Confirmed with Link: Toronto signs Mitch Marner to 6 year extension [10.893M AAV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Too much money, but nevermind, these guys have nowhere to hide if they don't perform

You want the big boy money , you go out there and put the puck in the net, no excuses and I don't wanna hear "we have no depth" because you are costing us depth

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Few thoughts:

- I'm glad he's signed.
- It will take time for my opinion of him to recover, as it will with Bill.
- Dubas might have got them all signed but all 3 core rfa negotiations imo are a failure on his part. He will learn, but it was naive to think the Billy deal was all that was necessary for him to learn.
- These team unfriendly deals basically give us this year to compete and then put us at the mercy of the cap as to what kind of team we can ice next year onwards.
- One of the big four might need to be traded to fix this

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
I can live with it. We overpaid a few players but it's okay if we don't have a boat anchor like a Marleau or a Lucic on the roster.

Lets get the season started.

Agreed, at least we don't have any shitty contacts in the bottom 6 that's one good thing, have to keep it that way now

Reactions: Macallan18

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Few thoughts:

- I'm glad he's signed.
- Dubas might have got them all signed but all 3 core rfa negotiations imo are a failure on his part. He will learn, but it was naive to think the Billy deal was all that was necessary for him to learn.
- These team unfriendly deals basically give us this year to compete and then put us at the mercy of the cap as to what kind of team we can ice next year onwards.

All of this sounds like future problems how about enjoying what we have now?

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Yikes. Time to earn that money kids, maybe win at least 1 round before you start making demands for your next one
Why Dubas has shown he will overpay without a first round win. Why win in the playoffs when you only get paid for the regular season and they make the same for less work losing early.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Good to have him signed up. Lots of money and a risk for him if he does not performe like a super star. But I reckon he will push him self until he does.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Who cares if the contract is an overpayment? I feel the same about Matthews and Nylander, they're signed, I'm happy.

If we sign Barrie or get another RD our only worry in the next 2-3 years will be getting a young, cost effective goaltender to replace Freddy. I'm not interested in a long term deal for what would be a 32 year old goalie at the time.

That's pretty damn impressive given the talent on this roster.

Hopefully Johnsson/Kapanen/Kerfoot tear it up the next couple years and if we need too we can move them when it comes time to sign Lily/Sandin and then the next crop of forwards will hopefully come along loke Roberston & co.

A lot can happen in a few years, let's just enjoy the season and worry about next years defense in the summer.

Reactions: kb and bigbabybuda

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
To be very fair, I do see Marner's point.
Crosby and Malkin signed for the same after ELC.
Getzlaf and Perry signed for the same after ELC.
Toews and Kane signed for the same after ELC.

Why would Marner agree to sign for less than Matthews?

But to be clear, I don't like Marner's contract, nor do I like Matthews contract. I like Nylander's contract though. 6.9 mill for a player of his caliber his fantastic.

Yeah, i guess you're right.

That said.

Im happy the Leafs got it done, but if you told me a year ago this is how things end up i would've been quite shocked.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Few thoughts:

- I'm glad he's signed.
The thing to remember, a year ago we thought this upcoming season would be a very difficult one for us as we had a severe cap crunch that would force us to part way with some talent. Instead, we look stronger than ever. Things can change quickly.

I don't think we need to trade anyone we don't want to. I did the roadmap for this last night. We'll part ways with Ceci after the season. Depending on negotiations, I can see Kapanen traded as well. That space will likely be used on Barrie. Year after that it's Andersen and Hyman. I would be very wary of giving Andersen the contract he's going to ask for at that age. It should our hope that one of Woll and Scott establish themselves as an immediate or close option. There'll be room for Hyman to get a raise. After that it's Rielly. We should have gathered up quite a bit of cap space at that point over the last few years, with cap increases and Kessel's retention coming off, we should be fine extending him. Year after we have Kerfoot and Johnsson, we'll likely lose one of them, but it would be a failure if we didn't have in-house alternatives by then.

And this is all without accounting for someone like Robertson coming up and forcing his way onto the roster earlier than expected. With most of our important pieces signed up with staggered term, it's a cap situation that is maneuverable.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
To put it into perspective, I made the following estimate for the cap hit given different terms (This is calculated by assuming Marner's annual salaries from year 1 to year 6 are 8.4, 8.5, 9, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, with a 2% inflation rate):

6 yr: 10.893
5 yr: 10.311
4 yr: 9.777
3 yr: 8.811
2 yr: 8.535

If you have to choose between these contracts, which would you choose? For me, the longer the better, as long as they can fit him into this year cap. And I'm just glad it is not a 3 year contract for I don't want to go over all these months of negotiations again.

Note that a direct comparison with Matthews' 5-year contract would be 1.3 million less, which looks more reasonable than comparing a 6 year to a 5 year contract (0.7 million less).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
To put it into perspective, I made the following estimate for the cap hit given different terms (This is calculated by assuming Marner's annual salaries from year 1 to year 6 are 8.4, 8.5, 9, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, with a 2% inflation rate):

6 yr: 10.893
5 yr: 10.311
4 yr: 9.777
3 yr: 8.811
2 yr: 8.535

If you have to choose between these contracts, which would you choose? For me, the longer the better, as long as they can fit him into this year cap. And I'm just glad it is not a 3 year contract for I don't want to go over all these months of negotiations again.

Note that a direct comparison with Matthews' 5-year contract would be 1.3 million less, which looks more reasonable than comparing a 6 year to a 5 year contract (0.7 million less).

This is assuming RFA and UFA are equal. That's the problem, Dubas has erased the RFA advantage from this team and possibly parts of the league. His methods in all of this simply don't make sense, unless... MLSE is actually at war with the league and is trying the break rank and screw the american teams to trigger CBA changes and ensure luxury tax or tax equalization strategy is in place (a reach, I know).

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Awesome, I'm happy about this deal.

I've been critical of Mitch during this process, but it's all water under the bridge now.

The leafs overpaid their stars by around 4 million in total and I can live with that.. can't wait for opening night!!

GLG

Did you include Clarkson in that total.

;-)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I’m not defending the deal as a good deal from the get go. There’s always THAT GUY who thinks the sky is falling.

I agree he starting off overpaid, but the last couple years will look like a bargain. By that time Mitch should be a top 5 winger and top 15 player while his cap hit will probably be 20-25th highest.

Our core and quality complimentary players are signed for the next 4+ years. Cap will spike in 2 years with gambling revenues and Seattle expansion. Take a deep breathe bro.
I don't really like this deal but I don't get a say in it.

But if the cap jumps as much as they say it could for year 4, then the back half of this could actually look good.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
It's a bit tough getting excited about the Leafs when I know they just don't have the overall team contract value to contend any time soon. They'll be upper middle of the pack and nothing more.

Reactions: mclaren55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad