Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mancini0518

Jan 26, 2008
MA
Krug will probably get 8 million on his next deal, and I am fine with that.

Paying your third defenseman 8 mill gets you into cap trouble down the line...especially when you're carrying an expensive backup to rest Tuukka during the season. Love Krug and what he's done but would sell high this offseason and get forward help.

Reactions: Strafer

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Paying your third defenseman 8 mill gets you into cap trouble down the line...especially when you're carrying an expensive backup to rest Tuukka during the season. Love Krug and what he's done but would sell high this offseason and get forward help.
I don't get what paying Halak would do with Krug since his deal wouldn't start till after Halak's ends.

Mancini0518

Jan 26, 2008
MA
I don't get what paying Halak would do with Krug since his deal wouldn't start till after Halak's ends.

Has nothing to do with halak. It’s clear their strategy is to have a solid backup to compliment Rask in the regular season. That’s going to run you 2-3 mil at current market rate. So you will always have ~10 mil locked up at goalie. Florida aside that’s always going to land you in the top 3 in terms of goalie spend.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Training camp, Bruins announce Krug 42M/6y extension.

Not making krug the highest paid player on the team nor should they give him that many years. I’d offer him 5 years/$30mil. If he doesn’t take it, trade him before it’s too late to sign another free agent and move gryz up to the 2nd line D, then let either lauzon or Vaak get 3rd pairing.

Reactions: JOKER 192 and TCB

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not making krug the highest paid player on the team nor should they give him that many years. I’d offer him 5 years/$30mil. If he doesn’t take it, trade him before it’s too late to sign another free agent and move gryz up to the 2nd line D, then let either lauzon or Vaak get 3rd pairing.

Rask and Krejci would still be making more, plus McAvoy potentially topping 7 per in RFA....but nice try bud

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Rask and Krejci would still be making more, plus McAvoy potentially topping 7 per in RFA....but nice try bud
Plus.. Marchand and Pasta would be at the level at making six million which you proposed that would create a three player tie.But I’ll say in your defense when you add more years on somebody that has a contract you pay front loaded money in the beginning. He could make 8 ,8 ,7 ,4 ,3 mill per.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Once the deal kicks in krejci will be paid more than him for one year out of the 6 years suggested. Also have to consider If you give him 6 years, the deal wouldn’t kick in until his age 29. No way should the bruins be paying krug $7mil at the age of 34 by the end of that deal. By age 33 he will be a 3rd pairing D getting paid $7mil.

If he doesn’t sign for 5yrs/$30. Trade him for a RW for the 2nd line. Or trade him for draft picks and use the $$ you save to sign a free agent and let Vaak/ lauzon battle it out next year and by 2020-2021 have Vaak/gryz/lauzon down the left side.

The power play did fine at the start of last year without krug and getting an actual 2nd line RW to play the power play instead of having David Backes get nearly 2 minutes of power play will help that unit immensely

Also mcavoy was a better power play QB in the playoffs with 8 goals in 23 power play minutes and that was with the 2nd unit.

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
He’s our Number 3? Please don’t tell me #2 is Carlo or broken down Chara. We could trade him for legit 2nd line winger, but he’s got tremendous value.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He’s our Number 3? Please don’t tell me #2 is Carlo or broken down Chara. We could trade him for legit 2nd line winger, but he’s got tremendous value.

Really could be subjective to where you see krug. He was 2nd in TOI per game but he was 4th in even strength TOI. He was also our most sheltered defensive zone situations but most offensive opportunities and produces.

Really an argument could be made for him in any direction depending what you feel the teams needs are.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It would be interesting to read/know

What individuals said about Chiarelli trading Boychuk - ostensibly their #2/3 d-man in the last year of his contract that was due to cut a long term big money deal on the heels of The Bruins coming off a great season and being a big part of their identity when The Cap was a few million less than expected.
vs.
What individuals are saying about Sweeney trading Krug - ostensibly their #2/3 d-man in the last year of his contract that is due to be cut a long term big money deal on the heels of The Bruins coming off a great season and being a big part of their identity when The Cap is a few million less than expected.

Reactions: ThomasJ13

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Krug was our best defenseman in the Finals

I believe he had only 4 or 5 points 5 0n 5 in the entire playoff run When a power play stats muncher is your best dmen in a cup final one would think your D core needs a complete overhaul

Just think for a minute about the guys Charlie and Z face game in game out. Without Chara ,Rask and Charlie the Bruins would have been finished early on.

Carlo had his shifts but was pretty average to me. Off topic, Z gets why to much crap around here yet Bergy looked like a 60 yo and gets a free pass.

The top two lines need a major shake up, the power play being so crazy good hide the fact that 5 on 5 this team would not or could not get to the high scoring areas of the ice.

I'm optimistic that the front office knows this and will make a major move before puck drop

Reactions: JOKER 192

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I gotten to like Krug. He is a feisty little dman who does seem to take 100 shots on net before he scored 1 .BUT. I'd trade him along with DK(always liked him) and Rask. One of them has to go either DK it Berg
They won't trade Berg so DK has gotto go .
Rask is 32 and will never win a cup as a starting goalie in Boston. He had his chances .
No use in keeping him and his value may be higher now than ever.
So trade Krug krejci Rask ...if for instance DK declines a potential trade ... Bruins are toast.
Pls bring in new wood .Thanks guys you've done good but it's time to think of the future .

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
He's clearly the second best defencemen on the team. Considering McAvoy's health issues, I think he is clearly indispensable.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I gotten to like Krug. He is a feisty little dman who does seem to take 100 shots on net before he scored 1 .BUT. I'd trade him along with DK(always liked him) and Rask. One of them has to go either DK it Berg
They won't trade Berg so DK has gotto go .
Rask is 32 and will never win a cup as a starting goalie in Boston. He had his chances .
No use in keeping him and his value may be higher now than ever.
So trade Krug krejci Rask ...if for instance DK declines a potential trade ... Bruins are toast.
Pls bring in new wood .Thanks guys you've done good but it's time to think of the future .

No. I see your setting up your next shtick though. "rebuild it all. TRAYDE everyone!!" Lmao

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Anyone around here who still thinks Krug and his agent is willing to take some Hometown discount around 6-6.5 mil per, well put it this way,with deals like this it has Krug licking his lips and his idea of a Hometown discount maybe 8-8.5 mil per

Samuel Girard - 4G 27P in 82GP

Reactions: Strafer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Krug isn't taking 6-6.5 per. Why would he? I would bet if the Bruins want to extend him, they offer more right out of the gate. At the same time, how do they afford him and McAvoy who is clearly angling for a big payday? Gryz is due for a raise after this coming season, and then you are going to have Lauzon, Zboril, Urho whover looking to get paid above their ELCs also. Give Krug and Chucky 8 mil+ each for several years? Is that affordable? Maybe, but is it smart?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Krug isn't taking 6-6.5 per. Why would he? I would bet if the Bruins want to extend him, they offer more right out of the gate. At the same time, how do they afford him and McAvoy who is clearly angling for a big payday? Gryz is due for a raise after this coming season, and then you are going to have Lauzon, Zboril, Urho whover looking to get paid above their ELCs also. Give Krug and Chucky 8 mil+ each for several years? Is that affordable? Maybe, but is it smart?

Too me for the betterment of the team its ideal to trade Krug. Their very deep at his position organizational wise and they would be dealing from a position of strength. His value will never be higher, he's highly coveted around the league and your not sure if your going to be able to re-sign him anyways.

I'd be putting flyers out-there to all the opposing GM's and see what you can reel in. If someone offers a deal that makes sense, you pull the trigger.

Reactions: Strafer and Dr Hook

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
The best thing for the team it to compete for a Stanley Cup in 19-20. To do that they need Torey Krug. For that fact alone the team should keep him. '

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Torey Krug’s next contract is more than likely his last as a professional hockey player. He owes the Bruins no discount to what he’s worth.

True.

But neither was Marchand who signed the best UFA contract in NHL.

If Krug likes it in Boston, he will take less than he would elsewhere for sure.

I would give him 42M/6y.

Hopefully, Sweeney knows what it will take and has already decided if he was willing to give him that.

Extend him or trade him.

I would extend him. What can’t happen is him leaving next summer. Unless they won the Cup. Only acceptable turn of events.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Anyone around here who still thinks Krug and his agent is willing to take some Hometown discount around 6-6.5 mil per, well put it this way,with deals like this it has Krug licking his lips and his idea of a Hometown discount maybe 8-8.5 mil per

Samuel Girard - 4G 27P in 82GP

Girard only had 5 less even strength points per game last year than Torey Krug. While Krug is definitely the much better offensive player. Not everyone in the league gets offensive opportunities that Krug does, such as nearly 4 minutes of power play time per game and 66% offensive zone starts.

Also you have to take into account Girard just played his age 20 season and his game is still growing. Not only that but Colorado will be paying him $5mil Into his prime.

Another factor is Krug becomes a free agent for his age 29 season. So if you are committing a long term deal to him. Those last couple years of his deal he will be past his prime and could be a David Backes type situation by the end of it.

Hard to compare two players who are at different points of their career. Girard has put up solid even strength numbers, but hasn’t been given the offensive opportunity Krug has been given yet. With Tyson Barrie gone Girard will be getting much more POwer Play time and will now be on the top unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad