Confirmed with Link: Toronto signs Mitch Marner to 6 year extension [10.893M AAV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Doesn't matter if Barrie and Muzzin are UFAs...what they and their agents have learned is that they'll try to squeeze every dollar from the Leafs.
Yes, it does matter. They can go anywhere.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Yes, it does matter. They can go anywhere.
True, they will be totally different negotiations and factors to consider.
For our three young stars, we know they will still be in their prime at the END of their contracts. By the end of their contracts, it is highly unlikely they will be overpaid.
For Barrie and Muzzin, they will arguably be past their prime, but still subject to overpayment by the Bennings of the NHL.
Totally different scenarios.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I'm quite possibly Dubas's biggest critic in the entire ****ing world...

But I just wonder... how much total money do you think has been wasted on these overpayments of the young 3? 2 million? 3 million?

I don't think it's more than that. Sure, he's set a horrible precedent for star rfa's... but we don't have any in the pipeline in the foreseeable future. lol, it's other teams problem now.

I know it would be nice to have that 2-3 million in cap space... but do you really think it's make or break when it comes to the leafs being contenders or not over the next 5 years?

Quite frankly if other teams also have to pay their RFAs similar overpayments then the playing field would be a bit even; if it’s only Toronto that is doing it then it might be problematic

Reactions: glue

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gotta imagine they play Marner Monday right?

Get him in there quickly, a “home” game without the madness of Toronto.

Maybe he scores a goal, or makes a pretty play for a goal, and it gets some of the healing out of the way early.

Most likely not, but I think it’d be smart

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
So the new NHL is having a few players making nearly 40-50% of the cap while 6 or so players are making 10-15 times less money. Kind of reminds me of the OHL where lineups are made up of a few blue chip prospects and a bunch of scrubs.

To be honest, I assumed that the NHL would end up this way eventually when the structure of the hard cap system was announced in July 2005.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
So, I think we are slightly overpaying our top 3, but they will all perform and be worth their contracts. Think of it as one Zaitsev contract in terms of overpayment. What we cannot afford to do going forward is to blow our brains out on a Lucic type deal.
Although for the life of me I still don't understand how we got to where we did on the Ceci deal. Still think we could have dumped him and had Gardiner, but maybe Gardiner's injuries are more troublesome than we know?
On to giving Matthews the C!!!!!!!

That's a good way of looking at it. We are paying the top 3 more than most would agree is wise but at the same time we don't have a single bad contract for a useless player using valuable space (e.g., Lucic, Neal, Marleau, etc.). We're actually in BETTER cap shape than teams having to maneuver around that but of course, the HF boards only dwell on the Leafs' situation.

I'd rather have our problem (i.e., too many good young players) than not have our problem. The absolute worst case scenario is we unload Nylander and ONLY have Matthews, Marner and Tavares on the front end. LOL, even typing it makes me laugh at the haters.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
I remember back in the spring the majority of posters on here saying Marner would never get anything north of $9.5m... like I said then. You can't give Matthews more money when he doesn't show up, kill penalties or block shots and finish with less points than Marner. Matthews got paid on potential. Marner got paid on performance.
Maybe the leaked story to the media about Marner turning down a contract worth just under $11m in June was the catalyst that made Marner blink and agree to that June deal. Either way, if Dubas paid Matthews almost a million more per year I'm glad Marner got this deal. IMO he earned it.

Now Matthews and Nylander have to show they deserve the money they got. Neither has shown that yet.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Very happy this soap is over for now. If you score more goals than your opponent you will win every game I guess.

If we let Ceci walk, we can (almost) resign Barrie. You just need to trade Kapanen or Johnsson (or Kerfoot) to resign Dermott and with a little bit of luck even Muzzin (although I hope not very long term because of age). At least when Rielly is up, we already have the 1.2M (Kessel money), on top of his current contract, reserved. Added with the rise of the cap that year may almost be enough to make that work.

We can freak out about those worries a bit later.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Anybody who thinks this deal is good should get their head examined IMO.

He makes 2.4 million more than Aho. and 1.4 more than Kucherov who is signed for two more years. At 6 years this deal should 10 million at most.

The kids wanted to get paid they have. If we have zero Cups by the end of 4/5 years trade both Matthews and Marner and start again with another group that aren’t just money grabbing punks. A lot of respect has been lost for this group and neither Matthew nor Marner should be considered for the C or an A IMO.

Give Reilly the C
Give JT an A
And have Hyman the other A as he bleeds for this team.

Call it an overreaction but to quote ODOD and Tucker if you want to play for Toronto you would try to work some out that doesn’t cripple the franchise for personal gains.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Tsn staff all on twitter today trying to defend dreger. Totally missing the point, the point wasn’t that he got info right it was the constant shilling for the marner camp all summer. After all that Friedman beat him to it haha too funny. Dreger was the least reputable insider before all this, mainstream insider, after it his credibility is down the drain

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Tsn staff all on twitter today trying to defend dreger. Totally missing the point, the point wasn’t that he got info right it was the constant shilling for the marner camp all summer. After all that Friedman beat him to it haha too funny. Dreger was the least reputable insider before all this, mainstream insider, after it his credibility is down the drain
Here’s the thing with Dreger though, the numbers he kept floating are essentially what happened. We just didn't like what he was suggesting, but he was pretty much bang on in the end.

You can say he was carrying water for the Marner camp, but look at the deal he ultimately signed for...I mean.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I guess we can go back to discussing whether or not zone entries make you a star and endlessly creating line combinations to prove our hockey acumen?

Reactions: The Nic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad