Value of: Toronto - Calgary (Nylander + Hamilton)

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
A Nylander for Hamilton base is a very good starting point and something I'd be all over as a Leafs' fan with additions here or there. But adding in Gardiner and a 1st on top of Nylander is just plain ridiculous. Gardiner himself put up more points than Hamilton last year. Hamilton holds nowhere near this sort of value.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
how is that going to be possible when leaf fans vs the rest of hf have a different opinion on what a fair 1 for 1 trade for nylander is?
I am trying to see what the Leafs deem as fair for Nylander 1 for 1.

Have you considered that the leafs don't want to get fair value for him because they expect him to increase his value?
Sure... What is fair value in your mind then, including his elite potential?

I don't think there's a good answer for that until we can be sure whether he's a center or not. Right now he's probably a bit below Hamilton level but could easily make strides this year
That's fair. I just see a lot of shitting on Hamilton not being the right guy for the Leafs in a 1 for 1 trade. Which is fine. Personally I would want someone else for Hamilton over Nylander anyways.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
A Nylander for Hamilton base is a very good starting point and something I'd be all over as a Leafs' fan with additions here or there. But adding in Gardiner and a 1st on top of Nylander is just plain ridiculous. Gardiner himself put up more points than Hamilton last year. Hamilton holds nowhere near this sort of value.
I agree that Fans shit on Gardiner way too much.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Back to back 60+ point years on an ELC and Nylander is leaving everyone expecting/wanting more. Given Nylander can develop into a center there is no one on the Flames roster I'd trade Nylander for straight up let alone a package. Nylander can still become a 70-80 point center, given he'll be locked up under 7 million, not a trade chip, he's a foundational piece.

As for Hamilton, don't care, he's great at driving offense but Leafs have a top five points from the blueline squad already. Hamilton doesn't solve the Leafs issues, if Hamilton shot left no Leaf fan would care about him.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
And this is why the Leafs will not be targeting players like Hamilton or Trouba....not looking for their own version of Hall/Larsson.
Lol never change leafs fans. Marner has not achieved what Hall had at the time of that trade, and Hamilton has achieved far more than Larsson had a the time of that trade. People use this as a barometer (rightfully so, just a putrid trade) but it really doesn't fit this scenario in any way.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
People also conveniently leave out that Hamilton's possession and defensive metrics are actually great for the last three years, along with his offense. Just because he pinches and shoots a lot doesn't mean he sucks at playing defense.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That's fair. I just see a lot of ****ting on Hamilton not being the right guy for the Leafs in a 1 for 1 trade. Which is fine. Personally I would want someone else for Hamilton over Nylander anyways.

I think that's fair right now, Hamilton falls somewhere between Willy and Marner at this point imo but I think Nylander has more potential to increase his value significantly. I also don't think it's unfair for Leafs fans to not want Hamilton as the guy back as they are more in need of a defence first guy to round things out

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
you are delusional if you think hamilton will be a 60-70 point two way D. he doesn't have the ability to do it and he's a weak defender that may possibly get better in his own zone, unlikely though.
You are delusional if you think nylander will be a 75-80 point forward. He doesn't have the ability to do it and he's a weak 2 way player that may get better in his defensive zone, unlikely though.

See what I did there... just because you spout something ridiculous does not make it true. 24 year old #1/2RHD who led the league in goals has more value then what is right now a 60 point winger.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You are delusional if you think nylander will be a 75-80 point forward. He doesn't have the ability to do it and he's a weak 2 way player that may get better in his defensive zone, unlikely though.

See what I did there... just because you spout something ridiculous does not make it true. 24 year old #1/2RHD who led the league in goals has more value then what is right now a 60 point winger.

What a smart and thought out point are you doing any TED talks soon that I can attend?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Lol never change leafs fans. Marner has not achieved what Hall had at the time of that trade, and Hamilton has achieved far more than Larsson had a the time of that trade. People use this as a barometer (rightfully so, just a putrid trade) but it really doesn't fit this scenario in any way.
Tra la la la....all i meant was that the Leafs are not going to be swinging for the fences, they will target other D at a lesser cost to acquire.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
This is just soo wrong lol. Nylander>Monohan just wait you will see eventually.
Where did monohan come from? 'Just you wait you will see eventually' is a pretty weak argument regardless...

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I'll leave my last thoughts in here as this thread will go where it usually goes with regards to these two players....down the drain.

Value wise this would be close.

Just doesn't make sense for either team to really do this.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
What a smart and thought out point are you doing any TED talks soon that I can attend?
You missed the ENTIRE point of the post... I'm sure you can dig up a TED talk on reading comprehension though

Real great argument though, instead of any actual input into the conversation you once again resort to sarcastic vitriol. A+ dude

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I just don’t see how a 60 pts Winger can be worth more than a #1 RHD. I just can’t...
It's pretty simple, one is a core piece of a team that basically had a playoff spot locked up by January and the other was a core piece of a complete failure.

Both teams are cute on paper but one actually performs.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Ya hamilton is an over the hill being all of 2 years older... 24 year old RH #1 defenders grow on trees... and everyone knows at 24 defenders have reached their peak. ;)
At this time there is zero reason to move Nylander for Hamilton. There are teams who will more a top 4 RHD for our 1st+(futures) We have Lilj who is really learning his 2 way game with the marlies and will be ready some time this season. Also Rumor has it J.T is interested in Tor so we then need to keep Willie to play with Matthews and J.T play with Marner then go after Tanev and IMO that makes 1 of the best rosters in the NHL

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
I dont understand your logic. Are you comparing Larsson and Hamonic to Hamilton? I think you will find that the majority of people that dont have leaf coloured goggles on know Hamilton is in a league of his own in this comparison.
He was making fun of using bad trade examples to justify making another shitty trade. There was never a comparison of your players and Hamilton’s name wasn’t implied or brought up in his comment.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

nylander has a better chance at 80 points than hamilton does at 60-70. its much more common for forwards to have 70-80 points than it is for blueliners to amass only 10 less than that. its quite absurd you couldn't make that connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad