Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Someone posted it on the first page and is 100 % bang on.

The Bruins can't have 2 defensemen in their top 6 who are 5' 9".

So realistically one of them has to go and I say Krug because you will get more bang for your buck in the return.

I really enjoyed his playoffs this year and I do believe he stepped up but for every good play where I found myself saying, damn that was awesome, there were 2 that I was screaming at him. Personally I can live with those mistakes by McAvoy and Carlo, they are still young but not Krug.

If this team is going to compete against Tampa and the Leafs and others then they need more help up front. Krejci has been waiting 2 years now for a proper RWer and that could of helped this year.

I`d be more on board moving Grizz long before Krug

Reactions: Alan Ryan

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don't think I argued otherwise.

Just not buying the case that Krug is a problem defensively.

No, you didn't , but if you analyze that carefully it can be argued he's bottom tier.

So most would agree both MacCavoy and Chara are better despite those numbers.
Carlo and Gryz are ahead, that's four ahead of him making him at best 5th defensively.
Not to mention that he benefits from playing with arguably the best shut down D on the team which prop his numbers.
Kevan Miller is better than Krug defensively IMO.
That leaves Moore who may not be better but he's not worse either and at least has size on his side.
Krug may not be a problem, that is arguable, but let's slot him in his proper place.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Krug will have his problems in his own zone from time to time but more than makes up for it at the other end of the rink.

Are we sure this is true 5 on 5? I mean he's a minus player his last 300 career games. Coincidentally lining up right when they started playing him over 20 minutes a night.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The Bruins have been one of the best 5v5 teams defensively for a long time. This season only San Jose was better IIRC.

In my opinion, it would be nice if Krug was a defensive stud, but his PP presence more than makes up for it. The Bruins won a cup with a terrible power play, but I don't think lightning will strike twice. People forget, the best defence is playing in the offensive zone. I think trading Krug and getting someone who is more defensively sound might actually make this team worse defensively, because Krug is a game changer offensively.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The Bruins have been one of the best 5v5 teams defensively for a long time. This season only San Jose was better IIRC.

In my opinion, it would be nice if Krug was a defensive stud, but his PP presence more than makes up for it. The Bruins won a cup with a terrible power play, but I don't think lightning will strike twice. People forget, the best defence is playing in the offensive zone. I think trading Krug and getting someone who is more defensively sound might actually make this team worse defensively, because Krug is a game changer offensively.

Actually it did , St. Louis won a cup with a horrible PP too.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

With Krug's offensive output, IF he were also a defensive stud, he'd be a 10+ million player. Other defensemen with his offensive output get paid a lot. If he was also defensively elite as well, he'd be a superstar.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Why are you basing it on Karlsson's contract when just about everybody posters and pundits think that is an insane contract that SJ will regret.

Every top D will now gun for that 11M range that Doughty-Karlsson established. That’s the mark.

Carlson got 8M last year.

Krug as UFA next year easily get that. He’s elite and many teams lack his type of skills.

If he wants to stay on the Bruins, he will have to accept less than that tough.

42M/6y

Do it Don

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
With Krug's offensive output, IF he were also a defensive stud, he'd be a 10+ million player. Other defensemen with his offensive output get paid a lot. If he was also defensively elite as well, he'd be a superstar.
5/36 M will sign Krug . 7.1 and some change will do it. The bruins aren’t going near the 9/10 million. Doesn’t matter what player signed for or the team he signed on with.... I’m also sure Krug understands he has a year left on his contract as well. If he balks and he could. The team will make a choice. I guess. If he don’t sign now he won’t next year either.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Every top D will now gun for that 11M range that Doughty-Karlsson established. That’s the mark.

Carlson got 8M last year.

Krug as UFA next year easily get that. He’s elite and many teams lack his type of skills.

If he wants to stay on the Bruins, he will have to accept less than that tough.

42M/6y

Do it Don

All that is probably true, hence why I think he should be traded. It may be what the market dictates but it's more than he is worth hence trade. If you can get fair value,use as TDL acquisition but with all the LD prospects the Bruins have lined up, I spend that money else where and give Mac his spot on the PP.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Krug rules. Can’t/shouldn’t afford him after next year. Only time they can trade him is now. Can’t move an important piece off of a contending team in season. I’m not saying they should trade him. I’m saying if someone makes a very good offer that helps the bruins now and past next season it should be explored. Basically I’m saying what Sweeney said. He’s available for an awesome deal. Hes not being moved just because he’s gone in a year.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Are we sure this is true 5 on 5? I mean he's a minus player his last 300 career games. Coincidentally lining up right when they started playing him over 20 minutes a night.

The first year he averaged more than 20 minutes (21:37 in 15-16) he was a +9. The year before he was +13 averaging 19:36. In 16-17 he was -10 while averaging 21:36.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Krug rules. Can’t/shouldn’t afford him after next year. Only time they can trade him is now. Can’t move an important piece off of a contending team in season. I’m not saying they should trade him. I’m saying if someone makes a very good offer that helps the bruins now and past next season it should be explored. Basically I’m saying what Sweeney said. He’s available for an awesome deal. Hes not being moved just because he’s gone in a year.

Why is it, "Can't/shouldn't afford him after next year"?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What about between 6.25-7M?

I would say 6.5 is fair market value for Krug and fair in the context of the team salary structure. He is a great offensive defenseman and a mediocre defender. A comparable might possibly be John Carlson, but he is overpaid at 8 per.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
When talking about do you give Krug an extension or trade him, one name keeps popping into my head.

John Michael Liles.

Liles was such a good offensive D with Colorado and similar size as Krug. He got paid at age 30 by Toronto and he lost it. Fast. My worry is more the term than the money. I’d be willing to go more per year to keep the term down. I understand his importance to this team. But you can’t pay everyone and I would say he is the best trade chip they have to improve the top 6. Krug at 34,35,36 years of age could be real scary looking.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When talking about do you give Krug an extension or trade him, one name keeps popping into my head.

John Michael Liles.

Liles was such a good offensive D with Colorado and similar size as Krug. He got paid at age 30 by Toronto and he lost it. Fast. My worry is more the term than the money. I’d be willing to go more per year to keep the term down. I understand his importance to this team. But you can’t pay everyone and I would say he is the best trade chip they have to improve the top 6. Krug at 34,35,36 years of age could be real scary looking.

Krug is among the Top 5 offensive D-men in the league. An elite player for what he does.

Liles was never to an elite player. I don't see much in the way of similarities between Krug and Liles in terms of their overall games and styles. Krug is far more dynamic.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Get assets for him now. Build a team that doesnt reply on the PP for its offence. Krug 5 0n 5 is nothing special and what he will be looking to get paid on his next contract?

Lets see what DS is capable of and make a blockbuster

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

5 on 5 he is a +23 since 2015.
Even Strength he is a +20.

A lot of the minus comes from the SH goals, some are his fault, but not all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Krugs biggest problem is that the playoffs, especially the Stanley cup finals get officiated differently than the regular season.

So when less penalties are called especially in the blues series krug gets exposed. He had that exceptional 4 point game but at the end The areas he excels in were taken away from him.

The Bruins had 3.08 PPs per game in the playoffs and 3.06 PPs per game in the regular season.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Worth remembering that Seidenberg and Beleskey come off of the cap at the end of this year - that’s a little over 3 mil more in space they can work with.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What about 6.68?

To echo a couple in here - the foolish money thrown at Karlsson and the relative scraps that Winnipeg got for Trouba make signing Krug to a deal that's in line with the team's structure the clear way to go. If it means giving him an extra year or two then it's worth it. The other options just aren't so shiny.

Yup. I was open to listening for sure.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Krug is among the Top 5 offensive D-men in the league. An elite player for what he does.

Liles was never to an elite player. I don't see much in the way of similarities between Krug and Liles in terms of their overall games and styles. Krug is far more dynamic.

It does sort of feel to me that their end will be about the same- when the dynamism starts to wane, Krug I think *will* start looking like the Liles we had here for two seasons. Not a terrible player, but not one worth the money he will be commanding after signing a long term deal. I could see doing Krug 4-5 years, but past that and I think there is a real risk. Then again, players all age differently and it's possible that Krug plays at this level till 35.

I am trying to think of another smallish offensive d-man that maintained his performance past the early 30s and am coming up with nothing. Can you think of any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->