Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Listen to hour 3 yesterday with Duthie
That was bad. Jeff is such a baby. The guy still thinks he’s s**t don’t smell because he played in the NHL.

If any average person talked or acted the way he did no one would put up with it. I wonder how much more Hayes can take.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Havent listened since the shutdown. Is Jeff really that bad now? Wow lol
Yeah same. Maybe the stress of the times is getting to o dog and Hayes. Not a lot of sports to talk about. As soon as hockeys back I'll listen again

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
On those rare days I've ended up on the road in the past year, I've given it a short try. It's awful. And it's half commercials for ambulance chasers, ripoff loans and fake ED medications. They don't even seem to have people with the aptitude for radio any longer.

Music, podcasts, audiobooks, silent contemplation are all better alternatives.

Yeah, since I got a new car with Android Auto last summer, play by play if I was in the car during a game is pretty much the only live sports radio that I have listened to.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It gets awkward to listen to as well.

You have to wonder how much longer will TSN or Bryan put up with it.

There’s definitely something going on between Odog and Hayes. Odog takes shots at Hayes every chance he gets and it gets heated on a regular basis now. I think it’s beyond two friends being hard on each other.

I think the issue is Hayes is a know it all and Odog is dumb as nails, so when Hayes gets condescending Odog gets his back up. Maybe if Odog thinks before he speaks more often there would be less arguments.

For the people saying Odog should be off the show, they should realize there would be no Overdrive without him. Before the show was called Overdrive it was just Hayes and Noodles and it was one of the most vanilla shows on the radio. As soon as Odog joined the show he brought the humour and entertainment (every segment was basically created by him) that people tune in for today. Hayes is a great host and sport analyst, but I think the show would have been cancelled by now if Odog didn’t come on board. It’s the most popular Toronto show because of the grit grinder blue collar identity that Odog created. If Odog is gone it’s just like any other vanilla sports talk show on the radio.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
There’s definitely something going on between Odog and Hayes. Odog takes shots at Hayes every chance he gets and it gets heated on a regular basis now. I think it’s beyond two friends being hard on each other.

I think the issue is Hayes is a know it all and Odog is dumb as nails, so when Hayes gets condescending Odog gets his back up. Maybe if Odog thinks before he speaks more often there would be less arguments.

For the people saying Odog should be off the show, they should realize there would be no Overdrive without him. Before the show was called Overdrive it was just Hayes and Noodles and it was one of the most vanilla shows on the radio. As soon as Odog joined the show he brought the humour and entertainment (every segment was basically created by him) that people tune in for today. Hayes is a great host and sport analyst, but I think the show would have been cancelled by now if Odog didn’t come on board. It’s the most popular Toronto show because of the grit grinder blue collar identity that Odog created. If Odog is gone it’s just like any other vanilla sports talk show on the radio.

Overdrive always featured oDog from day one. Maybe you’re referring to leafs lunch which I think was Hayes and Noodles.

Reactions: AreBe

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've said it before...I'm sure it's fun hanging out with your buddies doing a show like OverDrive, but Hayes has potential for so much more than being saddled with a man child (O'Neill) and a complete tool (Noodles). Hayes is just surrounded by utter stupidity.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I've said it before...I'm sure it's fun hanging out with your buddies doing a show like OverDrive, but Hayes has potential for so much more than being saddled with a man child (O'Neill) and a complete tool (Noodles). Hayes is just surrounded by utter stupidity.

this. I used to really like the Bryan Hayes show after leafs lunch. It was so much better than the 3 of them it was just Hayes talking to guests without 2 people who don’t have a clue about other sports trying to join in

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ

I agree. I remember back when it was Blue Lunch//Leafs Lunch and man, it was bland. It got cooking once O came on the scene. But, I´ve often thought how long does Odog survive before he goes too far and gets suspended or canned.
Bryan has hot takes, but that´s his job as a host. Odog calling him stupid on air is a little much.

Update today: Odog is having ¨technical problems¨ and Noodles is filling in. Who should be on vacation. I´m not sure I buy it.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm guessing the fact nobody complains about her is because she's irrevalant.

She’s an ok host. It’s when she starts to put the hockey analyst hat on is when she embarrasses herself. Every time she strays away from the standard beat to death hockey narrative she reveals how clueless she is when it comes to the game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That OverDrive stuff with ODog and Dutchie was great. Every golf group has a bit of that

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I agree. I remember back when it was Blue Lunch//Leafs Lunch and man, it was bland. It got cooking once O came on the scene. But, I´ve often thought how long does Odog survive before he goes too far and gets suspended or canned.
Bryan has hot takes, but that´s his job as a host. Odog calling him stupid on air is a little much.

Update today: Odog is having ¨technical problems¨ and Noodles is filling in. Who should be on vacation. I´m not sure I buy it.
As an outsider (European NHL fan, not of Toronto), I hope everything is OK. Loved listening to Overdrive podcasts when hockey (and sports) was still going on, kinda on break now as some of you are. But they are just miles ahead of anything else TSN or SN has to offer.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
As an outsider (European NHL fan, not of Toronto), I hope everything is OK. Loved listening to Overdrive podcasts when hockey (and sports) was still going on, kinda on break now as some of you are. But they are just miles ahead of anything else TSN or SN has to offer.

I´m technically an outsider too. I live in Philly and our hockey coverage is an absolute joke. I tune into Overdrive because it´s funny and they talk NHL.

Reactions: OzFlyers

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Something is up for sure. I don’t think anyone is believing the “technical issues” bit

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
She’s an ok host. It’s when she starts to put the hockey analyst hat on is when she embarrasses herself. Every time she strays away from the standard beat to death hockey narrative she reveals how clueless she is when it comes to the game.
Being mindfull: 1, it is a TV show , 2, that is inflicted upon the entire country, 3, and she is not there for hockey knowledge.

But let's be balanced- she has been covering hockey for years and her by osmosis alone is going to learn things and she knows things already"

When she was 19, Petrillo began volunteering at her local television station, Rogers Cable York Region in Ontario Canada. She worked behind the scenes on various shows from sports, news, politics, to entertainment. Finally, Petrillo was given an on-air opportunity on the magazine show 'York Region Living,' where she hosted the restaurant segment. Petrillo has often joked about her first on-camera gig: "Figures, as someone of Italian heritage, my first opportunity would come as a restaurant reporter. I got paid in food!" Petrillo's role began to grow at the station and in 2004 the title of Sports Host and Producer became available. The station manager at the time, Lisa McClean Stellick, wanted Petrillo as her sports host, but was met with some push-back by some executives who were concerned about having two women at the desk for the nightly newscast, as the main news host was Jennifer Buchanan. McClean Stellick prevailed and in 2004 Petrillo became the sports host and producer for York Region. She covered various sports and found her niche in hockey where she hosted a weekly live Junior 'A' hockey broadcast. Andi Petrillo - Wikipedia

Reactions: IPS

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Being mindfull: 1, it is a TV show , 2, that is inflicted upon the entire country, 3, and she is not there for hockey knowledge.

But let's be balanced- she has been covering hockey for years and her by osmosis alone is going to learn things and she knows things already"

When she was 19, Petrillo began volunteering at her local television station, Rogers Cable York Region in Ontario Canada. She worked behind the scenes on various shows from sports, news, politics, to entertainment. Finally, Petrillo was given an on-air opportunity on the magazine show 'York Region Living,' where she hosted the restaurant segment. Petrillo has often joked about her first on-camera gig: "Figures, as someone of Italian heritage, my first opportunity would come as a restaurant reporter. I got paid in food!" Petrillo's role began to grow at the station and in 2004 the title of Sports Host and Producer became available. The station manager at the time, Lisa McClean Stellick, wanted Petrillo as her sports host, but was met with some push-back by some executives who were concerned about having two women at the desk for the nightly newscast, as the main news host was Jennifer Buchanan. McClean Stellick prevailed and in 2004 Petrillo became the sports host and producer for York Region. She covered various sports and found her niche in hockey where she hosted a weekly live Junior 'A' hockey broadcast. Andi Petrillo - Wikipedia

I don’t blame her for trying to contribute to the hockey conversation, and her knowledge is decent. But there have been many occasions when she’ll comment about something that only ex-players would be knowledgeable about and she’s been put in her place by guys like Johnson and Poulin. Again, I don’t think she’s bad at her job, she just needs to learn when not to put in her two cents when the opinion is based on assumptions.

Reactions: AreBe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad