Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It does sort of feel to me that their end will be about the same- when the dynamism starts to wane, Krug I think *will* start looking like the Liles we had here for two seasons. Not a terrible player, but not one worth the money he will be commanding after signing a long term deal. I could see doing Krug 4-5 years, but past that and I think there is a real risk. Then again, players all age differently and it's possible that Krug plays at this level till 35.

I am trying to think of another smallish offensive d-man that maintained his performance past the early 30s and am coming up with nothing. Can you think of any?

Oh don't get me wrong, I expect Krug's production to start to tail off as he approaches his mid-30s. I just don't see many similarities to him and Liles. There is risk now anytime you sign a guy into his age 33-34-35-36 seasons. My biggest concern with Krug is his wheels. As dynamic as he is offensively, he isn't even the skater Liles was (Liles was a heck of skater in his prime, very smooth). But he trumps Liles in all other offensive aspects of the game.

As for an example I can't think of any. But we also didn't have many D-men Krug's size up until about 5 years ago so maybe that's why it's difficult to find a comparison.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I see Krug as a Pastrnak-level player. Unless Krug wants to give the team a huge discount, his salary should start with 7. Anything less would be an insult to Torey. Especially after his terrific playoffs at both ends of the ice

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I see Krug as a Pastrnak-level player. Unless Krug wants to give the team a huge discount, his salary should start with 7. Anything less would be an insult to Torey. Especially after his terrific playoffs at both ends of the ice

6.5 mil per year an insult? Insult me, please :laugh: If Krug gets over 7 mil per and term like 6 or 7 years, then I hope the Bruins do insult him and he goes elsewhere.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
6.5 mil per year an insult? Insult me, please :laugh: If Krug gets over 7 mil per and term like 6 or 7 years, then I hope the Bruins do insult him and he goes elsewhere.

Are you aware of what other players are getting these days? Nylander, Kevin Hayes, etc. etc.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Are you aware of what other players are getting these days? Nylander, Kevin Hayes, etc. etc.

Of course I am. Hayes is overpaid. 7x7 for 45 pt 3C? Nylander, well, he was worth it wasn't he? Just because other teams are willing to do silly contracts doesn't mean the Bruins should. I really like Krug a lot and want him to stay, but I don't want to see the team shackled by a bad contract either. Especially not when the Bruins have the defensive depth they have.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Of course I am. Hayes is overpaid. 7x7 for 45 pt 3C? Nylander, well, he was worth it wasn't he? Just because other teams are willing to do silly contracts doesn't mean the Bruins should. I really like Krug a lot and want him to stay, but I don't want to see the team shackled by a bad contract either. Especially not when the Bruins have the defensive depth they have.

Do people honestly just look at Hayes' career points total and label him a 3C?

He's absolutely a #2C. Shutdown, playmaking stud with good size. He's only making 1 mil more than Backes and he's a million times the player. The Flyers are paying him banking on him to improve his production even a little bit. And I believe he will if he plays a full season with some solid teammates.

Makes you wonder what Coyle is going to get. 5.5 mil? Hayes is about that much better than Coyle I suppose.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

He's absolutely a #2C. Shutdown, playmaking stud with good size. He's only making 1 mil more than Backes and he's a million times the player. The Flyers are paying him banking on him to improve his production even a little bit. And I believe he will if he plays a full season with some solid teammates.

Makes you wonder what Coyle is going to get. 5.5 mil? Hayes is about that much better than Coyle I suppose.

If he played in Boston he's a 3c. Stud is overdoing it a bit but Fine if Philly wants to give him 7x7 and taking that 7 mil cap hit when he's 36 years old. Backes was a comparable when we signed him and that turned out wonderfully for us.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

That's just it, we as a Bruins fan want whats best for the Bruins and T.Krug signing an extension for 6 - 6.5 mil per would be real nice and may happen but I wouldn't bet on it. Krug and his agent are more than aware that his value would be a lot higher on the open market.

Money usually does the talking in these circumstances. All the talk about Karlsson wife wanting to go back closer to her home in Ottawa, well 11.5 mil per helped cure her from being home sick.

Sweeney biggest trade chip to fix his top six woes is Krug. After coming off of a great playoffs and the Bruins organizational depth at his position and depending on what Krugs camp wants, Sweeney may have no other choice to trade Krug now, as his value will never be higher.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

"shutdown"....zero career Selke votes
"play making"...career high 36 assists, only 0.36 apg career
"good size"...Jimmy had good size too, doesnt matter when you dont use it, career high hits is 59, PIM is 30

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't think 500k should be the boiling point for contract talks. I would hope they would sign him if that is how far apart they are.

False Start

May 8, 2018
If he played in Boston he's a 3c. Stud is overdoing it a bit but Fine if Philly wants to give him 7x7 and taking that 7 mil cap hit when he's 36 years old. Backes was a comparable when we signed him and that turned out wonderfully for us.

He's 27 and paying for him to possibly be a 50+ pt center in his prime is much different than paying a declining 30 year old Backes 6 mil for 5 years.

"shutdown"....zero career Selke votes
"play making"...career high 36 assists, only 0.36 apg career
"good size"...Jimmy had good size too, doesnt matter when you dont use it, career high hits is 59, PIM is 30

You clearly don't watch this player and have a very poor evaluation of him.

Carry on.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's 27 and paying for him to possibly be a 50+ pt center in his prime is much different than paying a declining 30 year old Backes 6 mil for 5 years.

Maybe so- I don't think Backes was in any real sort of decline when we signed him. Clearly the Bruins and Blues didn't think so either since both tendered him offers to return with the only real difference IIRC being the term. If you like Kevin Hays at 7x7, okay. I am glad we didn't pay that for him, and I didn't like Backes at 6m either, though I did like the player. I am not sure that this really relates to Krug in any way as Backes/Hayes or whoever are not comparables for him.

What is your larger point, that you are good with giving Krug 8 or 9 mil on his next deal, or are you just thinking that is what he is going to get?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't think 500k should be the boiling point for contract talks. I would hope they would sign him if that is how far apart they are.

No, I don't think it should be either, but we've seen teams in the past walk away for half a mil difference. I am more thinking about the idea that he is going to get 7.5-8 or more because of the "market." If it gets that high, do you want him back at that, with the term that will undoubtedly be attached? And again, I am not anti-Krug at all. I really like the player a lot and want him to stay.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Maybe so- I don't think Backes was in any real sort of decline when we signed him. Clearly the Bruins and Blues didn't think so either since both tendered him offers to return with the only real difference IIRC being the term. If you like Kevin Hays at 7x7, okay. I am glad we didn't pay that for him, and I didn't like Backes at 6m either, though I did like the player. I am not sure that this really relates to Krug in any way as Backes/Hayes or whoever are not comparables for him.

What is your larger point, that you are good with giving Krug 8 or 9 mil on his next deal, or are you just thinking that is what he is going to get?

My main point was to respond to you about Hayes. Either way we didn't need a 6-7 mil center on this team.

With regards to Krug, he should evaluate his priorities, whether or not that extra 5-8 million dollars affects his life in the grand scheme of things. If he and his wife don't want to uproot their lives from Boston he can sign a team friendly deal like you said for 6-6.5 million.

If he wants to go elsewhere to maximize his earnings, I don't blame him one bit. This is his chance for a the biggest contract in his life. If he wants to stay in Boston he will not be making that much money and will have to take a team friendly deal. So in that sense I do agree with you.

Reactions: Dr Hook

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
It would be nice if Krug signs a team friendly deal, but at the end of the day, I don't mind paying a little bit of a premium for a player that steps up like he does when it matters.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
That's just it, we as a Bruins fan want whats best for the Bruins and T.Krug signing an extension for 6 - 6.5 mil per would be real nice and may happen but I wouldn't bet on it. Krug and his agent are more than aware that his value would be a lot higher on the open market.

Money usually does the talking in these circumstances. All the talk about Karlsson wife wanting to go back closer to her home in Ottawa, well 11.5 mil per helped cure her from being home sick.

Sweeney biggest trade chip to fix his top six woes is Krug. After coming off of a great playoffs and the Bruins organizational depth at his position and depending on what Krugs camp wants, Sweeney may have no other choice to trade Krug now, as his value will never be higher.

Bruins have some organization deep on the blueline. Trading Krug to Detroit for Filip Zadina might be a good fit for a 2nd line RW.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

You must be talking about a different Kevin Hayes than the one I watch? He’s over his head as a #2C, but a quality 3C on a deep team. WPG had him as the 4C at times.

For his career, he’s .60 ppg (49 pts over 82 games), averaging 15:44 TOI and is 45% on faceoffs. Compare him to a legit #2 like David Krejci at age 27 and the numbers aren’t even close.

Not worth anywhere near $7m regardless of what Backes is getting paid.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Krug is their best trade chip at his highest value dealing from a position of strength for a top six forward which they've desperately lacked. I love Krug as a player but this team needs to improve their top 6. I don't want to pay Krug a huge contract because of his size, his average speed, & defensive struggles. Belichick would pull the trigger on a trade, whatever is best for the team, nothing personal. And this would be the best time to trade him.

Reactions: Estlin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Chuck is that you? Hayes is a nice player no doubt about it but he couldn`t push any current Bruins player out of the top 3 C role, sure wouldn`t be able to do that if he were a Blues player. Have a peek at the top teams in the league and ask honestly where he`d slide into

Some average teams he`d be a #2, teams with legit cup hopes I`ll place my bet on the fact that he`d be a 3 C at best

False Start

May 8, 2018
You must be talking about a different Kevin Hayes than the one I watch? He’s over his head as a #2C, but a quality 3C on a deep team. WPG had him as the 4C at times.

For his career, he’s .60 ppg (49 pts over 82 games), averaging 15:44 TOI and is 45% on faceoffs. Compare him to a legit #2 like David Krejci at age 27 and the numbers aren’t even close.

Not worth anywhere near $7m regardless of what Backes is getting paid.

Over his head as a #2C? You couldn't be more far off.

1. You averaged his 5 year career numbers. This is a very poor indication of the level of play he is at currently. Last year at age 26, he averaged 18:17 per game, over 19 in NY and scored 55 points, most of which was on a very bad NYR team. He's also one of their first penalty killers and averaged 2 minutes a game short handed for the Rangers.

2. You compare him to Krejci who can legitimately play #1 center on some NHL teams. Krejci's 27 year old season was arguably at a top line center level (Tied for 19th in total scoring). By that guideline Hayes' 54 pt season (62 pts extrapolated to 82 games) places him at a very solid #2C level even with this years increase in scoring.

3. Clearly he didn't play well in WPG and was subsequently demoted to 4C. Sometimes trades just don't workout and the player doesn't fit.

So yes, color me surprised when people spew out bullshit numbers to slander Hayes' ability. He's a 50 point minimum, very good two way player, who also had the versatility of playing wing. His linemates for the most part during his most productive season were mediocre at best. He passes my eye test and is currently 27 years old and in his prime. With even slightly better teammates compared to Vesey/Buchnevich/Chytil, I expect him to possibly increase his production. All this in mind I expected his value to be around 6-6.5 million. Philly paid the extra bit to secure him before FA.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Over his head as a #2C? You couldn't be more far off.

1. You averaged his 5 year career numbers. This is a very poor indication of the level of play he is at currently. Last year at age 26, he averaged 18:17 per game, over 19 in NY and scored 55 points, most of which was on a very bad NYR team. He's also one of their first penalty killers and averaged 2 minutes a game short handed for the Rangers.

2. You compare him to Krejci who can legitimately play #1 center on some NHL teams. Krejci's 27 year old season was arguably at a top line center level (Tied for 19th in total scoring). By that guideline Hayes' 54 pt season (62 pts extrapolated to 82 games) places him at a very solid #2C level even with this years increase in scoring.

3. Clearly he didn't play well in WPG and was subsequently demoted to 4C. Sometimes trades just don't workout and the player doesn't fit.

So yes, color me surprised when people spew out bull**** numbers to slander Hayes' ability. He's a 50 point minimum, very good two way player, who also had the versatility of playing wing. His linemates for the most part during his most productive season were mediocre at best. He passes my eye test and is currently 27 years old and in his prime. With even slightly better teammates compared to Vesey/Buchnevich/Chytil, I expect him to possibly increase his production. All this in mind I expected his value to be around 6-6.5 million. Philly paid the extra bit to secure him before FA.
so my fellow HF friend saying Hayes is over his head as a 2 C but is a quality 3 C on a deep team is now considered slanderous? Interesting. Tell ya what, of the teams out there who one would consider true cup contenders, tell me which of those he steps in immediately as the #2 C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca