Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Chuck is that you? Hayes is a nice player no doubt about it but he couldn`t push any current Bruins player out of the top 3 C role, sure wouldn`t be able to do that if he were a Blues player. Have a peek at the top teams in the league and ask honestly where he`d slide into

Some average teams he`d be a #2, teams with legit cup hopes I`ll place my bet on the fact that he`d be a 3 C at best

Haha, who's Chuck?

Top 3 C role? He's a better player than Coyle is. He won't push Krejci and obviously not Bergeron.

And you're right, he's a good to above average #2 center on a team with crappy center depth. And paying 7 mil is somewhat close to market value for that (I expected 6 to 6.5). The Flyers aren't paying him for his past accomplishments, like we did with Backes. They're paying him to be a #2C behind Couturier and provide secondary scoring along with great two way ability. I see absolutely nothing wrong with paying a 27 year old who is in his prime with a chance to improve his production by playing with better wingers, whether that's one or two of Voracek/Giroux/JVR.

False Start

May 8, 2018
so my fellow HF friend saying Hayes is over his head as a 2 C but is a quality 3 C on a deep team is now considered slanderous? Interesting. Tell ya what, of the teams out there who one would consider true cup contenders, tell me which of those he steps in immediately as the #2 C

Why are we arguing good teams vs bad teams.

There aren't enough good #2 centers for all 31 teams in this league anyway. Hayes just happens to be one of them.

I didn't like it when people said he couldn't cut it as a number 2 center because of his historical production. If you or your friend wanted to be more specific about his play level being more akin to a 3C on a good cup contending team, then you guys should have been more clear.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Over his head as a #2C? You couldn't be more far off.

1. You averaged his 5 year career numbers. This is a very poor indication of the level of play he is at currently. Last year at age 26, he averaged 18:17 per game, over 19 in NY and scored 55 points, most of which was on a very bad NYR team. He's also one of their first penalty killers and averaged 2 minutes a game short handed for the Rangers.

2. You compare him to Krejci who can legitimately play #1 center on some NHL teams. Krejci's 27 year old season was arguably at a top line center level (Tied for 19th in total scoring). By that guideline Hayes' 54 pt season (62 pts extrapolated to 82 games) places him at a very solid #2C level even with this years increase in scoring.

3. Clearly he didn't play well in WPG and was subsequently demoted to 4C. Sometimes trades just don't workout and the player doesn't fit.

So yes, color me surprised when people spew out bull**** numbers to slander Hayes' ability. He's a 50 point minimum, very good two way player, who also had the versatility of playing wing. His linemates for the most part during his most productive season were mediocre at best. He passes my eye test and is currently 27 years old and in his prime. With even slightly better teammates compared to Vesey/Buchnevich/Chytil, I expect him to possibly increase his production. All this in mind I expected his value to be around 6-6.5 million. Philly paid the extra bit to secure him before FA.

So, I take his career numbers, where he played on some good NY teams and with good players (which accounts for his lower TOI numbers) and I’m spewing BS to “slander Hayes ability”.

You cherry pick his numbers from this one year playing on a poor NY team (which resulted in his higher TOI) and they are supposed to be more “representative” of what he really is. He’s had one 50+ point season in 5 years as a pro, but his floor to you apparently is a very good 2 way 50 pt player?

Ok.

I’m guessing you must know him or the family in order to get this worked up about a good, not great, player that got overpaid by $1m + easy (I would say closer to $2m given the term).

I didn’t say Hayes was awful. I said he was a very good 3C. That’s what he did for the most part in WPG, averaging 15:17 TOI and 13 pts in 20 games (both right around his career averages). In the playoff, he only got 11:59 TOI per game.

However you want to slice it up, he’s not worth $50m over 7 years.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
It's pretty clear that Krug wants to stay in Boston and help carry the torch of leadership. And I can see a possible hometown discount, but AAV has got to be around 8 (minimum) to 10 million. Unless it's packed with tons of bonuses.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Why are we arguing good teams vs bad teams.

There aren't enough good #2 centers for all 31 teams in this league anyway. Hayes just happens to be one of them.

I didn't like it when people said he couldn't cut it as a number 2 center because of his historical production. If you or your friend wanted to be more specific about his play level being more akin to a 3C on a good cup contending team, then you guys should have been more clear.
couldn`t be more clear, he`s a good player being paid far more than he`s worth and I have yet to hear/read anyone who is around the game and knows what they are talking about say different, I was one who, around the deadline thought he`d make for a real nice 3rd line addition so it`s not as though I dislike the player, just think you have him in a category of skill and value that is over rated

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
6.5 mil per year an insult? Insult me, please :laugh: If Krug gets over 7 mil per and term like 6 or 7 years, then I hope the Bruins do insult him and he goes elsewhere.

Its not an insult by no means, but Krug and his agent knows he can get a few millon more on the open market.So it all depends on if he wants to settle for Jake Gardiner money to stay in Boston.

I mean if the starting price for jake Gardiner is that high it'll probably be around 10 mil for Krug which Im sure will come down somewhere between the 8 mil to 9 mil range and I would think Gardiner's will come down to the 4-5 mil range,but you never know when Free agency hits anyways Krug would be leaving a lot of money on the table if he did decide to stay in Boston for 6.5 mil over the course of a 5-8 year deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Its not an insult by no means, but Krug and his agent knows he can get a few millon more on the open market.So it all depends on if he wants to settle for Jake Gardiner money to stay in Boston.

I mean if the starting price for jake Gardiner is that high it'll probably be around 10 mil for Krug which Im sure will come down somewhere between the 8 mil to 9 mil range and I would think Gardiner's will come down to the 4-5 mil range,but you never know when Free agency hits anyways Krug would be leaving a lot of money on the table if he did decide to stay in Boston for 6.5 mil over the course of a 5-8 year deal.

Any GM who pays Jake Gardiner 7 million a season needs his head examined.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I want him to stay, but overpaying Krug with the term he will want will haunt the team like the Backes deal. Not right away but midway through a 6-8 year deal, ouch. It will be interesting to see what happens.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I want him to stay, but overpaying Krug with the term he will want will haunt the team like the Backes deal. Not right away but midway through a 6-8 year deal, ouch. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Not knowing what the cap is at for next year heading into draft weekend is crazy but typical NHL, and with McAvoy, Carlo, Debrusk and Heinen all needed to be signed for next year, this really puts Sweeney and all GM's, in what if scenarios.

If there is a strength the Bruins can afford to lose its Krug. I don't believe, all this talk that he wants to stay in Boston so he's willing to take 2 mil less per year contract. Im not saying that he doesn't want to stay a Bruin, but when your talking 10 mil or more during the length of a contract that can easily change a players mind that he could like it better elsewhere, in a hurry.

The Bruins have depth at defense and Krug is their biggest trading chip to improve their forwards woes. Its where a GM can't let his personal feelings or love for a player take over, it needs to be whats best for the team heading forward and it may be inevitable that Krug will be dealt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodit9 and sarge88

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Not knowing what the cap is at for next year heading into draft weekend is crazy but typical NHL, and with McAvoy, Carlo, Debrusk and Heinen all needed to be signed for next year, this really puts Sweeney and all GM's, in what if scenarios.

If there is a strength the Bruins can afford to lose its Krug. I don't believe, all this talk that he wants to stay in Boston so he's willing to take 2 mil less per year contract. Im not saying that he doesn't want to stay a Bruin, but when your talking 10 mil or more during the length of a contract that can easily change a players mind that he could like it better elsewhere, in a hurry.

The Bruins have depth at defense and Krug is their biggest trading chip to improve their forwards woes. Its where a GM can't let his personal feelings or love for a player take over, it needs to be whats best for the team heading forward and it may be inevitable that Krug will be dealt.

I can't help but think of what Belichick would do in this situation. This would probably mean Krug is out the door...lol. Time will tell.

Reactions: Bodit9 and TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

DeBrusk is actually an RFA in 2020.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I can't help but think of what Belichick would do in this situation. This would probably mean Krug is out the door...lol. Time will tell.

Too me for the betterment of the team its ideal to trade Krug. Their very deep at his position organizational wise and they would be dealing from a position of strength. His value will never be higher, he's highly coveted around the league and your not sure if your going to be able to re-sign him anyways.

I'd be putting flyers out-there to all the opposing GM's on draft day and see what you can reel in. If someone offers a deal that makes sense, you pull the trigger.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Benning is looking for an offensive defenseman, so maybe this is just a ploy in an attempt to attract some suitors, as apparently he has their first round pick 10th overall on the table.
GMs are begging for a lockout. 7 million for Gardiner even if he fills a need is terrifying.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Too me for the betterment of the team its ideal to trade Krug. Their very deep at his position organizational wise and they would be dealing from a position of strength. His value will never be higher, he's highly coveted around the league and your not sure if your going to be able to re-sign him anyways.

I'd be putting flyers out-there to all the opposing GM's on draft day and see what you can reel in. If someone offers a deal that makes sense, you pull the trigger.

I agree and I say that as a fan of Krug's game. This is still a business after all, emotions aside.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sure is.

Almost illogical, something doesn't add up. Kypreos is usually pretty good, but this one Im not buying.

For some reasons there are GMs/Coaches who really like what Gardiner brings. I've seen him play probably over 100 games of his career at least and for the life of me I can't figure out why they like this player.

He reminds me of that guy at rec hockey who everyone thinks is good because he looks smooth and skilled in warm-up, but once the puck drops his 10-cent head for the game is exposed.

Reactions: Spooner st and TCB

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I agree and I say that as a fan of Krug's game. This is still a business after all, emotions aside.

Agree.

Krug is also not the worst player to let walk for nothing you have Gryz and his current hit isn’t small if you lose him you can keep everyone else. Pretty certain a trade won’t return anything better than one year of Krug playing for his contract.

4 years 30 mil extension offered this summer is very fair and not too risky on our end.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Torey Krug wants to remain a Bruin — at the right price - The Boston Globe

Don Sweeney hasn’t ruled out dealing Torey Krug, but the Bruins general manager made clear in his end-of-season news conference last Monday that it would take a very enticing offer for him to wheel the club’s power-play quarterback and top-scoring defenseman.

Krug, about to enter the final year of a contract that carries a $5.25 million cap hit, has made it equally clear that he wants back with the Black and Gold. All with the understanding, of course, that he’ll be asking market rate. He has the leverage of being on course for unrestricted free agency July 1, 2020.

If Sweeney ultimately decides to deal, now is the time, with Krug’s asset value never higher and the Bruins still in need of help at the wing for No. 2 center David Krejci.

The most obvious suitor for Krug, a Michigander, would be the Red Wings, where Steve Yzerman is freshly charged with reviving the dusty franchise. The Wings need a jolt on their aging back line — led by Niklas Kronwall and Mike Green — and they have a bunch of talented young forwards, including 6-foot-5-inch right winger Anthony Mantha, who could entice Sweeney.

Reactions: sarge88

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It's pretty clear that Krug wants to stay in Boston and help carry the torch of leadership. And I can see a possible hometown discount, but AAV has got to be around 8 (minimum) to 10 million. Unless it's packed with tons of bonuses.

Bonuses.PNG

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So you load up a contract with bonuses- you still have to pay the piper. Surely Krug/agent wouldn't take short contract money for bonuses that were overly difficult to achieve? And if not, don't the bonuses apply to the cap the following season? If we are talking a 5-6+ year deal here, how is that saving much outside the first season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad