Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I never really understood Franson's and Nonis' positions. Franson wanted a 1 year deal that would make him a RFA again. Nonis wanted a 2 year deal that ended with Franson as a UFA. Shouldn't they have wanted the reverse?

That's what I'm wondering.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
So Franson is going to hold out again next year? Demand a trade? What makes you think he has anymore leverage next year as a RFA that he can determine where he plays? I think you need to look up what mismanage means. He got all his players signed with a few upgrades. Yeh, terrible:shakehead

If he continues to play well he will have a more solid case for arbitration. That's basically the only leverage.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
So Franson is going to hold out again next year? Demand a trade? What makes you think he has anymore leverage next year as a RFA that he can determine where he plays? I think you need to look up what mismanage means. He got all his players signed with a few upgrades. Yeh, terrible:shakehead

Agreed - the only issue from my understanding (and why Nonis wasn't a fan of a 1-year deal) was the fact that he can go to arbitration next year. Supposing he has another great year, that will make it very difficult to sign him at the arbitrated amount, especially with guys like Phaneuf and Kessel do up. I don't think he'll have a repeat of last year, because I expect him to see some tougher minutes last year, but he will likely get awarded a deece payout.

Therefore, it might be hard to retain him after next year, but it all comes down to re-looking at the roster. Perhaps we don't need him. I'd be surprised if some of our young d prospects aren't ready to be full-time.

This gets him in the lineup this season which is the primary concern.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The fact is that Nonis got our team signed, upgrades made, and all within the reduced cap. This guy and his team knows what they're doing! :handclap:

I'm betting every team that plays in the NHL this year will be cap compliant. :sarcasm:

From what I've read the 300k performance bonus is a cushion, and of course Holzer at 787k with the bonus money puts the Leafs under the cap with 23 players.

They really should do something about Liles though. With the 2nd. highest cap hit for defensemen, that is an issue with his playing time.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's what I'm wondering.

I think the Leafs are looking at the development of guys like Percy and Finn in 2 years.

They basically didn't want to deal with a hard and sour negotiation with Franson again...getting him signed for 2 years takes him to UFA and the Leafs get 2 years to develop Finn and Percy into NHL'ers.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
I still think he overpaid for Bozak by about double. The rest of the negos I have no issues with, even Clarkson.

Bozak at $3 would have been fine with me. I still look at it as a key play that was done to keep Kessel next year. If Kessel stays at $7.5 long-term, we get him a discount (I think vs. open market) and part of that reason would be Bozak playing here.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Nonis MUST have a trade up his sleeve, cause signing Franson gives us virtually no wiggle room until Clarkson is eligible to play.

At this point I would say Brennan > Holzer, which would save maybe 300k, then demoting Liles would save another 900k, but in terms of forwards, we would only be able to keep 12 forwards (plus Clarkson who cant play) so if someone got hurt we would be shorthanded

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Ugh. Hopefully nonis plans on flipping him. He is so not worth the headache. Can't wait till next years Cody training camp holdout.

Two years in a row he's taken what many consider less money than he could have so that the team could fit under the cap. Not that much of a headache. Oh, and he's improved his game tremendously.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Liles ain't playing in the NHL. Neither is Brennan. Most telling is that Liles isn't even part of the power plays right now. He isn't in the team's plans. Is he in any team's plans at 3.9M per? Unlikely. This will be another example of a servicable NHLer who is squeezed out because his cap hit/salary is just too high relative to his value as a player.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON

arbitration. That's why the Leafs wanted a 2year term

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think he is going to package Colborne along with Blacker and Liles. Maybe Holzher as well. Blacker has not really made the jump and others are passing him on the depth scale. There will be teams I believe that will take Liles, I still think he is a good dman even at 4mil just not for our coach.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I never really understood Franson's and Nonis' positions. Franson wanted a 1 year deal that would make him a RFA again. Nonis wanted a 2 year deal that ended with Franson as a UFA. Shouldn't they have wanted the reverse?

Franson wanting a 1 year deal, means he will be able to go to arbitration and he could be getting a rather large increase, if they decide for him and next year, we have to sign both Kessel and Phanuef and other players, with the increased cap but is it enough, Franson with a one year deal and all these other contracts, they may not be able to sign everyone but if he had gone for a 2 year bridge contract, his contract would be up in the following year, with again hopefully a larger Cap.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nonis MUST have a trade up his sleeve, cause signing Franson gives us virtually no wiggle room until Clarkson is eligible to play.

At this point I would say Brennan > Holzer, which would save maybe 300k, then demoting Liles would save another 900k, but in terms of forwards, we would only be able to keep 12 forwards (plus Clarkson who cant play) so if someone got hurt we would be shorthanded

All they have to do is dress a roster that doesn't have a 5 minute a night, useless plug on it.

Last season:

Steckel 7:04
Orr 6:23
McLaren 5:09
Brown 4:39

Ice players who can play a semi-regular shift and you don't need to carry a 4th. line of players you are afraid to put out there beyond Scotting it.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Franson wanting a 1 year deal, means he will be able to go to arbitration and he could be getting a rather large increase, if they decide for him and next year, we have to sign both Kessel and Phanuef and other players, with the increased cap but is it enough, Franson with a one year deal and all these other contracts, they may not be able to sign everyone but if he had gone for a 2 year bridge contract, his contract would be up in the following year, with again hopefully a larger Cap.

finally someone gets it

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Let's hope Franson can demand a huge payday.

That would indicate a good year and a good season for the team.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Completely agree with this. I would even venture a thought here and say that Brennan looks surprisingly better than I'd thought. And he has a mean streak - really like that. I really like the signing ... could be a darkhorse pairing with Franson.

Dion-Gunnar
Gardiner-Ranger
Franson-Brennan
Fraser-Liles

PP:
Gardiner-Dion
Franson-Brennan/Ranger

PK:
Dion-Ranger
Franson-Gunnar

The larger question to me is not Brennan vs Holzer, but Brennan vs Fraser. Personally, I'd give Brennan every chance I could of replacing the far-less mobile Fraser.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Nonis is a genius :handclap:

Glad he stuck to his guns by signing Franson and Kadri to less than 5m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad