Player Discussion Torey Krug IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ahhhh yessss. Disqualify stats that work against your argument. Works every time in this board. :laugh:

So if a goalie saves 43 of 45 shots and another goalie saves 19 of 20. Who in your mind had a better game?

First goalie saves a higher percentage of shots, but his team clearly played way worse in front of him and allowed more shots against. First goalie will lose the game, have higher Goals against average, but have the better save percentage.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t see the bruins as a top 10 defense. Chara- mcavoy are legit #1’s. However I have Krug, Carlo, Moore, miller and McQuaid all grading out as 3rd pairing defenders.

Our defense gets helped out a lot by having one of the best goaltenders of all time in Tuukka Rask and having great defensive forwards like bergy helping them out. Give our defense an average goalie and average defensive forwards and they would get exposed a lot more.
I agree on the D. Mcavoy and Chara are better than average, but after that things look a little shaky. Carlo, for example, could be captain of the all-overrated team. He's simply not that good.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Good enough to average over 20 minutes a night over his 1st two seasons on a top 5 team in GA and wins over that time.
So because he plays 20 mins per night he's a good player? I'd credit the goaltenders more with the GA, but you can give Carlo all the credit if you wish. :laugh:

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Krug and Grzelcyk are two different players. The Bruins defense looked great in the regular season but had some issues in the playoffs. Grzelcyk was a rookie and looked great in the regular season again being exposed in the playoffs but he was a rookie. I really don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to keep them both. Love Krug’s offence and his attitude or leadership is great. Karlsson’s defense is no better than Krug’s if it is even as good but he certainly is a superior skater, obviously. I, like others, don’t know the direction Sweeney is going after the acquisition of Moore but I think moving Krug is a mistake.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
So because he plays 20 mins per night he's a good player? I'd credit the goaltenders more with the GA, but you can give Carlo all the credit if you wish. :laugh:

Absolutely. Good players play more than bad players and the best players on a good team are always better than the best players on bad teams. Also Players, especially dmen, that can play big minutes on good teams at ages 20-21 are usually good players and have potential to become much better. Here to help.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Absolutely. Good players play more than bad players and the best players on a good team are always better than the best players on bad teams. Also Players, especially dmen, that can play big minutes on good teams at ages 20-21 are usually good players and have potential to become much better. Here to help.
I hope he gets better. To me, he's very overrated by this board. He was called out by Cam for playing too soft. Hopefully it scares him into competing for a change.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope he gets better. To me, he's very overrated by this board. He was called out by Cam for playing too soft. Hopefully it scares him into competing for a change.

I think your vastly underrating how difficult it is to not only break into the NHL at age 19 as a D-man, but to then play in the Top 4 for two consecutive playoff qualifying teams.

You think he can do that without competing? Give me a break.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What kind of return would make sense for Boston in moving Krug this offseason?

Second line RH shot RW who is under team control for a few years. Ideally someone who has some sie and grit including to being a 20+ goal guy.

Other alternative is Krug + going somewhere and a better 2 way defenseman in return

Basically it makes no sense for the Bruins to deal him, unless they get substantially better in a different area

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Not too many 60 point no. 5 defencemen in the NHL these days.

He faces 3rd pairing quality of competition and was put in defensive situations the 2nd least among all defenders in the nhl last season.

Attachments

• 68B69395-5956-457A-A5DE-A94AA4AF1F43.jpeg
    68B69395-5956-457A-A5DE-A94AA4AF1F43.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
My take on why Krug is still here is that he's overpaid for what he brings and the other GMs know it. Yes he scores a lot of goals but on most teams he'd be a handicap. Just my opinion so don't freak out.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My take on why Krug is still here is that he's overpaid for what he brings and the other GMs know it. Yes he scores a lot of goals but on most teams he'd be a handicap. Just my opinion so don't freak out.

His peers, guys like Shattenkirk and Yandle, who are also limited players who's value is tied to their offensive contribution, have both his FA in recent years, and have received contracts bigger than Krug. He is a top 10 in the league scoring defenseman

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I think your vastly underrating how difficult it is to not only break into the NHL at age 19 as a D-man, but to then play in the Top 4 for two consecutive playoff qualifying teams.

You think he can do that without competing? Give me a break.
Maybe you should talk to Cam? He's the one who said he plays too soft and needs to compete.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Maybe you should talk to Cam? He's the one who said he plays too soft and needs to compete.

Anyone that watched him the last 2-3 months or so of the regular season saw him do just that. Can he improve even more in that area? Sure. But let's not pretend he didn't already start making big strides there.

Reactions: hrdpuk

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Anyone that watched him the last 2-3 months or so of the regular season saw him do just that. Can he improve even more in that area? Sure. But let's not pretend he didn't already start making big strides there.

Is being on the ice for the most goals on the team in the playoffs and goalies having the worst save percentage among defenders while on the ice considered making big strides?

I have no problem with keeping Krug on this team, but would much prefer him to be in a 3rd pairing role and get a couple minutes less 5v5. Unless it’s in situations where the bruins are down a goal or two in a game and we need offense to get back into the game. Would really like to see him play a little less in situations where we are protecting leads. Hopefully that’s where we can plug in Moore and he can step up.

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Is being on the ice for the most goals on the team in the playoffs and goalies having the worst save percentage among defenders while on the ice considered making big strides?

No. We veered off a bit. This back and forth is about Carlo, not Krug.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

I have no problem with keeping Krug on this team, but would much prefer him to be in a 3rd pairing role and get a couple minutes less 5v5. Unless it’s in situations where the bruins are down a goal or two in a game and we need offense to get back into the game. Would really like to see him play a little less in situations where we are protecting leads. Hopefully that’s where we can plug in Moore and he can step up.

I'd say scoring 12 points while the other 5 combined to score 13 points counts for something

as does scoring more points than anyone not named Bergeron, Marchand or Pastrnak

and dont act like he was far and away the worst either.

Krug - 16 GA
Chara - 14 GA
Miller - 13 GA
McQuaid - 12 GA
McAvoy - 10 GA

funny thing is, only 1 of those guys was playing without his normal partner and had to play with someone slotted above their ability level...

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'd say scoring 12 points while the other 5 combined to score 13 points counts for something

as does scoring more points than anyone not named Bergeron, Marchand or Pastrnak

and dont act like he was far and away the worst either.

Krug - 16 GA
Chara - 14 GA
Miller - 13 GA
McQuaid - 12 GA
McAvoy - 10 GA

funny thing is, only 1 of those guys was playing without his normal partner and had to play with someone slotted above their ability level...

Those goals against you just posted are in all situations, including penalty kill goals against.

- 7 of 14 goals against chara came on the penalty kill
- 7 of 12 goals against for Mcquaid came on the penalty kill
- 2 of 13 goals against Miller came on the penalty kill.

0/16 goals against for Krug came on the penalty kill.

So Krug not having to play on the penalty kill while the others do seriously distorts their goals against stat that you posted.

Also even though Krug missed an entire game he still had more power play minutes than any other player on the team and 7 of his 12 points came on the power play. Also seriously distorting his points totals compared to other players.

It’s no coincidence the four players you mentioned with the most points also had the most power play minutes in Krug, Marchand, bergy and pasta. Weird how the guys with the most offensive opportunities got the most points.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Defenders goals against, excluding penalty kill goals against:

Krug: 16
Chara: 7
Miller: 11
Mcquaid: 5
Mcavoy: 10
Gryz: 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad