Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
it will be a sad pathetic day for this organization when a player of Liles' ability and character is demoted to the AHL.. Brennan should be cut. Liles on the roster. Give him a chance to redeem himself

Or let him play top line minutes in the AHL and prove he's still NHL calibre.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Let's hope Franson can demand a huge payday.

That would indicate a good year and a good season for the team.

Well this is the reason I wanted Nonis to trade Liles and sign Franson to a long-term contract, if he does well, he will go to arbitration and may get possibly a 4 mill per year plus ruling, in his favour and with the other contracts expiring, notably Kessel and Phanuef, not to mention Kulemin, McClement and Bolland, all having to be signed next year.

Things could get pretty tight and something will have to give.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Completely agree with this. I would even venture a thought here and say that Brennan looks surprisingly better than I'd thought. And he has a mean streak - really like that. I really like the signing ... could be a darkhorse pairing with Franson.

Dion-Gunnar
Gardiner-Ranger
Franson-Brennan
Fraser-Liles

PP:
Gardiner-Dion
Franson-Brennan/Ranger

PK:
Dion-Ranger
Franson-Gunnar

The larger question to me is not Brennan vs Holzer, but Brennan vs Fraser. Personally, I'd give Brennan every chance I could of replacing the far-less mobile Fraser.

Agree with you. would prefer giving brennan a spot and have reilly spend another year in junior.

i still like the toughness fraser brings to the team. maybe he plays against teams like boston and buffalo

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
There's no need to cut Liles. Demoting Smith and Holzer puts us under the limit.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Kadri, Franson and Raymond for a hair over 6million. Excellent job, Nono.

I really think we're going to see Colborne and Liles to Calgary before the end of the week.

Our roster for the season will be;

JVR - Ballsak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
Ashton - McClement - Orr/McLaren

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Ranger
Franson - Fraser
Rielly/Holzer/Brennan

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Great deal but I feel bad for Nonis this coming offseason

UFA
Kessel, Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Raymond, Fraser, Ranger

RFA
Colborne, Franson, Gardiner, Reimer

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

I really think we're going to see Colborne and Liles to Calgary before the end of the week.

JVR - Ballsak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Ranger
Franson - Fraser
Rielly/Holzer/Brennan

Love it. #2 D, #1C away from being legit contenders.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Well this is the reason I wanted Nonis to trade Liles and sign Franson to a long-term contract, if he does well, he will go to arbitration and may get possibly a 4 mill per year plus ruling, in his favour and with the other contracts expiring, notably Kessel and Phanuef, not to mention Kulemin, McClement and Bolland, all having to be signed next year.

Player it by year, a lot of things can happen throughout the season to free up cap.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Love it. #2 D, #1C away from being legit contenders.

yeaaaa, that whole #1C thing might be a bit of a concern lol

The #2 d-man could be a little easier. I actually think Gardiner or possibly even Rielly could be that guy soon enough. Not guaranteed but less of a concern in my opinion than a #1C. Though, perhaps that could be Kadri? I doubt it but it's not entirely unreasonable to think Kadri could be a ~75 point, decent 2-way centerman.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Love the signing, means that we'll probably lose one or two of Holzer, Brennan or Fraser though... will likely get picked up on waivers.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Great deal but I feel bad for Nonis this coming offseason

UFA
Kessel, Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Raymond, Fraser, Ranger

RFA
Colborne, Franson, Gardiner, Reimer

I think we are fine.
Would be really nice if we can give Phaneuf 5.5 mil, Kessel 7.5 mil. That's only 1 mil more than we are paying them combined now.

Bolland will get about a mil less, Kule about a mil more.

Rest would cost about an extra 9ish mil.

Liles will be gone, cap might rise.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
yeaaaa, that whole #1C thing might be a bit of a concern lol

The #2 d-man could be a little easier. I actually think Gardiner or possibly even Rielly could be that guy soon enough. Not guaranteed but less of a concern in my opinion than a #1C. Though, perhaps that could be Kadri? I doubt it but it's not entirely unreasonable to think Kadri could be a ~75 point, decent 2-way centerman.

I really think Kadri can produce as a #1 C, but Id rather have him on the 2nd line and get a better version of Bozak as #1 C.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Player it by year, a lot of things can happen throughout the season to free up cap.

I agree completely play it one year at a time but I just hope, Nonis hasn't painted himself into a corner, for next year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Franson can be traded if there is no room for him, as Rielly probably has his last season in junior this year, and then they have other defenders who are knocking on the door, Percy for one.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

JVR - Ballsak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Ranger
Franson - Fraser
Rielly/Holzer/Brennan

Add in Reimer to the above and this is a window into Nonis' work schedule next year. This is when we'll see what kind of GM we have.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think we are fine.
Would be really nice if we can give Phaneuf 5.5 mil, Kessel 7.5 mil. That's only 1 mil more than we are paying them combined now.

Bolland will get about a mil less, Kule about a mil more.

Rest would cost about an extra 9ish mil.

Liles will be gone, cap might rise.

Trading Liles, letting go of a few depth players like Fraser and with a cap rise, Leafs should be fine.

We will likely lose a player like Kulemin though, unless he signs a fair contract is he puts up another bad offensive year.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Great cap management. Number of NHL bodies Nonis fit in with this cap is just remarkable.

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad