Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I want to know why 1050 is even going to bother with Overdrive today. They should just pop on ESPN radio for the 3 hours and give Hayes a day off. The only people who will be listening are non-Leafs fans. Who probably don't listen to overdrive anyways. I want to know which Leaf fan will listen to Overdrive on the radio instead of the Leaf game on the radio.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I want to know why 1050 is even going to bother with Overdrive today. They should just pop on ESPN radio for the 3 hours and give Hayes a day off. The only people who will be listening are non-Leafs fans. Who probably don't listen to overdrive anyways. I want to know which Leaf fan will listen to Overdrive on the radio instead of the Leaf game on the radio.

Lots of people listen to the show via podcast.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Just catching up on yesterday's show. You nailed it; he went out of his way to defend Price. Wouldn't shock me if he still thinks Price is the best goalie in the world :laugh:

During the intermission of the Leafs/Detroit game they talked about Montreal and McLennen called Price "the best goalie on the planet when hes on" so yes he does lol

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
*raises hand* I'm a non-leafs fan who listens to Overdrive everyday, live.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Well raps/jays coverage is country wide in relevance and Overdrive is much more than leafs at this point

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Gotta love the Toronto media jumping all over each other to sewer Babs on the way out. Not that he didn't do some bad stuff, but its not like you couldn't have put out similar stories when he was employed but they were afraid of losing access. Pretty reflective of most sports "journalists" being more PR/salesman than bonafide reporters.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Gotta love the Toronto media jumping all over each other to sewer Babs on the way out. Not that he didn't do some bad stuff, but its not like you couldn't have put out similar stories when he was employed but they were afraid of losing access. Pretty reflective of most sports "journalists" being more PR/salesman than bonafide reporters.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
It is just a bit comical. The Boston media does it to people all the time, and I generally think it is in bad taste. Babcock's gone, move on. You probably had some of these stories 2 years ago and held off on them. It just kills people's credibility.

edit: To clarify, I'm not talking about Franzen or Chelios. Just local media who decided to turn on Babs as soon as it was en vogue.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It is just a bit comical. The Boston media does it to people all the time, and I generally think it is in bad taste. Babcock's gone, move on. You probably had some of these stories 2 years ago and held off on them. It just kills people's credibility.

edit: To clarify, I'm not talking about Franzen or Chelios. Just local media who decided to turn on Babs as soon as it was en vogue.

It's a big story what the heck do you expect?

The bigger issue is annoying Andi.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's a big story what the heck do you expect?

The bigger issue is annoying Andi.
The issue is they knew of things like this and held back. How many times does O say, everyone on the team hated him. He wasn't saying that in 2017. I'm sure the Marner story was known before he was fired but held back. Its the fact they won't report this stuff until it becomes time to pile on.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Craig Button can not hide his hate for Babcock - I don't like the piling on myself - I wonder if he would say it to his face .

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Craig Button can not hide his hate for Babcock - I don't like the piling on myself - I wonder if he would say it to his face .
I’ve heard a lot of his comments and I for one at least to the point of “ he’s not coaching here any longer “ narrative am on his side .
Enough about the comparisons from when he coached to the way Keefe now does it .
Talk about milking , I feel bad for the cow man , there ain’t any milk left and I’m udderly exhausted and in pain ...

Reactions: forecheck

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Not sure what these guys are talking about. Sid took an almost max deal (14.5% of cap) when he signed for 12 years. Malkin took an even bigger chunk (14.77%).

Matthews: 14.63%
Tavares: 13.84%
Marner: 13.37%
Nylander: 8.76%

These other teams didn't have this many star players signing all of their deals within a 2 year time frame. Long term these other teams will all run into cap troubles while the leafs will have their core locked up.

Reactions: Walshy7

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure what these guys are talking about. Sid took an almost max deal (14.5% of cap) when he signed for 12 years. Malkin took an even bigger chunk (14.77%).

Matthews: 14.63%
Tavares: 13.84%
Marner: 13.37%
Nylander: 8.76%

These other teams didn't have this many star players signing all of their deals within a 2 year time frame. Long term these other teams will all run into cap troubles while the leafs will have their core locked up.

For 5 years not 12

Reactions: Matthews34

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
That's not remotely true.

Jeff O'Neill has been harping on Babcock for quite some time now, and has been saying that Babs is not liked by people in the hockey world at all - in and out of the rink.

"How many times have you heard anyone say that he's a good guy, a good family guy? Never!"

He has been saying that all season.

I always assumed he hated Babs because of the "Who am I talking to?" comment a couple years ago, but he apparently remains quite connected and is definitely in the know.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's not remotely true.

Jeff O'Neill has been harping on Babcock for quite some time now, and has been saying that Babs is not liked by people in the hockey world at all - in and out of the rink.

"How many times have you heard anyone say that he's a good guy, a good family guy? Never!"

He has been saying that all season.

I always assumed he hated Babs because of the "Who am I talking to?" comment a couple years ago, but he apparently remains quite connected and is definitely in the know.
Don’t remember him saying it from 2015 to 2018.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
What was with them replaying the Soroka interview? Mailing it in like crazy. That type of stuff is okay for a radio show on at 12 am, not a show in prime time imo.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->