Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
To enter the season over the salary cap?

That plan's succeeded all right.

If they manage to trade Liles without retaining salary I'll retract my criticism but I can't say I'm enamoured with how Nonis has managed the cap thus far.

edit: Hopefully this means Reilly's going back west. I'm shocked and appalled so many are in favour of keeping him here, it's like they've never heard of Gary Nylund, Luke Richardson, Jim Benning, Bob McGill, Al Iafrate, Luke Schenn, etc.

Do you just keep some stock answers saved in an Open Office file or just rattle them off from memory?

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
Dave Nonis:
Wizard-21.gif

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Wow I have to admit I didn't think Nonis could get everyone signed and stay under the cap. Figured a trade would be necessary.

Now hopefully Nonis can extend Franson during the season. 4/$16m?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yes! Great signing. I guess Nonis decided 1 year was ok after all. Franson probably accepted less thinking he will cash out next year. Good job all around. Feels good going into the season with only Clarkson being the only piece missing going in.

Spells wHL for Rielly though, unless a trade is coming.

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
Way to go, Nonis.

Especially with all the garbage that's been posted this summer about who Nonis would have to get rid of because Kadri and Franson would both be making big money this year.

Not sure if anyone else caught it, Sather had some critical words for Stepan and his agent in the last couple of days. Might've gotten Franson thinking a little.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
What about Brennan. He has been decent through camp.

It's possible, but with the players signed I just don't see it. Plus he's already off the roster so he doesn't have to clear waivers (right?). He'll start on the Marlies barring injury the last two games. I guess there's a chance they bury Liles, but if they do I'd expect Rielly to get a couple weeks up first before Brennan.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Lol. Nonis got lucky. They mismanaged the cap poorly. Anyone who says otherwise needs the goggles removed. Gave a massive deal to Clarkson. $2.9m to Bernier plus $500k retained.

Franson had no choice but to take this deal. All this will do however is leave a bitter taste in his mouth. He's not coming back as a Leaf after this season

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Yeah...I completely forgot about that:

Raymond, Ranger and Franson cost us 4M. Wow :amazed: 3 NHL players...one who is a top 4 D, another who can be a top 4D and a top 6-9 tweener that plays good defensively.

Ladies and gentleman, we finally have a GM that knows how to work the cap.

where are all the chicken littles who said we cant sign kadri and franson because nonis wasted all our cap space on bozak,clarkson and gunnarsson.

oh wait

cue the next wave of chicken littles:D

next year we are in cap hell with kessel, phaneuf,franson,gardiner , reimer to sign.
Nonis had put us in a postion where we have to trade two of our core. He doesnt know what he;s doing. Burke would not have put us in this position:p:

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
To enter the season over the salary cap?

That plan's succeeded all right.

If they manage to trade Liles without retaining salary I'll retract my criticism but I can't say I'm enamoured with how Nonis has managed the cap thus far.

edit: Hopefully this means Reilly's going back west. I'm shocked and appalled so many are in favour of keeping him here, it's like they've never heard of Gary Nylund, Luke Richardson, Jim Benning, Bob McGill, Al Iafrate, Luke Schenn, etc.

I don't get that list. Of that list maybe only Benning was a bit of a washout although he did play 600+ NHL games. Nylund would have had a very good, long career if his knee hadn't exploded. today they would have fixed his knee and he would have lasted 15 seasons. Otherwise, Richardson, McGill, Iafrate and Schenn had (or are having) long careers as NHL defensemen.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lol. Nonis got lucky. They mismanaged the cap poorly. Anyone who says otherwise needs the goggles removed. Gave a massive deal to Clarkson. $2.9m to Bernier plus $500k retained.

Franson had no choice but to take this deal. All this will do however is leave a bitter taste in his mouth. He's not coming back as a Leaf after this season

Franson didn't have to take anything. You sound bitter, Nonis did a hell of a job this off-season

Ranger, Raymond, Fraser, and Franson for 6 million combined LOL amazing.

2.9 for Bernier isn't bad at all.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
It sucks that Rielly basically gets sent down now...although if we bury liles and send down a forward, where does that leave us? I still say we find a way for Morgan to get 9 games in.

Even if so, it's no big deal. This kid is going to be something special, no sense rushing him in if it doesn't make sense. We are going to enjoy Rielly for years to come.

With or without Rielly, I am lovin' the looks of that D.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Now queue up the "Nonis won't be able to sign everyone for next season" fear mongering.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
So according to Capgeek, leafs are 1mil over the cap with 14 forwards, 8 D and 2G.

Subtract Holzer (750k) and Trevor Smith (550k), that gets us 300k of cap relief with an extra forward and dman.

Don't think it could have worked out any better then that

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
great job, the cap going up next year probably played in to the one year deal
sucks he only gets one preseason game .....if that but hopefully he's ready

Nonis needs to move Liles, cost of a prospect or I guess injuries

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

i agree. that's how i would feel if i got the most points in a season as a defensmen and was getting paid less than gunnarson. in fact, if it's between the 2 of them, i would have let gunnarson go or trade him as franson has much more value imo.
the blackhawks seemed to know who to keep as a core and who to let go to be competitive under the cap.

my friend said that nonis does have a history of mismanaging players as there always seemed to be a holdout in vancouver before training camp.

otherwise, he has done a good job of assembling a team.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I like to call it the Hail Mary.
:laugh:

And yet Canuck fans still call him No Nuts for not making the big deal.

Methinks Nonis may be a little smarter than people give him credit for.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Even if so, it's no big deal. This kid is going to be something special, no sense rushing him in if it doesn't make sense. We are going to enjoy Rielly for years to come.

With or without Rielly, I am lovin' the looks of that D.

I hope Rielly gets sent down, there is nothing wrong with him going back. There have been mistakes keeping prospects at the NHL level when they aren't ready, there has never been an issue with sending a prospect down an extra year. I'd rather stay conservative then buckle under the pressure from a good training camp. Send him down and watch him dominate and get huge minutes at the WJHC.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
:laugh:

And yet Canuck fans still call him No Nuts for not making the big deal.

Methinks Nonis may be a little smarter than people give him credit for.

Canuck fans shouldn't be talking in the first place especially when Gillis is your GM...:laugh: This guy has rode the coattails of both Burke and Nonis. He hasn't done jack squat other than trade their best prospect for the 9th overall pick..great job Gillis, great job. Overpaid heavily for Garrison as well.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
I don't necessarily agree with the direction that Nonis is taking the team/ organizational philosophy but he's accomplished absolutely everything he set out to do this offseason. More wizardry will be needed next offseason, a situation that I believe could have been avoided, but he has lots of time and options to deal with it. Good job by mgmt from a pretty harsh critic.

Run705

#705collection
Mar 2, 2011
Ontario
the705collection.com
Anyone else now think it'd be wise to keep Liles until the Trade deadline and hopefully he plays better towards then? His value is at his lowest, don't see much of a point trading him right now since cap isn't an issue anymore thank god.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i agree. that's how i would feel if i got the most points in a season as a defensmen and was getting paid less than gunnarson. in fact, if it's between the 2 of them, i would have let gunnarson go or trade him as franson has much more value imo.
the blackhawks seemed to know who to keep as a core and who to let go to be competitive under the cap.

my friend said that nonis does have a history of mismanaging players as there always seemed to be a holdout in vancouver before training camp.

otherwise, he has done a good job of assembling a team.

yup. Don't get me wrong i love this lineup and we'll be competing on a nightly basis. I would've rather paid Franson a bit more and kept him happy. There's no way he's coming back lol. What has Bernier proven to deserve $2.9M???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad