Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I dunno man, he seemed really pissed that it was even a subject of discussion. Based on what you said though I suppose I could be wrong so maybe I'll just shut up about it.

All these hockey players were part of abusive hazing, mostly completely demeaning to people. So for any of them to say that Babcock is a horrible human being better look in the mirror, because they all did things 10 times worse than reading a list of lazy players.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
All these hockey players were part of abusive hazing, mostly completely demeaning to people. So for any of them to say that Babcock is a horrible human being better look in the mirror, because they all did things 10 times worse than reading a list of lazy players.

So what are they supposed to say now then? Nothing?

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So what are they supposed to say now then? Nothing?

Haha good question! I mean obviously saying nothing is wrong but when you have to be hypocritical to say something sensible it adds a layer of complexity to the situation doesn't it.

Really glad people are talking about this and shining some light on what is disgusting and really needs to change!

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Haha good question! I mean obviously saying nothing is wrong but when you have to be hypocritical to say something sensible it adds a layer of complexity to the situation doesn't it.

Really glad people are talking about this and shining some light on what is disgusting and really needs to change!
I don't think the Babcock/Peters situation is the same as the hazing thing. Those two were coaches with enough power/sway to determine a young persons NHL career.

The hazing thing needs more time to develop. No one has heard the whole story yet.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Athletic's all-decade nightmare team:
McLaren – Smithson – Orr
J. Blake – Jokinen – Clarkson
Sill – Wallin – Crabb
Rosehill – Dupuis – Hanson

Exelby – Finger
Lebda – Komisarek
Aulie – Holzer
Toskala
Gustavsson

Reactions: OddyOh

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think the Babcock/Peters situation is the same as the hazing thing. Those two were coaches with enough power/sway to determine a young persons NHL career.

The hazing thing needs more time to develop. No one has heard the whole story yet.

We'll never hear the "whole story" as there are way too many stories to tell.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Never forget: Dustin Byfuglien was celebrated for stealing his teammates clothes and throwing them into a shower because he did not like the style of said clothing.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Never forget: Dustin Byfuglien was celebrated for stealing his teammates clothes and throwing them into a shower because he did not like the style of said clothing.
I actually remember the talking idiots on TV celebrating this as some brazen act of leadership. Hockey culture is so toxic.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I actually remember the talking idiots on TV celebrating this as some brazen act of leadership. Hockey culture is so toxic.

Yep, all these guys have taken part in some pretty cringeworthy and humiliating things. But they see fit to bash other guys any chance they get.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017

It was Evander Kanes' clothes and that wasnt the reason, he violated the team dress code and was a toxic presence in the locker room. Buff was a leader in that locker room and sent a message to put Evander Kane in line.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
The Athletic's all-decade nightmare team:
McLaren – Smithson – Orr
J. Blake – Jokinen – Clarkson
Sill – Wallin – Crabb
Rosehill – Dupuis – Hanson

Exelby – Finger
Lebda – Komisarek
Aulie – Holzer
Toskala
Gustavsson

Remember when we were told that the Phaneuf trade would some day be known as the Aulie trade.

So many people today pine for players like Aulie, short memories on those sorts.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
We'll never hear the "whole story" as there are way too many stories to tell.
What I meant is that basically the entire Suter family was called out for serious allegations of sexual abuse. Hazing is one thing, whether you agree with it or not, but sexual abuse is something completely different and should not be taken lightly.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I completely agree. The focus right now is on the coaches, who did some halacious things. But the players better not celebrate too soon because their turn will come. Hockey has some ridiculous, archaic rituals that needs to be rid of.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Yes.

That was the reason?

Kinda..

It was Evander Kanes' clothes and that wasnt the reason, he violated the team dress code and was a toxic presence in the locker room. Buff was a leader in that locker room and sent a message to put Evander Kane in line.

Uh huh. Great leadership.

Would have been far sillier for the veteran, one of the other ~25 black players in the NHL, to take aside the 23 year old and communicate with him the appropriate etiquette and expectations of the franchise, having a better understanding for what the young man is going through from a cultural perspective than anyone.

Not difficult; I do it all the time in the Corporate world. And while Byfuglien was celebrated by the media and hockey world i general for his actions, which were indeed hazing, I can assure you that most minorities who pay attention to the NHL had a similar, vitriolic, reaction; full well knowing what it was he was trying to accomplish with his actions.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Yes.

Kinda..

Uh huh. Great leadership.

Would have been far sillier for the veteran, one of the other ~25 black players in the NHL, to take aside the 23 year old and communicate with him the appropriate etiquette and expectations of the franchise, having a better understanding for what the young man is going through from a cultural perspective than anyone.

Not difficult; I do it all the time in the Corporate world. And while Byfuglien was celebrated by the media and hockey world i general for his actions, which were indeed hazing, I can assure you that most minorities who pay attention to the NHL had a similar, vitriolic, reaction; full well knowing what it was he was trying to accomplish with his actions.

How do you know that Byfuglien and others hadn't already talked to him and Byfuglien did this because he had finally had enough of Kane's behaviour?

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Yep, all these guys have taken part in some pretty cringeworthy and humiliating things. But they see fit to bash other guys any chance they get.

Making sweeping, generalized statements about any group of people is a very stupid thing to do. Do you honestly believe every single former player supported or participated in hazing?

While we are on the topic of hypocrites, I hope you've never criticized anyone else for making generalized statements about a group of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad