look us, Tampa, Calgary and Nashville this year they may not even be a playoff teams. Edmonton leads the Pacific and were labeled bottom feeder in July. Dubas caved under fear mongering Toronto media and entitled brats. If Matthews and Marner took a million less each we'd have a backup goalie and room to make an in season trade if things falter like they have. And if Prindham is a cap guru then why are the Leafs capped out with an incomplete roster?

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
i beleive his wife isnt producer anymore, but that could be just becasue she is on maternity leave? not sure.

Mike Johnson would be an ideal 3rd member of that crew over noodles imo.
A: he is very thought out and reasonable in his takes and not a leaf homer but also not anti-leafs like noodles
B: he actually knows about other sports and wont try to bring every conversation back to hockey
C: knows how to speak English properly and wont say things like "youse guyses"
D: doesn't use cliches in every sentence like he is doing an interview between periods

Haha! This kills me. It reminds me of this guy I work with who says "alls I know" every third sentence. He even says it in meetings!

Reactions: OddyOh and Walshy7

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
I think Steph still produces just leafs lunch not overdrive. I also notice noodles will go off more when odogs not on probably cause Jeff will interrupt him to no end when its the normal trio

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I just can't do it...still can't get into OverDrive. Noodles kills it for me. I tried watching it the other day for a few minutes and just everything about him annoys me.

He has this arrogant aura around him. He seems like the type of guy who walks into a bar thinking he's the world's greatest being and calls everyone "Bruh".

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I just can't do it...still can't get into OverDrive. Noodles kills it for me. I tried watching it the other day for a few minutes and just everything about him annoys me.

He has this arrogant aura around him. He seems like the type of guy who walks into a bar thinking he's the world's greatest being and calls everyone "Bruh".

100% agree he plays up this Everyman humble persona but there is evidence His personality is contrary to this. He block anyone on Twitter who messages him if it’s not something he agrees with, a laid back Everyman isn’t so thin skinned. When he is talking about going out on a club or whatever you can hear the distain for regular folk in some of those stories.

absolutely ruins the show for me, his contrarian for the sake of contrarian tales are beyond annoying. Hayes will say “well the leafs got a win last night” to open the show and noodles will inevitably say “let’s pump the breaks” within the next 5 mins no doubt, most of the time Hayes is just trying to talk about the game no over the top takes or anything but noodles will no doubt find a way to say “don’t forget about Florida” or <insert team here> He’s a joke ruins the entire show. I think this is the reason of if doesn’t even look in his direction ever

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I get the vibe Hayes doesn’t really care for him either. Recently Noodles was getting long winded (shocker) and Hayes had to interrupt with “ok where are we going with this here?”

It just so happened this was during a Ray segment too, nothing irks me more than Overdrive having a guest on and Noodles soaks up all the airtime.

Reactions: Walshy7

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ennis and Bunkis have to have the worst Leafs show on Toronto radio.

Their critique of the Leafs win on Saturday was absurd. They essentially broke it down to being all Andersen. Why is Toronto the only team held to some standard where wins dont count if the goalie plays good? No other team is held to this standard.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Their critique of the Leafs win on Saturday was absurd. They essentially broke it down to being all Andersen. Why is Toronto the only team held to some standard where wins dont count if the goalie plays good? No other team is held to this standard.

I know this is a crazy concept, but goalies are part of the team and contribute just as much to the success of the team. That's what good goalies do. That's the point of having them.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Those guys are terrible and wrong more often than not. I gave Sportsnet’s content a chance just to change things up and as someone else mentioned those guys are phoney and arrogant. Lifeless, low energy and not at all entertaining.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

And if the other team has their goalie play well, the loss still "counts"

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i fear burke is being over exposed... to me, hes by far the most interesting media guy in Toronto at the moment who is active. I do like his insights from actually being a mover and a shaker for years.

but it seems like im hearing him do 7-10 hits a week now. it reminds me of the days in don cherrys youth where I used to long to hear more from him then a once a week segment. cherry lasted like 30 years by avoiding being over saturated

bill watters was another guy... when I only get a couple little segments a week, I actually really enjoy him a lot... but when he was hosting his own show it got tough to handle. and doug mclean… theres quite a few guys like this i guess.

less is more... keep burke special by reigning him in a bit. I know you fired every other interesting guy you had working for you, but maybe consider bringing some of them back?strong controversial voices are easier to digest if theres more of them and they dont all have the same exact agenda

one guy I feel is currently not being used enough is john Shannon... I like his broadcasters mentality and I think he does usually have a differnt take on things.

I dont even care if a guy is right... just be able to back up his opinions... speak them clearly... and of course have an opinion in the first place.

analysts should be right when they are talking but commentator/sports talk hosts only are required to be entertaining.

burke is usually right imo… I agree with most his takes... but he is entertaining only until he gets over exposed. so be careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad