Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yes, have to disagree with you here.

I think Gunnarsson has been the best option there, and haven't really seen anyone who has been better. Franson being a right handed shot, and moving Phaneuf over might help Phaneuf's game though.

agreed with this part.

That isn't about Gunnarsson it is about covering up for Phaneuf's brain farts.

it was gunnar's horrific brainfart that cost us a goal last night.

Leafsin2014*

I think that Ranger makes Fraser expendable ....he is strong physically and has a lot more skill. Fraser's injury is going to prevent him from fighting....he will limit this activity.

How did he show he can't fight any longer? By fighting twice?

That was sarcasm since so many people said Fraser couldn't fight anymore, which were people clearly making things up. Ranger plays the same physical game as Fraser? Laughable.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Finn/Percy

This would be nice to have as our top 4 in 3 years.

Sign Phaneuf for 5 years, then trade him with 2 years remaining.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Finn/Percy

This would be nice to have as our top 4 in 3 years.

Sign Phaneuf for 5 years, then trade him with 2 years remaining.

Who's the #1 d-man in that list? And #1 I don't mean on the team, but around the league #1.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah, Ranger really made Fraser look expendable out there. Fraser also showed he can't fight anymore didn't he, funny how people just completely make up these theories. Shows how ridiculous all these preseason posts are always dumping all our tough players when everyone makes their fantasy lineups.

Yeah he fought....great to see. I was wrong as I really thought that he would avoid these. Time will tell if this continues....as for fantasy....it was Fraser Dr who told him not to fight as the reason I based my opinion on....what was yours?

So will not admit that you were wrong twice.....

No way Liles gets sent to the Marlies.....he did!

Rielly will not make the Leafs.....he did.

Leafsin2014*

Yeah he fought....great to see. I was wrong as I really thought that he would avoid these. Time will tell if this continues....as for fantasy....it was Fraser Dr who told him not to fight as the reason I based my opinion on....what was yours?

So will not admit that you were wrong twice.....

No way Liles gets sent to the Marlies.....he did!

Rielly will not make the Leafs.....he did.

He didn't only fight, he fought twice. My opinion was based on the fact that Fraser himself said he would not change his game other than wearing a visor. He specifically said he would still fight. You also said Rielly would take his spot, they aren't even close to the same player!

Rielly still hasn't made the Leafs, as Carlyle said he has 9 more games to evaluate him and decide. He will still be sent back. He hasn't even played a game!

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
What kind of doctor would say anything else? To anybody? I doubt any doctor anywhere would "clear" a patient for fist fights on ice with blades attached to their feet.

While this is funny, boxers and MMA athletes are cleared by doctors to fight all the time. It's a profession and Fraser's happens to be on skates

Penalty Kill Icing*

If he can play consistently like the way he played last night, it will be very difficult for someone who is assigned the job of identifying mistakes in his game.

He'll be due for a huge raise if he keeps up.

Ace88*

Franson has looked better and better with us as time goes on. He's absolutely a #3-4 at the moment, and he brings a lot of what Dion brings. I tend to agree with the crowd that says sign Franson long term and trade/let go of Phaneuf. We'll miss him but Franson stepping up helps replace a lot of what he does.

Note that im not saying Franson is as good as Phaneuf, or that i don't like Phaneuf. But we need to start thinking about options.

Leafsin2014*

Franson has looked better and better with us as time goes on. He's absolutely a #3-4 at the moment, and he brings a lot of what Dion brings. I tend to agree with the crowd that says sign Franson long term and trade/let go of Phaneuf. We'll miss him but Franson stepping up helps replace a lot of what he does.

Note that im not saying Franson is as good as Phaneuf, or that i don't like Phaneuf. But we need to start thinking about options.

Totally agree with you. We have the year to evaluate the play of all our D, including Franson. If we commit to Phaneuf long term, that is ice time that Ranger, Rielly, Gardiner, Franson will not get. Is it worth investing huge money and a roster spot on Phaneuf with those guys in the pipe, and we haven't even started talking about Blacker, Granberg, MacWilliam, Percy, etc. as guys that could be ready. Especially since there are a lot of questions if Phaneuf is even worth 6M now, how about as his play starts to slip in his 30s (and it could be fast).

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Yes, have to disagree with you here.

I think Gunnarsson has been the best option there, and haven't really seen anyone who has been better. Franson being a right handed shot, and moving Phaneuf over might help Phaneuf's game though.

That isn't about Gunnarsson it is about covering up for Phaneuf's brain farts.

actually it's because Franson is better than Gunnarson.

at, pretty much every single aspect of hockey.

he was last year, he is this year.

and it'a not a slight on Gunnar. Franson just better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad