Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Not every important player on this team can stay past this coming season. Let's assume DS decides to bring Krug back, and I will even assume it is at a slight discount. Who goes? How is that hole(s) filled with the team still staying compliant with the cap?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Not every important player on this team can stay past this coming season. Let's assume DS decides to bring Krug back, and I will even assume it is at a slight discount. Who goes?
Chara, Miller, and Moore. If Krug makes more than $7M, not re-signing Chara will do it.
How is that hole(s) filled with the team still staying compliant with the cap?
Vaakanainen

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
We made it within a game of the Stanley cup because of Tuukka Rask.

Wrong.

It was a team accomplishment.

As for Krug, Bruins are a much better team with him. If he ever leaves, the Bruins will start their search for a new Krug type and there are very few of those in NHL.

He’s elite, a leader and huge part of the core.

Don’t know what it will take to keep him with the new salary benchmark but hopefully, 42M/6y is.

Extend the Hobbit and enjoy a great PP for years.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Not every important player on this team can stay past this coming season. Let's assume DS decides to bring Krug back, and I will even assume it is at a slight discount. Who goes? How is that hole(s) filled with the team still staying compliant with the cap?

Krug already count for 5,25M on the Cap. Say his new Cap hit is 7,5M, that 2,25M Cap increase will be well covered by the 3M off the book of Beleskey+Seids next year.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Krug already count for 5,25M on the Cap. Say his new Cap hit is 7,5M, that 2,25M Cap increase will be well covered by the 3M off the book of Beleskey+Seids next year.
Thank you. I forgot about the Beleskey/Seids money. I was looking more at the money saved from possibly something being done about Killer and Moore if need be. Obviously it would be a big deal if DS can do something about Backes as well. Looking past this season, if Debrusk continues to improve this season he is going to ask for pretty good money on his next deal. Also, Coyle and Gryz will not be cheap if they play well this season. And, of course, who knows what McAvoy and Carlo will get when the re-sign for this season. Hard to see how all these guys will be able to be fit under the cap beyond this season, but maybe DS will find a way.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Yep, good observation. As @missingchicklet said, Gryz, DeBrusk, and Coyle will all need new deals and all three are probably in line for healthy raises. It's the same situation there, though. If Backes' hit can be moved, great. If not, you have Miller, Chara, and Halak that can go to add cap space in to about 7m to cover those guys. One of the ELC goalies needs to be ready if Halak is gone. But, it really isn't as bad as it looks at first blush to re-sign Krug or any of the others, so long as a the RW situation is sorted out. If it isn't . . .

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

If Ktug stays 2 or 3 of Gryz, moore, lauzon, and zboril should be moved. Also have Mcfaul coming in at the end of that.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Don’t forget that Chara has 3 million dollars of extremely attainable bonuses that might bleed over to next season.

And don’t forget that DeBrusk is going to get a huge raise.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
What’s the point of moving Lauzon and Zboril. Moore contract is what needs to go
I would move Moore for sure if possible. I liked that contract when it was signed, and I still do, in part because it makes Moore attractive trade bait. Solid enough d-man with offensive upside at a very reasonable price. The Bs only need so much D, and they also need to start making some room for the young guns to gain experience. Not sure how moveable Killer would be, but it would be great if the Bs could move him as well. Love his game, but he just can't stay healthy enough to justify his salary in an organization loaded with D.

The Bs still have Kampfer on the cheap for two more seasons, so he can slide in the event of injury and do a respectable enough job.

This stuff adds up and can matter when trying to keep stars such as Krug.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

What does Seattle mean.

You think Seattle is going to take Moore over Griz, and Clifford? Sure maybe if we add a #1, and maybe a prospect? But if we are giving up a #1 and maybe a prospect, then Seattle may just take Kampfer or one of our extra 3rd or 4th 3rd line wingers. I wouldn't hold Moore for 2 more years just so I can pay someone a #1 to take him in the expansion draft

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
What does Seattle mean.

You think Seattle is going to take Moore over Griz, and Clifford? Sure maybe if we add a #1, and maybe a prospect? But if we are giving up a #1 and maybe a prospect, then Seattle may just take Kampfer or one of our extra 3rd or 4th 3rd line wingers. I wouldn't hold Moore for 2 more years just so I can pay someone a #1 to take him in the expansion draft

Expansion Draft. We need people to expose over the ones we want to keep. Moore is a perfect choice to make available over someone else.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Expansion Draft. We need people to expose over the ones we want to keep. Moore is a perfect choice to make available over someone else.

What does Seattle mean.

By rule, the Bruins NEED TO expose someone that plays 40 games next year or 70 over the past two.

If they keep Krug, they are able to trade ONE of Gryz or Moore.

If they don't keep Krug (and protect Gryz), they need to keep Moore.

They could also make sure that one of Lauzon, Zboril or Clifton plays 40 games, but that is risky when looking at potential performance or injury developments.

edit: I am not sure if Kevan Miller could also fulfill the requirements as a UFA, but counting on him to get to 31 games next year is also scary. Kampfer could also satisfy the requirement if he plays 35 games, but we probably don't want that to happen.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
By rule, the Bruins NEED TO expose someone that plays 40 games next year or 70 over the past two.

If they keep Krug, they are able to trade ONE of Gryz or Moore.

If they don't keep Krug (and protect Gryz), they need to keep Moore.

They could also make sure that one of Lauzon, Zboril or Clifton plays 40 games, but that is risky when looking at potential performance or injury developments.

edit: I am not sure if Kevan Miller could also fulfill the requirements as a UFA, but counting on him to get to 31 games next year is also scary. Kampfer could also satisfy the requirement if he plays 35 games, but we probably don't want that to happen.

I certainly don't count on Moore playing 70 games the next 2 years. He is #7 on the depth chart, and that is even before you include the younger guys. I don't see any reason to believe Moore is more likely to play 70 games the next 2 year versus Clifton, especially where Moore will be out for potentially half of the coming season. And if someone like Vaak, Zboril or Lauzon step up, then it becomes even harder to imagine Moore getting 70 games played the next 2 seasons

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I certainly don't count on Moore playing 70 games the next 2 years. He is #7 on the depth chart, and that is even before you include the younger guys. I don't see any reason to believe Moore is more likely to play 70 games the next 2 year versus Clifton, especially where Moore will be out for potentially half of the coming season. And if someone like Vaak, Zboril or Lauzon step up, then it becomes even harder to imagine Moore getting 70 games played the next 2 seasons

Noone saw Clifton playing in the NHL last year either. But he did, played well, and continued to do so in the postseason.

Putting in Moore as the extra D for any injured on the backend has worked so far pretty well.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Cam Neely Believes Torey Krug Has Been ‘Big Part’ Of Bruins’ Recent Success

Torey Krug had a memorable year with the Boston Bruins, and even more memorable Stanley Cup playoff run.

The defenseman finished up his third straight 50-plus point season with the Black and Gold and remained healthy throughout Boston’s Stanley Cup appearance — something he struggled to do over the last five seasons.

Krug also made his mark when he laid a monstrous hit on St. Louis Blues forward Robert Thomas in Game 1, which earned him high praise from head coach Bruce Cassidy. And while the 28-year-old has dealt with injuries, team president Cam Neely believes Krug was a “big part” of Boston’s recent success.

“With Torey he’s one of the top PP defensemen in the league and our power play has been pretty damn good, and has won a lot of games for us. (Matt) Grzelcyk is coming along, but I don’t know if he sees the ice the way that Torey does,” Neely said in an interview with NBC Sports Boston. “And Charlie (McAvoy) just hasn’t shown that he’s a No. 1 power play defenseman just yet. Maybe some of that is just opportunity that hasn’t been there yet because of the way Torey handles the first unit. Torey has been a big part of our success the past few years.”

Certainly some high praise.

Krug can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season. And even though the team has other defensemen contracts to think about (Brandon Carlo, McAvoy), locking Krug up long-term certainly could be beneficial moving forward.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Cam Neely Believes Torey Krug Has Been ‘Big Part’ Of Bruins’ Recent Success

Torey Krug had a memorable year with the Boston Bruins, and even more memorable Stanley Cup playoff run.

The defenseman finished up his third straight 50-plus point season with the Black and Gold and remained healthy throughout Boston’s Stanley Cup appearance — something he struggled to do over the last five seasons.

Krug also made his mark when he laid a monstrous hit on St. Louis Blues forward Robert Thomas in Game 1, which earned him high praise from head coach Bruce Cassidy. And while the 28-year-old has dealt with injuries, team president Cam Neely believes Krug was a “big part” of Boston’s recent success.

“With Torey he’s one of the top PP defensemen in the league and our power play has been pretty damn good, and has won a lot of games for us. (Matt) Grzelcyk is coming along, but I don’t know if he sees the ice the way that Torey does,” Neely said in an interview with NBC Sports Boston. “And Charlie (McAvoy) just hasn’t shown that he’s a No. 1 power play defenseman just yet. Maybe some of that is just opportunity that hasn’t been there yet because of the way Torey handles the first unit. Torey has been a big part of our success the past few years.”

Certainly some high praise.

Krug can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of next season. And even though the team has other defensemen contracts to think about (Brandon Carlo, McAvoy), locking Krug up long-term certainly could be beneficial moving forward.

Watch SweeNeely lock Krug up now and just stare at the two RFA's agents like "Your move"

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Watch SweeNeely lock Krug up now and just stare at the two RFA's agents like "Your move"
I was thinking about that the other day. What if DS locks Krug up for a long-term deal at a team-friendly discount before signing Carlo/McAvoy? Could make things more interesting. I'm no contract expert, but if Krug really wants to stay with the Bs and is willing to sign at a discounted rate, then he might as well do it sooner rather than later. His stock isn't likely to go any higher after coming off a very strong playoff performance. It would also make sense for him as some insurance against having his value lowered if he gets injured this season. Maybe some middle ground could be reached by the Bs and the Krug camp. Of course if Krug is wanting to cash in on his next contract, which he certainly deserves to do, then all of that is pointless and he and DS should both wait things out.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Not a smart move considering he’s down nothing all off season. If McAvoy becomes a top 2 D-man and becomes a free agent he might remember this contract squabble. They pay an over the hill Backes what 5 mill a year and won’t budge on Mac/ Carlo. With that being said I want Krug signed as well. If that means ditching some players in Providence for the year oh well. Plus do you really want hold outs knowing a slow start might be an uphill battle for the whole season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Krug came in at number 16 for the second year in a row in the list of the NHL's 20 best blueliners ( McAvoy placed 14th ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad