Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
True.

But neither was Marchand who signed the best UFA contract in NHL.

If Krug likes it in Boston, he will take less than he would elsewhere for sure.

I would give him 42M/6y.

Hopefully, Sweeney knows what it will take and has already decided if he was willing to give him that.

Extend him or trade him.

I would extend him. What can’t happen is him leaving next summer. Unless they won the Cup. Only acceptable turn of events.

Isn’t it too late to trade him? If they trade him now it’s the Boychuk trade all over. Unless you can pull off a hockey trade in August...which seems unlikely.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Girard only had 5 less even strength points per game last year than Torey Krug. While Krug is definitely the much better offensive player. Not everyone in the league gets offensive opportunities that Krug does, such as nearly 4 minutes of power play time per game and 66% offensive zone starts.

Also you have to take into account Girard just played his age 20 season and his game is still growing. Not only that but Colorado will be paying him $5mil Into his prime.

Another factor is Krug becomes a free agent for his age 29 season. So if you are committing a long term deal to him. Those last couple years of his deal he will be past his prime and could be a David Backes type situation by the end of it.

Hard to compare two players who are at different points of their career. Girard has put up solid even strength numbers, but hasn’t been given the offensive opportunity Krug has been given yet. With Tyson Barrie gone Girard will be getting much more POwer Play time and will now be on the top unit.

That's just it Krug has already played his years of being an RFA and now its time for him to cash in at even an higher rate, that star players will get when they hit the open market. When a player like Girard, who I agree has great potential,but that's just it and Krug already has years of experience behind him where's proven he can perform night in and night out and on top of that has been one of the premier playoff performers over the last 3 seasons. Krug has managed 40 points in 47 playoff games, which is just above the charts and deserving of attention, showing everyone he can produce on the biggest stage at the most pressured times.

He has accomplished so much more than Girard and will get payed by someone out-there 3-4 mil per more or more, than a Girard.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That's just it Krug has already played his years of being an RFA and now its time for him to cash in at even an higher rate, that star players will get when they hit the open market. When a player like Girard, who I agree has great potential,but that's just it and Krug already has years of experience behind him where's proven he can perform night in and night out and on top of that has been one of the premier playoff performers over the last 3 seasons. Krug has managed 40 points in 47 playoff games, which is just above the charts and deserving of attention, showing everyone he can produce on the biggest stage at the most pressured times.

He has accomplished so much more than Girard and will get payed by someone out-there 3-4 mil per more or more, than a Girard.

3-4 million more? Dear god I hope we aren’t paying him 8-9 million per season. No way should they be paying krug that much especially when the last few years of that deal will be scary when he starts to tail off like backes.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
3-4 million more? Dear god I hope we aren’t paying him 8-9 million per season. No way should they be paying krug that much especially when the last few years of that deal will be scary when he starts to tail off like backes.

I'm with you, but some team out-there will.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm with you, but some team out-there will.

This UFA market was a lot quieter than expected.

A year ago a lot of us were down on Krug due to a disappointing playoffs. If he doesn't play well next year in the playoffs his free agency could be similar to Gardiner's. I'm not comparing the 2 at all just saying his stock might be at its highest right now.

The offense isn't going anywhere if a team friendly deal that doesn't make him the highest Bruin and isn't 8 year is an option I do it.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Krug isn't taking 6-6.5 per. Why would he? I would bet if the Bruins want to extend him, they offer more right out of the gate. At the same time, how do they afford him and McAvoy who is clearly angling for a big payday? Gryz is due for a raise after this coming season, and then you are going to have Lauzon, Zboril, Urho whover looking to get paid above their ELCs also. Give Krug and Chucky 8 mil+ each for several years? Is that affordable? Maybe, but is it smart?
I really hope this doesn't boil down to a keep Krug or McAvoy situation, but that is very much where things are headed if DS cannot free up some serious cap room and McAvoy/Krug both want long term at near max market value. Krug 100% needs to be getting what he can at a long term due to his age. I do not expect him to give the Bs a massive discount, nor should he. This will be his last chance at a big lucrative deal. It scares the hell out of me what will happen to the Bs without Krug. It also scares the hell out of me what will happen to the Bs if Charlie is not here. If one of them indeed has to go, my money is that it will ultimately have to be Krug.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I really hope this doesn't boil down to a keep Krug or McAvoy situation, but that is very much where things are headed if DS cannot free up some serious cap room and McAvoy/Krug both want long term at near max market value. Krug 100% needs to be getting what he can at a long term due to his age. I do not expect him to give the Bs a massive discount, nor should he. This will be his last chance at a big lucrative deal. It scares the hell out of me what will happen to the Bs without Krug. It also scares the hell out of me what will happen to the Bs if Charlie is not here. If one of them indeed has to go, my money is that it will ultimately have to be Krug.

The bruins power play was at 30% when krug was out early in the year (small sample size) and The 2nd unit with McAvoy scored at a higher rate in the playoffs than the first unit with krug in the playoffs.

Not saying we won’t miss krug offensively if he doesn’t come back, but there has been a couple solid small sample sizes now that suggest it won’t be a steep drop off. Also if we can get away from backes playing nearly 2 minutes of power play time per game last year that is also a plus.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Isn’t it too late to trade him? If they trade him now it’s the Boychuk trade all over. Unless you can pull off a hockey trade in August...which seems unlikely.
One difference would be the Bruins not having 3 or 4 NHL ready LHD waiting for a spot. The other difference is losing Krug would murder the powerplay, adding a huge, unnecessary degree of difficulty to the 2020 playoffs.

So, in some ways not as bad while in others, absolutely catastrophic.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’m at peace with letting Torey walk. I hate it as a huge fan of his, but in terms of maxing this window? Go for it. We’ve got 1 year left anyway..use Torey as your version of a “rental”

I am not at peace with letting him walk at all. If indications are he is going to walk and we won’t be able to sign him to the a deal because it’s too much $$ we better trade him and get some sort of value for him.

member 96824

I am not at peace with letting him walk at all. If indications are he is going to walk and we won’t be able to sign him to the a deal because it’s too much $$ we better trade him and get some sort of value for him.

What do you think that value would be? Assuming the market for Krug would be buyers, not people looking to sell off “win now” parts, so you’re looking at like a Boychuk type trade where you give up on the core for 2019-20 in the name of value.

I’m all about asset management when it’s necessary, but this is a win now core. Might as well trade Krejci, Chara, Bergeron, and Rask if you’re more focused on lifetime value of assets vs. present value.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What do you think that value would be? Assuming the market for Krug would be buyers, not people looking to sell off “win now” parts, so you’re looking at like a Boychuk type trade where you give up on the core for 2019-20 in the name of value.

I’m all about asset management when it’s necessary, but this is a win now core. Might as well trade Krejci, Chara, Bergeron, and Rask if you’re more focused on lifetime value of assets vs. present value.

I would look for a 2nd line RW to trade for and let gryz or Vaak get 2nd pairing. If it’s not the case I would look for a mid to late round first and a mid level prospect. No way am I just letting him walk though.

However since teams have already spent most of their money this year, it’s more realistic that relatively equal salaries will be traded in the deal which would suggest teams trading relative equal value.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Gord Milller made an interesting point today on TSN 690. They were discussing the Shattenkirk buyout and when asked his opinion on Shattenkirk he said he never really saw what people saw in him. The interesting point he made was that he points out that the average team scores about 40 PP goals per season , so if your playing on the 1st unit PP you can count on a nice boost to your totals. Does this perhaps apply to Krug as well?

member 96824

I would look for a 2nd line RW to trade for and let gryz or Vaak get 2nd pairing. If it’s not the case I would look for a mid to late round first and a mid level prospect. No way am I just letting him walk though.

If the B’s didn’t have Krug, would you trade a 1st and mid level prospect for him?

I sure as hell would with the way this team is currently constructed.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If the B’s didn’t have Krug, would you trade a 1st and mid level prospect for him?

I sure as hell would with the way this team is currently constructed.

Ya I would. That’s a fair deal for krug. There’s 3 scenarios with krug right now...

1) trade him between now and the trade deadline
2) sign him to a contract extension
3) play out the season and let him walk because they can’t afford him/agree on a deal

The 3rd option is by far the worst option of the three.

member 96824

Ya I would. That’s a fair deal for krug. There’s 3 scenarios with krug right now...

3) play out the season and let him walk because they can’t afford him/agree on a deal

Do you think the Bruins have the roster to make a run this year?

Maybe that’s where we differ.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Do you think the Bruins have the roster to make a run this year?

Maybe that’s where we differ.

Yes I do. I think they are a top 5 team in the NHL with or without krug. I would prefer to get a 2nd line winger for him someone with term like coyle.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I like option 3 more than option 1. 2 depends on length and cap hit.

I’d love to see the blueline we saw game 4 vs Carolina again and really hope this year is it for Chara.

Honestly I don’t see our forward group being Cup level anytime soon or rather collectively improving from where it is right now. As in for a decade plus. When are we gonna be in a position to draft a McDavid? So I want a blue line that makes up for it which means Krug has a place somewhere. Happy to overpay in terms of AAV if it’s 4 years or less. 5+ years 8 per I walk away.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Basically for the Bs to make a serious run again the offense is going to have to come from somewhere. If they trade Krug and the team still can generate offense then fine. That's a very big if, though. If they trade Krug and his offense is not replaced then the team is hosed from being Cup contenders. Where they need to improve most is in 5 v 5 scoring. We all saw the way the Finals were reffed -- swallowed whistles. The Blues were a better 5 v 5 team, and edged the Bs out as a result. I do think the Bs can make a deep run without Krug, but with the huge caveat that they absolutely must have his offensive production replaced, whether that comes from the forwards or the D. The D itself in its own zone will be fine without Krug. There is enough depth. It's the transition game, PP obviously, and the Ozone where someone will have to step up. I say all of that wanting badly for Krug to stay with the team because I understand what he brings. I'm just saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and if proper moves are made then the team can certainly compete for a Cup without Krug.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

That is where I am with it also, and I am a Krug fan; I like the guy. But a team that wants to have depth enough for deep playoff runs and cup contention just can't have that much tied up into two d-men. Look at the Sharks with Burns and Karlsson- that's 25% of their cap. Bruins just can't do that.

EDIT: forgot about Vlasic at $7mil :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
That is where I am with it also, and I am a Krug fan; I like the guy. But a team that wants to have depth enough for deep playoff runs and cup contention just can't have that much tied up into two d-men. Look at the Sharks with Burns and Karlsson- that's 25% of their cap. Bruins just can't do that.

EDIT: forgot about Vlasic at $7mil :eek:

Yeah, count me in too. As MC said there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Here are some of the issues I see,

1) This team relies on the PP too much.
2) One small Dman is an minor issue, two is problem.
3) Need more snarl in the top 9.
4) This team relies to much on 1st line.
5) Log jam of LD needs to be addressed before we lose quality Dmen to waivers and expansion draft.
6) Krejci can't go another season without a legit RW.

I trade Krug for a 1st and 2nd . I trade a 1st and a 3rd for Krieder. I trade Miller for a 3rd. I trade Moore for a 3rd.

So that gives ,

Marchy/Bergy/Hienen
Krieder/Krejci/Pasta
DeBrusk/Coyle/Ritchie-Seny
Nordy/Kuraly/Wagner
Seny/Freddy

McAvoy/Chara
Carlo/Uhro
Clifton/Gryz
Lauzon

Make it or break it year for Seny.

Next year I let Chara go, Bump the left side with Lauzon at the bottom, Zboril as the 7th D.

Reactions: Selke37

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, count me in too. As MC said there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Here are some of the issues I see,

1) This team relies on the PP too much.
2) One small Dman is an minor issue, two is problem.
3) Need more snarl in the top 9.
4) This team relies to much on 1st line.
5) Log jam of LD needs to be addressed before we lose quality Dmen to waivers and expansion draft.
6) Krejci can't go another season without a legit RW.

I trade Krug for a 1st and 2nd . I trade a 1st and a 3rd for Krieder. I trade Miller for a 3rd. I trade Moore for a 3rd.

So that gives ,

Marchy/Bergy/Hienen
Krieder/Krejci/Pasta
DeBrusk/Coyle/Ritchie-Seny
Nordy/Kuraly/Wagner
Seny/Freddy

McAvoy/Chara
Carlo/Uhro
Clifton/Gryz
Lauzon

Make it or break it year for Seny.

Next year I let Chara go, Bump the left side with Lauzon at the bottom, Zboril as the 7th D.

So you defense is still small, very inexperienced, and very shallow as you have no veteran depth, when the inevitable injuries hit

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
So you defense is still small, very inexperienced, and very shallow as you have no veteran depth, when the inevitable injuries hit

I see the no veteran depth part but I'm bigger than last year and I'm hoping we don't have the same ridiculous amount of injuries as last year. No plan is perfect , perhaps we keep Moore it's just that there is no room on my roster for him and he won't pass through waivers. Miller , as much as I love the player, I'm done with him, he can't stay healthy. But don't worry, this won't happen.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I’m at peace with letting Torey walk. I hate it as a huge fan of his, but in terms of maxing this window? Go for it. We’ve got 1 year left anyway..use Torey as your version of a “rental”

Absolutely. I thought of trading Krug, but not out of disdain for his play. He's a great player, but we just can't give him the money he deserves. Go out with a bang and I'll root for Krug wherever he goes (unless it's Montreal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad