Confirmed with Link: Toronto signs Mitch Marner to 6 year extension [10.893M AAV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I can tell economics were never your thing. Ever here of the word equilibrium?

Marner starts off overpaid as the 25th best player with the 7th highest cap hit.

As the contract progresses he will be ranked higher (top 10-15 player) and also his cap hit ranking will drop compared to others as they sign bigger deals (10th-15th highest paid player)

Half way through the deal it will be considered equal, the equilibrium of the deal.

That last few years will look like a bargain compared to deals being signed at that time, where players could be getting 14+ mill a year.

You're trying to put lipstick on a pig of a deal. He's the 7th highest paid player in the league, deal with it.

There's always THAT GUY who defends everything Leafs.

I can tell that weighing the cap ramifications of this deal a year or two down the line is not your thing. GM's around the league are laughing at the Leafs...err Dubas.

Last edited:

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Marner is arguably the 25th best player in the league.

Marner is the 7th highest paid.

ridiculous.

I warned everyone that Dubas was going to be a disaster. It's either Stanley cup or bust. Next year they lose Barrie and Muzzin. Still a soft team.

This was the blow off top for the off-season chatter. I think it's time to enjoy the season.

I'm on board.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The US and Canada have reciprocal tax treaties for how much residents of either country will be taxed while “working” in the other country.

Canada might have taxed “US resident” Matthews at 15% on his signing bonus. The US would then give Matthews foreign tax credit against the 37% he would have to pay on the bonus and only tax him an absolute 22% instead of the full 37%.

That’s a simplistic take of course because the countries don’t work on %’s but actual taxes paid, but I hope you get the concept.

Reactions: dsred and biotk

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The US and Canada have reciprocal tax treaties for how much residents of either country will be taxed while “working” in the other country.

Canada might have taxed “US resident” Matthews at 15% on his signing bonus. The US would then give Matthews foreign tax credit against the 37% he would have to pay on the bonus and only tax him an absolute 22% instead of the full 37%.

That’s a simplistic take of course because the countries don’t work on %’s but actual taxes paid, but I hope you get the concept.
How does the jock tax fit into that mix?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It’s a lot of money but six more seasons of Marner getting better? Count me in. I wish it was cheaper but Dubas said he’d sign them and he signed them. I’m ready for one hell of a season.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
You're trying to put lipstick on a pig of a deal. He's the 7th highest paid player in the league, deal with it.

I can tell that hockey IQ is not your thing nor weighing the cap ramifications of this deal a year or two down the line. GM's around the league are laughing at the Leafs...err Dubas.

I’m not defending the deal as a good deal from the get go. There’s always THAT GUY who thinks the sky is falling.

I agree he starting off overpaid, but the last couple years will look like a bargain. By that time Mitch should be a top 5 winger and top 15 player while his cap hit will probably be 20-25th highest.

Our core and quality complimentary players are signed for the next 4+ years. Cap will spike in 2 years with gambling revenues and Seattle expansion. Take a deep breathe bro.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander has the biggest chance to do his contract justice. Harder for Matthews due to injuries ,even harder for Marner who is overhyped and overrated. Happy they all are on the team thou.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Overpaying is not over paying.... If you give Spezza 2 million more and he is playing a fourth line role that is a far worse over payment then giving your 90+ point player 2 million more to secure him on the team.

Our Cap situation is fine. We have a clear Cup contender team for the coming year.

I'm surprised even needs.to be said.

Overpaying sucks, but theres a massive difference between overpaying some plug bottom 6 guy by a couple million vs a few hundred thousand on one of the best players in recent franchise history (this applies to any of the Leafs young guys)

Reactions: robertmac43

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

I can tell that weighing the cap ramifications of this deal a year or two down the line is not your thing. GM's around the league are laughing at the Leafs...err Dubas.
There's always that guy that says "lipstick on a pig"

Big brain time :sarcasm:

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Yeah because we been so close the last couple of years with these guys...

Closer than a lot of people give them credit for. Two years in a row they had a one-game difference between bowing out early and potentially making a run for it all, and arguably the biggest reason why they failed both times is now gone.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
agreed. the saving grace with Marner is he's only been getting 2:30 minutes of PP time per game. If this new coach bumps it up to 3:30 minutes it could help offset the nosedive his 5v5 production will take. it's also possible we'll see some natural progression, as well as newer contracts being signed for more money. 6 years is a lot of time for Marner to live up to this deal, as ugly as it looks now

I should say for starters that while I do think that Marner's is by far the worst deal, there is a substantial advantage of getting that f'ing mess out of the way. If you look at how much of a strain it has been having on the fanbase there was little chance that this was not having an impact on the players at camp. For two years in a row they were going to have this massive spectacle and uncertainty as a black cloud hanging over everything - I think that takes a toll, and I think it causes additional wear at the start of a long season.

It's selfish when it happens. I can place a lot of the blame on the year before on management, as they seemed to just think they could wait it out with Nylander, but with Marner they had been aggressively bending over backwards to get this done and essentially had given the actual best offer to Marner months ago and all Marner was interested in was getting every single drop of blood out of them, so I can't blame management on this one. I hope the extremely crappy cap situation where they have essentially no flexibility doesn't remind the players of this all season long.

I am someone who thinks that when you give a player a - let's say - 5 year contract that you are not paying them for what they have done, but you are paying them for what you feel they will do over those 5 years. That's a tricky thing to do, and I feel that is what Dubas wants to do, but he is trying to do in a league that has always paid based on what players have done - and usually done based on raw numbers.

I don't want a GM paying for a team that hypothetically would have won last year, but instead paying for a team that will win this year.

Numbers are far from everything, but nothing drives me more nuts than hearing that someone who put up, say 85 points with two crappy linemates is worse than someone who put up, say 90 points with two great linemates. You could maybe say that latter line is worth 2M more than former line, but that player carrying that former line is probably worth a lot more than anyone on the latter line.

Years ago - starting in 2005-06 there was massive PP time. It was simply ridiculous. But the amount of PP was falling each year thereafter. So if you have a guy who put up great numbers the last two years, but was highly PP based and you sign him to a big contract for the next 6 years, then you are paying for a guy who puts up great numbers on the PP at a time when the PP is becoming less and less of the game.

This is why I am big fan of Matthews. He has shown that he can put up big numbers no matter what. You give him PP time he will put up big numbers. You give him crappy linemates at 5v5 he will put up big numbers. You give him even better linemates at 5v5 he will put up even bigger numbers.

For Nylander that is not the case, but his pay as the secondary figure on a great line is not bad (nor is it great).

For Marner, well I hope I am wrong, but I think people are going to be disappointed. I am not saying that he is going to bad, but I highly doubt he is going to look good enough to justify 4M more than Nylander. People will say that he will continue to naturally progress and he very well might. But it is interesting, when a prospect or player is not progressing we say "development is not linear" but when a player has been progressing well we change to a belief that it is linear. To me last year was a year in which everything that could have gone right for Marner did go right. Yes, he might get more PP next year - although his PP time per game was higher last year than the previous two years - so he might get less. I suspect that they are going to stack a PP unit and play it more because players like Matthews are going to demand it, but I feel it would be better for the team's success to run two different units evenly.

TL: DR - My view is mostly meh.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
10.9 x 6 is not bad. HF is full of people who do not understand inflation and changes in the market.

You can not compare his contract to Kane or Kuch. Times have changed.
What do you mean we cant compare? You realize Kuch is the MVP winger and his contract starts the same time as Marners?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My view
Nylander - slight overpay. I think that his contract will look good going forward because he plays with Matthews.
Matthews - right amount, term not long enough. If he doesn't hit 50 goals, 100 points going forward I think that he will not live up to his contract. I think he likely does that.
Marner - substantial overpay. He is paid like a 94+ point forward, but I think that he will be a 80 - 85 point forward going forward despite playing with Tavares.

Agree completely. Marner is not going to be hard pressed to live up to that deal, and Dubas knows he overpaid. Alternatives were to trade him, which I hope he explored, but I can believe that he lacked leverage and taking a below market deal is not a great move either. He could also sit him too but I can also see why he doesn't want to do that either. Therefore he probably went in thinking this was the best deal he could get out of him and he might as well do it when he can set up Marner for success (rather than let it stew and make him miss training camp). He knew he could afford to do it for this year, and maybe the next couple after that.

All I am going to say is that down the line, money gets tight. And Dubas is going to likely have to move one of Marner or Nylander to be able to afford icing a team that is well-rounded enough to win Cups. Nylander, as you said, is only a slight overpay (not including the team-friendly contract structure) and if he reaches his potential (plus plays with Matthews long term), that contract is likely a steal. Marner is more so, but it gives us a chance to earn a lot more leverage in a trade down the line, and if he does put up two more seasons of 90+ points (which is always going to be possible with him playing with Tavares), there will be a long list of suitors willing to pay top dollar to bring him in, overpay or not. I just hope at that time Dubas is not afraid to make the tough move if it is the right one, and that move may be to move hometown boy Marner.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Marner is arguably the 25th best player in the league.

Marner is the 7th highest paid.

ridiculous.

I warned everyone that Dubas was going to be a disaster. It's either Stanley cup or bust. Next year they lose Barrie and Muzzin. Still a soft team.

You're ridiculous. At the halfway point of Marner's contract there will probably be 40 players making more than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad