Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So you load up a contract with bonuses- you still have to pay the piper. Surely Krug/agent wouldn't take short contract money for bonuses that were overly difficult to achieve? And if not, don't the bonuses apply to the cap the following season? If we are talking a 5-6+ year deal here, how is that saving much outside the first season?

They are not eligible for bonuses. As I posted, the only players eligible for bonuses are:
- Entry Level Contracts
- 35+ 1 year contracts
- UFA players with 400 games experience who missed 100 days the prior season (1 year contracts)

And no, the bonuses don't carry over if you have space this year. Unless you are using LTIR. LTIR does NOT cover bonuses

Reactions: TCB and Dr Hook

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
As much as I love Krug I think it’s inevitable that he either gets traded or walks in FA. I’m not sure what his value is with only a year left on his contract but we should be able to get a good return on him. Having Gryz makes me feel much better about possibly losing Krug

Reactions: tremha

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Losing Krug puts us back into a playoff bubble team with round 2 upside.

But looking at the current cap situation and his likely contract, not sure moving him isn’t inevitable

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They are not eligible for bonuses. As I posted, the only players eligible for bonuses are:
- Entry Level Contracts
- 35+ 1 year contracts
- UFA players with 400 games experience who missed 100 days the prior season (1 year contracts)

And no, the bonuses don't carry over if you have space this year. Unless you are using LTIR. LTIR does NOT cover bonuses

Thanks Dom, as always :thumbu:

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I think KPD is smoking the good stuff now in Boston if he thinks Detroit will give up their #1C for Krug. Hell, if I were the Bruins GM I'd throw in a 1st and Frederic (who I like a lot) along with Krug for Larkin and be happy to know I have a succession at the top center position for the next decade locked down. I'd worry about finding a trading partner for Krejci after the ink dries on that deal.

A more realistic deal would be Mantha + 1st for Krug. The downside to this is Mantha will be looking for double the paycheck in a year and the Bruins will not be able to keep both him and Coyle unless they move Backes and Krejci both next season.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Losing Krug puts us back into a playoff bubble team with round 2 upside.

But looking at the current cap situation and his likely contract, not sure moving him isn’t inevitable

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

McAvoy will keep getting better as will Carlo,Grizz and Clifton and it will give a Vaak or Lauzon an opportunity to show what they can bring. There's still a lot of fire power, Tuukka's still in net and they will head into the season with the best group of 4 centers in the east.

Then you have the possibility if Krug is dealt he could bring back some immediate help and then Sweeney making another key deadline acquisition. You just never know.....

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

McAvoy will keep getting better as will Carlo,Grizz and Clifton and it will give a Vaak or Lauzon an opportunity to show what they can bring. There's still a lot of fire power, Tuukka's still in net and they will head into the season with the best group of 4 centers in the east.

Then you have the possibility if Krug is dealt he could bring back some immediate help and then Sweeney making another key deadline acquisition. You just never know.....

I think losing Krug stings next year a little bit, but if McAvoy is what we all think he is, and what the Bruins seem to think he is, then PP time is his and I think h will be fine growing into that role. Grizz is no slouch on the PP either and will get better with time. That is the area where I think losing Krug can be a little painful, but transitioning the puck, especially once we wave goodbye to Chara, will not be a problem with this defense corps.

Reactions: TCB

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I’m in the Krug signs long term under $7 M per

Book it

Dan I think you may be right here too. Just feels to me like he wants to be here and they like him beyond what he brings on the ice.

Now on the flip side of the coin, that’s probably less than what he could get on the free market next year, and if he wants “fair market value”, I 100% support trading him. I think McAvoy will be a solid PP QB with more ice time, and I feel that while we would miss Krugs offense, we would have better options for defensive play. So you lose a lot, yeah, but you gain a little too.

Anyway I agree...I feel another quality contract re-sign from Donnie.

Reactions: CellyHard

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think KPD is smoking the good stuff now in Boston if he thinks Detroit will give up their #1C for Krug. Hell, if I were the Bruins GM I'd throw in a 1st and Frederic (who I like a lot) along with Krug for Larkin and be happy to know I have a succession at the top center position for the next decade locked down. I'd worry about finding a trading partner for Krejci after the ink dries on that deal.

A more realistic deal would be Mantha + 1st for Krug. The downside to this is Mantha will be looking for double the paycheck in a year and the Bruins will not be able to keep both him and Coyle unless they move Backes and Krejci both next season.

Mantha/Athenasiou is one thing... Larkin is on a whole other level IMO. KPD seems to do that when speculating about potential trades. Usually in reverse, like lumping Pastrnak, DeBrusk, and Heinen together.

I think Mantha straight up is more than fair. Maybe a little add on Detroit's side. Age gap isn't that big. Krug is 28. Mantha turns 25 in a couple months. Could see both teams preferring to allocate that long term money at opposite positions.

Krug is at an in between age. I don't know if you can really go wrong. Whether they extend or trade. Has to be one or the other IMO. Do not want to push this decision to next year.

Reactions: 00BW

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I’m in the Krug signs long term under $7 M per

Book it

I agree because I think they will end up with a lot of cap space after next year. Unless we make to the Conf finals next year, I see Sweeney moving Rask for a good return one year before he turns UFA. Could see him asking Krejci to waive to do same.

I do think Sweeney waits until after the expansion draft to sign Krug so that we don't have to protect him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dan I think you may be right here too. Just feels to me like he wants to be here and they like him beyond what he brings on the ice.

Now on the flip side of the coin, that’s probably less than what he could get on the free market next year, and if he wants “fair market value”, I 100% support trading him. I think McAvoy will be a solid PP QB with more ice time, and I feel that while we would miss Krugs offense, we would have better options for defensive play. So you lose a lot, yeah, but you gain a little too.

Anyway I agree...I feel another quality contract re-sign from Donnie.
I’m curious what will be different from this moment to mid afternoon July 4th when the grills get fired up

Maybe nothing maybe a lot

I would hope we get good news on a few guys

Krug understands the situation and what’s going on around the league

If he wants to play here he’s not maxing out

They put $40 M for 6 years with NMC I don’t see him passing

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
As much as I love Krug I think it’s inevitable that he either gets traded or walks in FA. I’m not sure what his value is with only a year left on his contract but we should be able to get a good return on him. Having Gryz makes me feel much better about possibly losing Krug

I think we could forge ahead steadily with a left side of Gryz, Vak and Lauzon. Puck movers and mobility with solid D.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
love Krug. But I would have made him expendable if we could have gotten PK for a similar deal the Devils got him for.

Just about the only scenario I would have dealt him

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Besides the fact that Subban is an upgrade, you’re right.

The Bruins aren’t going to take on a 9m defensemen.

Doesn’t change the fact that I personally would, and could easily find a way to make the money work.

Lol no. Krug over Subban all day, every day.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I just think they have to move him. I've said it all year, and I'm saying it now. He had a great playoffs, looked better in the defensive zone for sure, but I just don't think it's prudent to extend him at 5+ years and 7+mil. Maximize the return for him by moving him now after his stellar playoff run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad