Confirmed with Link: Toronto signs Mitch Marner to 6 year extension [10.893M AAV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Nylander was worth about $6.7M for 6 years, Matthews maybe $11M for 5 years, and Marner $9.5M for 6 years. That's $0.3M, $0.6M, and $1.3M overpayments respectively, and a total of $2.2M. Most teams in the league has that kind of overpayment in one, very replaceable player. Leafs have that in Ceci this season. Overpaying your star players is the least of all management mistakes. It's clear that Dubas hasn't been great in these situations though, grading in below average so far.

I'm happy Marner will be here for 5-6 years or so, barring surprising developments. It's hard viewing him the same after this negotiation though. It's been ugly.
This! Just want others to se it incase it was missed in this long arse thread.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yup. I think the former was driven by fear of a crippling offer sheet, and the latter was done to repair a relationship that was needlessly fractured. But it's hard to argue that it's not been a blemish on management so far. My point was more that it's a small one compared to what other GMs are up to.
Curious why do you say it was needlessly fractured.

Agreed on Matthews, i think it was fear based with some worry of an offer sheet and the shakes from Nylander's situation.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It's just to go back and read the thread if you want to understand what was discussed.

Well, my question doesn't really have to do with your debate.... Even still, I looked back to about post #600, and my question is still relevant.

I keep seeing people using full ELC years to justify their opinion, and I've never understood it. ELC year 3 should hold a lot more weight than ELC year 2, which both hold more weight than ELC year 1... just my opinion.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I keep seeing people using full ELC years to justify their opinion, and I've never understood it. ELC year 3 should hold a lot more weight than ELC year 2, which both hold more weight than ELC year 1... just my opinion.
It does. All ELC years are taken into account, weighed by recency. But there's a reason the biggest correlation with contract numbers is PPG across the full ELC, and not point totals or last season totals.

Reactions: kb

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Curious why do you say it was needlessly fractured.

Agreed on Matthews, i think it was fear based with some worry of an offer sheet and the shakes from Nylander's situation.
I don't think Marner has a cause for the perceived slights that have been reported. It seems his camp went into negotiations thinking that he's not been treated the way he deserves.

Reactions: kb

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It does. All ELC years are taken into account, weighed by recency. But there's a reason the biggest correlation with contract numbers is PPG across the full ELC, and not point totals or last season totals.

What is that reason?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
There is nothing as pointless or stupid as arguing a player is overpaid in year 1 of a long term contract.

NO SHIT!!!

That is how long term contracts work. A player would be stupid (like "leaf-fan stupid") to accept being underpaid in year 1 of his contract because then he'd be hugely underpaid by year 6.

Marner has to be worth $10.9M in year 3 to make this deal a good one for the team. I think he'll likely hit that mark next year and by years 4-6 this contract will be great value.

Some people need to calm down. I could care less how much money everyone makes or MLSE has to spend, as long as it does not prevent the team from getting better, Dubas proved this year that it hasn't yet and they will likely find a way to ensure it doesn't in the future.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It's gunna be tough to see rantanen sign for less when he's been better than Marner the past 2 seasons.

We are paying Marner 2.5m more a year than aho just for an extra year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So the new NHL is having a few players making nearly 40-50% of the cap while 6 or so players are making 10-15 times less money. Kind of reminds me of the OHL where lineups are made up of a few blue chip prospects and a bunch of scrubs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't think Marner has a cause for the perceived slights that have been reported. It seems his camp went into negotiations thinking that he's not been treated the way he deserves.
I guess I don't understand the slights or think the comments are that

If the reports were true, and we've seen reports on low numbers (relatively) that favoured him and now high numbers that shun him, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Fact is he signed for a lower than reported deal and it still is a big overpayment.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So the new NHL is having a few players making nearly 40-50% of the cap while 6 or so players are making 10-15 times less money. Kind of reminds me of the OHL where lineups are made up of a few blue chip prospects and a bunch of scrubs.

It just smells of NBA model. However; unlike hockey in basketball the impact one individual can have on the game is for greater than hockey

Reactions: ToneDog

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Man, I'm happy that this isn't going to get dragged into the season:

upload_2019-9-14_8-28-23.png

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Nylander contract - fair
Matthews contract - bad
Marner contract - terrible
But on the plus side we have 3 elite superstars locked up for 5+ years

Correction 2 elite super stars

Matthews and Marner

Nylander needs to show he can produce at an elite level in NHL no evidence of it thus far especially without playing on Matthews’ wing

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
The best thing about this contract is that it's done! Now we can get back to talking about hockey instead of (ugh) math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->