Value of: Toronto - Calgary (Nylander + Hamilton)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
At this time there is zero reason to move Nylander for Hamilton. There are teams who will more a top 4 RHD for our 1st+(futures) We have Lilj who is really learning his 2 way game with the marlies and will be ready some time this season. Also Rumor has it J.T is interested in Tor so we then need to keep Willie to play with Matthews and J.T play with Marner then go after Tanev and IMO that makes 1 of the best rosters in the NHL

And a team whose cap structure is absolutely pooched but yeah, fun 2018/19 anyways

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
People also conveniently leave out that Hamilton's possession and defensive metrics are actually great for the last three years, along with his offense. Just because he pinches and shoots a lot doesn't mean he sucks at playing defense.

He's also 6'6''. He's not a huge hitter but does use his body. He's very far from being a one dimensional offensive d-man.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
At least Hamilton can play defense, Gardiner just costed you a game in the series. So put that 52 point narrative away, he’s not a forward. Gardiner at this point is just a throw in, you guys don’t even want him anymore. Maybe a team will throw a 2nd rounder for him.
Lol ok. He has more points than every Flame less 2 players.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
People also conveniently leave out that Hamilton's possession and defensive metrics are actually great for the last three years, along with his offense. Just because he pinches and shoots a lot doesn't mean he sucks at playing defense.
Without a doubt, Hamilton is a very good defenseman.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
NHL works a lot on precedent when negotiating trades and contracts. If we use the most recent Duchene trade as an example.

Duchene

for

OTT 2019 1st
NSH 2nd
OTT 3rd-
Shane Bowers (1st)
Vladislav Kamanev (2nd)
Sam Girard (2nd)

First Sens wanted to move on from Turris and Duchene was the only C available at the time. They vastly overpaid and so the question becomes are the TML going to be stupid enough to do what you suggest? I don't think so. As wingers will never hold the same value as a 1RHD I would think there should be a small add if all things were equal. Issue is that Nylander is coming off ELC and could be locked up long term for 6-6.5 while Hamilton is older and closer to UFA status. We are not essentially trading 3 First for Hamilton.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
This is the problem discussing value with some Leaf fans. Their 60 point player for some reason has 80 point value. Not that there isn’t potential left in Nylander but the same can be said for the defenseman who is only 2 years older.

So you agree Hamilton is a 1D despite never showing it? (Playing with a 1D doesn't mean you are too)
Or do you only dispute things about Nylander?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
At least Hamilton can play defense, Gardiner just costed you a game in the series. So put that 52 point narrative away, he’s not a forward. Gardiner at this point is just a throw in, you guys don’t even want him anymore. Maybe a team will throw a 2nd rounder for him.

Hahaha yeah put those facts away, they don't suit me... good god

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's pretty simple, one is a core piece of a team that basically had a playoff spot locked up by January and the other was a core piece of a complete failure.

Both teams are cute on paper but one actually performs.

Yikes.

Nice proposal OP, one of the better ones I've seen for Hamilton. Too bad you forgot that a couple players play for the Leafs in the hockey mecca located at the center of the universe, therefore making their inherent value greater than what it's widely perceived to be.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm a Flames fan first and a Leafs fan second. I watch both teams a lot. Hamilton is a better player than Nylander. There's no doubt about it. But the difference is one of the two pieces listed in the OP, not both. A late first=Jake Gardiner. Gardiner is a very similar player to TJ Brodie. A good puck mover and skater prone to the occasional brain cramp. Hamilton for Nylander and a 1st would be a fair offer. If I'm the Flames I'm not doing it as I can find the RW I need in free agency and can't find Hamilton in free agency. Gardiner is still a good defenceman. Not an elite one, but a good top 4 guy.

Reactions: Flamesjustwin

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hamilton seems to have all of the tools yet consistently finds himself in trade talk. Begs the question as to why. Somewhat leaves a cautious feeling around wanting to acquire him.

What trade talks? The only "constant" trade offers being made are by other fans drooling over the prospect of obtaining him.

To clear the air, Flames fans LOVE Dougie Hamilton. His on-ice performance is irreplaceable, his wrist-shot snipe is one of the best on the roster, and his off-ice photo-bombs are hilarious.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Because it’s not everyone who has the same learning curve and some reaches their ceiling at 19-20-21-22 while other reaches their ceiling at 23-24-25-26.

Take Ovy/Crosby for example. They put up 100ish point has 19 years old. Did they ever « got better » and put up 130-150 points? No. I put Nylander in that category. He’s been great ever since he joined the league but he has already reached his offensive ceiling. He’s been consistent ever since he joined the league and he is going to be a 60-70 points winger his whole carreer and there’s nothing wrong with that. I don’t know why you get all offended by that

Who says I am offended?

I provided you with some comparables, all you've provided me with is your subjective opinion.

What makes you think he has plateaued? You mention he's been a consistent 60 point player...he's 2 years into his career....

Crosby and Ovechkin are not the normal progression curves for players. If you are using them as your standard, you are miscalculating.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
His comment is not very good obviously but come on... just pissing on an already existing pissing match.

I don't know why it needs to be a pissing match. IMO these two teams are great trading partners, and I think Nylander and Hamilton make a really solid foundation for both. Calgary has a couple bluechip quality D prospects, and they really need some help up front skill wise.

I would be willing to add a little to Willy. I don't think Gardiner or a 1st is fair, but that's just me. I get the argument for it being fair, and I am not offended by it.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I don't know why it needs to be a pissing match. IMO these two teams are great trading partners, and I think Nylander and Hamilton make a really solid foundation for both. Calgary has a couple bluechip quality D prospects, and they really need some help up front skill wise.

I would be willing to add a little to Willy. I don't think Gardiner or a 1st is fair, but that's just me. I get the argument for it being fair, and I am not offended by it.
If I'm a Leafs fan I don't give up that much for Hamilton.... Doesn't make sense. Leafs will just get Carlson and call it a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad