Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Franson didn't have to take anything. You sound bitter, Nonis did a hell of a job this off-season

Ranger, Raymond, Fraser, and Franson for 6 million combined LOL amazing.

2.9 for Bernier isn't bad at all.

So he goes to Europe and pisses away his NHL career? right

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I hope Rielly gets sent down, there is nothing wrong with him going back. There have been mistakes keeping prospects at the NHL level when they aren't ready, there has never been an issue with sending a prospect down an extra year. I'd rather stay conservative then buckle under the pressure from a good training camp. Send him down and watch him dominate and get huge minutes at the WJHC.

This is my line of thinking as well. Although I must admit I have been pleasantly surprised with him in camp, I want him to head back out west, tear it up, maybe even wear the C at the WJHC and see his confidence go through the roof. That will only help him when he calls Toronto home full-time.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Pretty sure that Liles will just be demoted to gain the 900k of cap relief. If he's taken on waivers it would be a great and highly unlikely bonus.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Pretty sure that Liles will just be demoted to gain the 900k of cap relief. If he's taken on waivers it would be a great and highly unlikely bonus.

it will be a sad pathetic day for this organization when a player of Liles' ability and character is demoted to the AHL.. Brennan should be cut. Liles on the roster. Give him a chance to redeem himself

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Ranger
Liles
Holzer

Set.

This will be Franson's first opportunity to enter the season as a top 4 defender. Good for him, if he can keep it up the Leafs defense is both solid and young.

To start the season:
Age - Player
32 - Liles
29 - Ranger
28 - Phaneuf
27 - Fraser
26 - Gunnarsson
26 - Franson
25 - Holzer
23 - Gardiner

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
i still laugh out loud at posters on this board who cannot understand the difference between a RFA and a UFA.

When a player is a UFA they hold all the cards, and other teams and ourselves will overspend to get that player if they feel he is the right fit for the team.

RFA means the team holds all the cards. They can do just what they did with Franson and really the only options the players have is to sit out, sign, or play in europe. NHL GM's have shown that offer sheets are few and far between especially this year with the cap dropped so much.

The above scenario is exactly how the CBA was set up. For the first 7 years
the team benefits because they are spending the money and time on developing these young players. Once the young players have paid their due they then have the option to become UFA's. Some choose not to and stay with the team that
drafted and developed them and some leave for the big payday or the chance to
get more playing time or even win a stanley cup.

This year leafs took the hard line with franson because this would be the last year where they would hold all the cards. I believe they also wanted to send a message to the other leaf RFA's next year( like gardiner ) that they would have no problem playing hardball. This was about sending a message as well as cap management.

If Franson has a moster year then Nonis will know by the draft what kind of money
he will be looking for and if the price is not right or someone else has stepped up then nonis can unload him at the draft if the numbers dont work.

Great job Nonis!!!

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
To enter the season over the salary cap?

That plan's succeeded all right.

If they manage to trade Liles without retaining salary I'll retract my criticism but I can't say I'm enamoured with how Nonis has managed the cap thus far.

edit: Hopefully this means Reilly's going back west. I'm shocked and appalled so many are in favour of keeping him here, it's like they've never heard of Gary Nylund, Luke Richardson, Jim Benning, Bob McGill, Al Iafrate, Luke Schenn, etc.

Poulin stated that we have a cushion, and more cap space than cap-geek indicates - not much, but some.

Nonis has also stated that they will carry less than 23, and that some guys will be going back and forth from the Marlies over the first 3/4 months to build a cap cushion.

Send down Orr and keep Broll / Devane and you get another $300 / $400K right there.

You also have to remember that the cap is calculated on a day to day basis - Demotions, injuries, etc helps to create additional space.

The fact is that Nonis got our team signed, upgrades made, and all within the reduced cap. This guy and his team knows what they're doing! :handclap:

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
yup. Don't get me wrong i love this lineup and we'll be competing on a nightly basis. I would've rather paid Franson a bit more and kept him happy. There's no way he's coming back lol. What has Bernier proven to deserve $2.9M???

why do you believe that. He will be in the same position next year. He still belongs to us. The only difference he will be eligible for arbitration. we offer a number and they offer a number and the arbitrator decides. If its too much we can walk away if its what we want he has to sign, Pretty simple.

By the time the end of the year comes we will know what kind of season franson has had, what our minor sysytem looks like in terms of replacing him, how much he wants longterm and if we dont like any of those positions we can flip him at the draft.

Pretty much Nonis has the ball in his court again.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I see many people on here having Gardiner and Franson as a pair but I think it will be something like this.

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner - Ranger
Franson - Fraser
Liles.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...fs-cody-franson-saga-ends-with-one-year-deal/

On Wednesday, Nonis had told the National Post that the ball was essentially in Franson’s court. The defenceman had been told that the Leafs were standing firm in terms of the amount they were willing — and able — to give under the salary cap. And now, it was Franson’s decision whether to take a discounted deal or risk missing regular season games.

In the end, Franson chose to play for less money today and hope that his play lands him a bigger payday at this time next year.

“He knows where we’re at,” Nonis said on Wednesday. “It will be up to him to decide to play.”

The Leafs had initially refused a one-year contract for Franson, because it means his contract would expire at the same time as forwards Phil Kessel, Dave Bolland, Nikolai Kulemin, Jay McClement, Mayson Raymond and defencemen Dion Phaneuf, Mark Fraser, Jake Gardiner and Paul Ranger in 2014.

Franson’s contract is still not without complications. According to capgeek.com, the Leafs are now US$1-million over the salary cap. But that is with 24 players on the roster. It is believed that the team will send one or more players to the minors before the season begins to get within the allotted amount.

Even then, a trade might have to be made to free up space moving forward.

The 26-year-old Franson was one of the league’s most productive offensive defencemen last season, finishing in the top-10 with 25 points. The only right-handed shot on the Leafs defence, he is most valuable on the power play where he scored three of his four goals and 10 of his 25 assists.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Lol. Nonis got lucky. They mismanaged the cap poorly. Anyone who says otherwise needs the goggles removed. Gave a massive deal to Clarkson. $2.9m to Bernier plus $500k retained.

Franson had no choice but to take this deal. All this will do however is leave a bitter taste in his mouth. He's not coming back as a Leaf after this season

You strike me as the kind of person that probably said "Nonis has screwed himself and cannot possibly sign Franson". Perhaps it's not us that needs to take off the goggles?

Also, I'm not saying it's not possible, but as an RFA where is Franson going next year?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Anyone else now think it'd be wise to keep Liles until the Trade deadline and hopefully he plays better towards then? His value is at his lowest, don't see much of a point trading him right now since cap isn't an issue anymore thank god.

How will he even get into the lineup? The top 4 is pretty much solidified. Then you have Rielly, Ranger, Fraser, and maybe Brennan who has looked good and Liles.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Andrew Walker ‏@FAN590Walker 2h
#Leafs will sign Cody Franson. One year, 2 mil dollar deal set to be announced. Big paycut gets him to UFA. Wants to play, clearly.

$2mill doesn't seem like much for the season he had last year, but I don't see how an $800,000 raise can be considered a pay cut. You'd think these guys would be on stuff like that, it is their job after all.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Lol. Nonis got lucky. They mismanaged the cap poorly. Anyone who says otherwise needs the goggles removed. Gave a massive deal to Clarkson. $2.9m to Bernier plus $500k retained.

Franson had no choice but to take this deal. All this will do however is leave a bitter taste in his mouth. He's not coming back as a Leaf after this season

So Franson is going to hold out again next year? Demand a trade? What makes you think he has anymore leverage next year as a RFA that he can determine where he plays? I think you need to look up what mismanage means. He got all his players signed with a few upgrades. Yeh, terrible:shakehead

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
I never really understood Franson's and Nonis' positions. Franson wanted a 1 year deal that would make him a RFA again. Nonis wanted a 2 year deal that ended with Franson as a UFA. Shouldn't they have wanted the reverse?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
it will be a sad pathetic day for this organization when a player of Liles' ability and character is demoted to the AHL.. Brennan should be cut. Liles on the roster. Give him a chance to redeem himself

Nobody is getting demoted. We don't need to do anything with Liles. He can still be on the team...it will just be better if we trade him though.

There is no way the Leafs would demote Liles...he's still a capable NHL'er and they have re-signed everyone they need. The Leafs are a classy organization...they won't pull that crap on Liles.

They are very likely to find a team where Liles fits and trade him there with some salary retained.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad