Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You move Krug and you are doomed.

Why doomed? If you move Krug for a top 6 RW, then all you really need is for one of Gryz or McAvoy (or both) to step it up a bit on the PP and it's a win for the club. Certainly the Bruins won't lose anything in the defensive zone. At worst if he goes out for a top tier wing it is a wash.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why doomed? If you move Krug for a top 6 RW, then all you really need is for one of Gryz or McAvoy (or both) to step it up a bit on the PP and it's a win for the club. Certainly the Bruins won't lose anything in the defensive zone. At worst if he goes out for a top tier wing it is a wash.

Neither of those guys is remotely as good as Krug offensively or especially running a PP which is the bread and butter of this team

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I remember Krug saying he wanted to stay for market value.
6/40 is not market value.
Wish he would sign for 6/40, but I don't see it.
I’m not sure they go $7 M

We shall see

They got Vaakanainen and the 2015 draft twins in the wings

I’m hoping by 4th we here Krug for 6 at $6.75 per

With a Krug- Carlo second pair you are in great shape that’s high end

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
You move Krug and you are doomed.

Not Really, actually far from it.

Krugs a very good player but the Bruins have plenty of talent to overcome the lost of Krug and depending on Krugs contract demands it maybe best for the Bruins to move on from Krug.

The bruins are very deep on the blueline and they would be dealing from a position of strength at a time where that players value will never be higher. All things considered It actually makes a ton of sense, considering all the factors that lead up to it.

Krug is entering his FA season and the Bruins may not be able to afford him, his value is extremely high the Bruins have great depth on their defense and the possibility of Krug bringing back a top six forward is extremely high.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Neither of those guys is remotely as good as Krug offensively or especially running a PP which is the bread and butter of this team
McAvoy just needs the Chance. He's 21 and a ton of offensive skill, he'll do just fine.

Its not like the Bruins don't have other world class players like Marchand Pastrnak, Krejci and Bergeon to put on the PP. They'll be just fine.

If Krug can bring back a top Young center, you do it yesterday.

The bread and Butter of this team is its defensive strength as a team and its depth on defense.

I really don't see the fear of trading Krug because it may derail a PP with world Class players like Marchand, Pasta, Krejci, Bergeron and McAvoy on it. It makes no sense the Bruins just have way to much talent and Krug is going to bring back some high end talent as well. They will figure it out!

Its called dealing from a position of strength, now if Krug decides to sign for 6.5 or less, Id say keep him anything higher, let everyone know he's available and add some more minutes, because your phone will be ringing.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

We shall see

I think it's on Krug's hands, Bruins will make the best offer they can, it'll be up to Krug to accept it or not. The sooner Sweeney knows the better.

Reactions: TCB and DKH

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
McAvoy just needs the Chance. He's 21 and a ton of offensive skill, he'll do just fine.

Its not like the Bruins don't have other world class players like Marchand Pastrnak, Krejci and Bergeon to put on the PP. They'll be just fine.

If Krug can bring back a top Young center, you do it yesterday.

The bread and Butter of this team is its defensive strength as a team and its depth on defense.

I really don't see the fear of trading Krug because it may derail a PP with world Class players like Marchand, Pasta, Krejci, Bergeron and McAvoy on it. It makes no sense the Bruins just have way to much talent and Krug is going to bring back some high end talent as well. They will figure it out!

Its called dealing from a position of strength, now if Krug decides to sign for 6.5 or less, Id say keep him anything higher, let everyone know he's available and add some more minutes, because your phone will be ringing.

Maybe our world class players are world class in part to #47?

After Karlsson got 11 how in the world would you expect Krug to take 6.5? Maybe he loves it here, but I see a fall off with this team if he goes.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

We shall see

there's a lot of things in play here. first, the cap hit. how much is he getting? i think more
than $6.75M. second, the term. how long? i have to think his camp is gonna sit on 7 years
and not move off it. third, the lack of a NMC. with expansion coming, i would think he'd
be angling for a NMC. why sign now with the chance that he can be moving out when seattle
joins the league? no way i'd be giving out NMCs, but this isn't an easy negotiation. especially
at his age where he knows he'll cash in whether he stays or leaves. will be interesting to watch
unfold.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

After Karlsson got 11 how in the world would you expect Krug to take 6.5? Maybe he loves it here, but I see a fall off with this team if he goes.

Lou, do you agree that the gap between the defense corps without Krug is much less significant than the forward group without Johansson or someone similar?

I can live with:

McAvoy, Carlo, Chara, Grizz, Miller, Moore, Clifton, Vaak, Lauzon much more easily than what they currently have as a forward group.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Lou, do you agree that the gap between the defense corps without Krug is much less significant than the forward group without Johansson or someone similar?

I can live with:

McAvoy, Carlo, Chara, Grizz, Miller, Moore, Clifton, Vaak, Lauzon much more easily than what they currently have as a forward group.

I like Mojo but you can get them every deadline..Krug is special, he's one of the best passers and playmakers I have ever seen back there.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I think there are a lot of different ways to look at Krug and Bruins fans seem to vary. It's an interesting dilemma. End of the day I think DKH is right and Krug signs a team-friendly deal to stay. But if he wants $7M++ on a long-term deal, I'm on the phone. I would much rather see this team try to acquire a 2RW who's signed beyond one year than pay that kind of money to Torey Krug on a long-term deal. I cede that some folks give more weight to transition component and less to the defensive side and I see that argument, I just think the overall analysis tells me he's a higher risk at that kind of money/term. Durability is a question, and if the offense drops off as the legs age, he doesn't make up for it with defense, as a guy like Chara did, for example.

Reactions: Spooner st

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

No they aren't, but they can learn- McAvoy in particular will, I believe, grow into that role. If the return is a top 6 RW, then that guy goes on the powerplay presumably and lessens the loss of Krug. Better even strength scoring should come with that as well.

Reactions: Bodit9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If Boston can unload Backes somehow, we don't have the need to pinch pennies with Krug.

It's not solely about pinching pennies, but even with that, eventually the Bruins are out from under Backes- 2 seasons tops, and the you still have Krug at his 8.5-9 mil. So I guess the better question is this: is Krug the kind of player that you spend over 10% of your cap space on? He will want term. If you agree that he is that player right now, will he be that guy in 5 years at age 34? or beyond that?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

So someone got a brain fart and overpays for Karlsson... so now every single GM needs to overpay?
Bruins have a great team because of Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Krejci to an extent have great contracts.
You overpay like others do, Bruins don't even make the playoffs, no enough space on cap for quality players.
You give Krug 8,5/9m? Then we become the Leafs with a few high end contracts and not enough money to pay McAvoy, Carlo, top 6 RW...

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So someone got a brain fart and overpays for Karlsson... so now every single GM needs to overpay?
Bruins have a great team because of Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Krejci to an extent have great contracts.
You overpay like others do, Bruins don't even make the playoffs, no enough space on cap for quality players.
You give Krug 8,5/9m? Then we become the Leafs with a few high end contracts and not enough money to pay McAvoy, Carlo, top 6 RW...

I give him 7.5 easy. The Leafs are giving double digit contracts, not applicable.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
I certainly don't envy Sweeney having to make some of these decisions right now. However, he has to do what is best for the team. If that means pursuing the option of maximizing on Torey's value for a need elsewhere, then emotion cannot play a part in that. I'd hope they can work something out where it's fair for both parties involved. If not, gotta do what has to be done in a business sense.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I like Krug and he’s the key cog on the PP. but if he wants more than 7m per I’d be on the phone shopping him.

Isn’t he a Michigan kid? Maybe Yzerman could be persuaded to send Mantha to Boston in exchange. PP would take a hit, but Gryzlek is great in transition. Vaakaneinen is due to break the roster soon. Lauzon. If anything, a position of strength is LD.

But, IF Krug is okay signing 7m or less I sign him all day long.

Personally, I’d look to unload Krejci after a decent season. Coyle could hold down the 2C for now. Move Miller Nordstrom too. Maybe frees up some money for another center who doesn’t fold like a cheap suit in the playoffs

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Myriad of thoughts over rum and after reading the last couple pages

A) nice, measured post for @bp13
B) I do agree w the sentiment that other contracts as comparisons do drive up the cost
C) Dan/DKHs take is interesting and encouraging but due to point B, I do feel like Krug at 6.5-7 is leaving a lot on the table annually.
D) sounds like Charlie is going to bridge it? Obv, I think a long term deal is better but I understand the rationale of the player.
E) I think the Sanheims new contract sheds some light on what could be fair deals
F) can you get Carlo on a 3.75X5?

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
At a certain point don't you have to think that keeping Krejci at age 33-34 is going to cost you both Krug and Johansson and both are 28ish years old?

I've gone back and forth on who to trade, but after seeing the poor return for Trouba, I'd try to keep Krug.

Moving Krejci to keep Krug is making more and more sense. Krejci had a productive and healthy year but there is no guarantee that occurs next year (or the following season). His trade value is decent but if the Bruins keep him and he doesn't perform well, then you've got $13+ million in bad contracts for 2 years in Krejci and Backes.

Reactions: Spooner st
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad