Value of: Toronto - Calgary (Nylander + Hamilton)

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Lol, Captain Crunch is calling me clueless, so cute.

Nylander is coming off an ELC Hamilton has a couple seasons left until he'll become massively overpaid for declining UFA years. Which asset has the most long term return for the investment. Nylander prime years are ahead of them while Hamilton is pretty much in his prime.

The age difference matters in this context but you, me, everyone reading this already knows that, so spare me the 'clueless' bs.

Oh and Hamilton is right handed Jake Gardiner, dude is meh.

Even worse then your previouos post

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Still claims of Hamilton not being a num 1 even though I just posted proof of this on the last page. If you're going to say he's not, prove it with statistics!!

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Still claims of Hamilton not being a num 1 even though I just posted proof of this on the last page. If you're going to say he's not, prove it with statistics!!
Hard to call a player a number 1 defender when they play the 4th most ATOI at even strength of any flames defender.

The Gio-Hamilton pair is also used in the offensive zone more than the Brodie-Hamonic pairing so that would partly explain the difference between the shot metrics of each pairing.

Also the stats you posted on the other page lack context. When Hamilton wasn't playing with Gio, Hamilton was playing with Brodie with easier usage while Gio was still playing on the top pairing with Hamonic (or Stone).

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
No, Flames don't need Nylander more than they need Hamilton. If you ever a trade a top pairing dman signed to 5.25 with length, you better get a sure fire top line RWer with size.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Hard to call a player a number 1 defender when they play the 4th most ATOI at even strength of any flames defender.

The Gio-Hamilton pair is also used in the offensive zone more than the Brodie-Hamonic pairing so that would partly explain the difference between the shot metrics of each pairing.

Also the stats you posted on the other page lack context. When Hamilton wasn't playing with Gio, Hamilton was playing with Brodie with easier usage while Gio was still playing on the top pairing with Hamonic (or Stone).
A difference in zone starts, even if it were on the two opposite ends of the spectrum (which I don't believe it is) doesn't explain the huge gap in numbers.

Almost all of Hamilton's time away from Gio was on the fly and it's a super small sample size so I doubt there is anything to be drawn from it anyways. But Hamilton having amazing analytics isn't exactly new he was the exact same way in Boston.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We should close this thread and everyone like it. We can test our hypotheses easily enough by waiting to see what happens.

Regardless of which team you are GM for, I can't see any GM not understanding the market for a decent defender unless they've been living in a cave, or have been asleep for the last 5 years. That applies regardless if its Reilly/Gardiner or Hamilton, etc.

Hence, if your trade proposal consists of 2nd(s), B prospects, and bottom line(s) (3rd/4th) forwards and/or bottom pairing defenders, you should know its not sufficient and not much point in throwing it out in a trade discussion (unless you like to argue).

Last edited:
Reactions: Flameshomer

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
A difference in zone starts, even if it were on the two opposite ends of the spectrum (which I don't believe it is) doesn't explain the huge gap in numbers.

Almost all of Hamilton's time away from Gio was on the fly and it's a super small sample size so I doubt there is anything to be drawn from it anyways. But Hamilton having amazing analytics isn't exactly new he was the exact same way in Boston.
Agreed that the 10% of the time spent away from Gio was too small to draw any really conclusions.

Also I said it would partly explain the difference which it does, obviously the Gio-Hamilton pairing is much better at driving play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->