Joe Bowen (Leafs Radio Broadcaster) Becomes Irate About How Quiet Leafs Fans Are With A Few Minutes Left Of G3

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Not new there. The beer and bathroom lines are long when you wait for the horn.
I’ve been down there many times. Lines are no longer there than anywhere else in the arena.

If you’ve been there you know why they’re not back in their seats before puck drop.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I’ve been down there many times. Lines are no longer there than anywhere else in the arena.

If you’ve been there you know why they’re not back in their seats before puck drop.
I've been there once, when it was the ACC. My second hand experience was beer and bathroom lines.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Oh now it's since the lockout. Keep moving the goal posts.

Buffalo fans can enjoy their "since the lockout success", I guess.

Talk to me if your team ever makes the playoffs.

Since the lockout and/or salary-cap era is a very common goalpost. I'm not a Sabres fan, just pointing out how absurd it is for a Leafs fan to talk shit about anything related to hockey.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

At least they’re not staring at smartphones. That’s something.

Expensive ass tickets means only rich people can go. This is not news.

We'd have the loudest building in the league by far if you let the hooligans in Oshawa, Bowmanville, Whitby, etc in.

Not to mention letting the crowd outside the building in. Let the young people in from Leafs Square. Most expensive tickets int he league, hooligan fans cant f***ing afford it. Its a ticket or rent.
This was my first thought when gifting tickets came up. Find the real diehards who can’t afford those tickets. Bet it would be plenty loud. Cool idea too, I think.

Reactions: Canadienna

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I was at all three Toronto home games in 2019 against Boston and it was much louder inside compared to what the building sounded like on Wednesday. These people need some drinks in them and just get loud. No excuses tomorrow for a Saturday night game to not get that building rocking...

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
They should gift the whole arena for a playoff series or 2.

It would drag the NHL's Hockey Related Revenue down so much Phoenix/Arizona/Utah/whatever their name is now fold due to lack of funding by Toronto.

I wonder how many playoff Leafs home games would generate the same revenue that Mullet Arena generated this past year, or whatever the arena in Sunrise is called, or a few others in the league.

I'd put the over/under at 2.5 home games in the playoffs generating as much revenue as 41 home games for Arizona and/or Florida this past year.

So, you’re saying that 2.5 Leaf home playoff games brings in more money than 41 home games for the Panthers? Wow that’s impressive, but I think you are wrong. According to HOckeyDB.com, the Maple Leafs were eighth in the league for average home attendance with 18,789. The Florida Panthers were ninth with 18,632. And yes I know Toronto charges more for their tickets, but two (2) and half (I’m assuming that you are only counting half of the stadium) playoff games versus 41 home dates for Florida, doesn’t feel right to me. I could be wrong though.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I've been there once, when it was the ACC. My second hand experience was beer and bathroom lines.
I get it. But that happens everywhere in the building.

There’s a reason why all the other sections don’t have huge chunks of empty seats at the start of the periods.

When you were there did you happen to see what those people do at intermission?

It’s not grabbing a beer, a hot dog and then have to wait in line lol

Those seats are empty because watching the game and cheering for the leafs isn’t a top priority for the people who have those seats.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I get it. But that happens everywhere in the building.

There’s a reason why all the other sections don’t have huge chunks of empty seats at the start of the periods.

When you were there did you happen to see what those people do at intermission?

It’s not grabbing a beer, a hot dog and then have to wait in line lol

Those seats are empty because watching the game and cheering for the leafs isn’t a top priority for the people who have those seats.
It's definitely "Bay Street" crowd that can afford the silvers. I was up in the nosebleeds, and those I was with noted difficult getting back in time if they waited for the horn to go hit the head and replenish their beers. They may not have missed the first 5 minutes, but they were definitely delayed.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Been to a couple games this season, but one thing I've noticed that's been around only recently it seems is that the Scotiabank arena brings out these "crowd engagement" staff whose job it is to get the crowd fired up.

Like they'll stand on the stairs during stoppages and try to get a section clapping or cheering, just to get some noise in the building. I don't remember them needing to do that in the past.

Of course, it could be argued that the play on the ice doesn't inspire much to get excited about, and with these Leafs (5-13 at home in the playoffs under Keefe), that's starting to become a trend.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You want quiet, you should've gone to Maple Leaf Gardens in the early 80's. I've been to Quaker churches that have been louder.

Blaming the fans for the Leaf's losses is just flailing, and giving a pass to the management who has made a series of disastrous signing decisions.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
So, you’re saying that 2.5 Leaf home playoff games brings in more money than 41 home games for the Panthers? Wow that’s impressive, but I think you are wrong. According to HOckeyDB.com, the Maple Leafs were eighth in the league for average home attendance with 18,789. The Florida Panthers were ninth with 18,632. And yes I know Toronto charges more for their tickets, but two (2) and half (I’m assuming that you are only counting half of the stadium) playoff games versus 41 home dates for Florida, doesn’t feel right to me. I could be wrong though.

You can buy packages to Florida games where for under $50, you get a ticket, a beer, and a hot dog.

The same package in Toronto would run you a few hundred in the playoffs.

I could definitely be wrong on the 2.5 games, but it's not going to be far off in terms of revenue.

A beer at the ACC costs almost $20.
You get up to buy a dog, popcorn, and a beer for 2 people and you're dropping nearly $100.

MLSE knows they can charge this and the people who can afford to go, will pay.

But you're not going to have people spend a week's worth of salary on a game, per person attending.

For these reasons, the demographics of the attendees will not be similar to that of Florida, Arizona, Anaheim, and a bunch of other arenas.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
They should swap the outside crowd for the inside crowd.
That isn't how this works.
I was at all three Toronto home games in 2019 against Boston and it was much louder inside compared to what the building sounded like on Wednesday. These people need some drinks in them and just get loud. No excuses tomorrow for a Saturday night game to not get that building rocking...
People were definitely drinking on Wednesday based on the washroom lines.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
They should swap the outside crowd for the inside crowd.
It's more fun to be outside.
Bag full of beer , box of pizza in my hand, sharing and trading with others outside. Cheaper and more fun!
Atleast that's how it used to be outside for playoffs games before mlse closed it off and made more rules about it lol

Reactions: Score8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad