Player Discussion Torey Krug IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'm well aware of how the contract lines-up and why its attractive to other teams. Still the point is, he's in most ACGM's because people want to move him.

I’ve put him in trade talk on the trade thread. Not because I want him off the team, but because he is the most moveable contract on the team that can also most easily match with salaries of other players. Not a fan of him as a 2nd pairing guy but would love for him to stick around as a 3rd pairing guy, but also willing to move him for a 2nd line winger or part of a bigger package for chakras replacement. Bergy, Marchand and pasta aren’t going anywhere. Krug can get you a better haul at this point than an aging Krejci and backes who also have less desirable contracts from a $$ and length of contract standpoint.

Bruins are also going to be in a relative cap crunch next year so acquiring a 2nd line winger (which most trade proposals seem to be centered around) would have to be reciprocated with roughly Krugs contract. So bruins aren’t in a position to go after a 2nd line winger type guy with only prospects on ELC’s.

Also bruins LHD already has 4 guys in chara, Krug, Moore and gryz. With a solid 2-3 LHD prospects waiting to come up in the near future. So it’s a relative position of depth the bruins would be trading from.

It’s not that people want Krug out just to get him off the team. It’s just that Krug is the most viable trade option to fill acquire a 2nd line winger right now. Or even to acquire a chara replacement.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Also bruins LHD already has 4 guys in chara, Krug, Moore and gryz. With a solid 2-3 LHD prospects waiting to come up in the near future. So it’s a relative position of depth the bruins would be trading from.

Strongly disagree. So if we subtract Krug.......aside from Chara this year, there's nobody on that list I want taking up regular top 4 minutes over the next few years......and what if there's an injury to Chara (highly likely given his age, mileage, etc)? Subtract Krug and Chara and what is left? A guy or two who could maybe step in to the top 4 for a few regular season games and a handful of 3rd pairing guys. I wouldn't exactly call that a position of depth.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Strongly disagree. So if we subtract Krug.......aside from Chara this year, there's nobody on that list I want taking up regular top 4 minutes over the next few years......and what if there's an injury to Chara (highly likely given his age, mileage, etc)? Subtract Krug and Chara and what is left? A guy or two who could maybe step in to the top 4 for a few regular season games and a handful of 3rd pairing guys. I wouldn't exactly call that a position of depth.

If chara goes down this team is screwed anyways. With or without Krug here we aren’t going far into the playoffs without chara. Krug struggled defensively during the regular season against 3rd pairing quality of competition. If he is forced to move up Incase of a chara injury this season is already lost.

Not only did he struggle in the regular season defensively he was awful defensively in the playoffs. He was on the ice for more goals than any other defender on the bruins and when Krug got injured he was on the ice for more goals against than any player in the entire nhl in the playoffs up until his injury.

We can play hypotheticals for injuries all day, but assuming chara is healthy next season having chara/Moore/gryz isn’t bad if it comes with bringing in someone like panarin to sure up the 2nd line

Below is a graph of Krugs quality of competition and zone starts compared to all other defenders in the league. He played against the quality of competition that a 3rd pair defender usually does

Attachments

• 99C6B904-30DF-4D0E-94BA-822625D588EB.jpeg
    99C6B904-30DF-4D0E-94BA-822625D588EB.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I’ve put him in trade talk on the trade thread. Not because I want him off the team, but because he is the most moveable contract on the team that can also most easily match with salaries of other players. Not a fan of him as a 2nd pairing guy but would love for him to stick around as a 3rd pairing guy, but also willing to move him for a 2nd line winger or part of a bigger package for chakras replacement. Bergy, Marchand and pasta aren’t going anywhere. Krug can get you a better haul at this point than an aging Krejci and backes who also have less desirable contracts from a $$ and length of contract standpoint.

Bruins are also going to be in a relative cap crunch next year so acquiring a 2nd line winger (which most trade proposals seem to be centered around) would have to be reciprocated with roughly Krugs contract. So bruins aren’t in a position to go after a 2nd line winger type guy with only prospects on ELC’s.

It’s not that people want Krug out just to get him off the team. It’s just that Krug is the most viable trade option to fill acquire a 2nd line winger right now. Or even to acquire a chara replacement.

You realize you're not telling me anything I don't already know, right? What I do know too though is Krug was s*** on a lot during the playoffs and off-season by fans. Just because you see it from one perspective doesn't mean everyone else does too. I've seen people say they wanted him traded (not necessarily on here) because he's not good defensively and he's too small.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You realize you're not telling me anything I don't already know, right? What I do know too though is Krug was s*** on a lot during the playoffs and off-season by fans. Just because you see it from one perspective doesn't mean everyone else does too. I've seen people say they wanted him traded (not necessarily on here) because he's not good defensively and he's too small.

I mean when you are on the ice for more goals against than any other player on the team in the playoffs, fans are going to call you out. Cam Neely certainly didn’t help put out the fire by saying Krug looked slow and that the bruins need to get bigger this offseason on the left side of the defense.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I mean when you are on the ice for more goals against than any other player on the team in the playoffs, fans are going to call you out. Cam Neely certainly didn’t help put out the fire by saying Krug looked slow and that the bruins need to get bigger this offseason on the left side of the defense.

Do you even remember how this whole discussion started? You replied to my quote that said:

Krug is that kind of player B's fans screamed about for years, a OFD that could score from the backend. Now that we have one people complain that his defense isn't good enough. If/when he's gone, the shift will happen again and those who complained about him will be screaming for a OFD that can put up points.

So we've gone full circle just to have you say "when you are on the ice for more goals against than any other player on the team in the playoffs, fans are going to call you out."

So what are we really talking about then? You know what, nevermind. I'm not really to interested in continuing this discussion with you.

Reactions: hoss75

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Do you even remember how this whole discussion started? You replied to my quote that said:

Krug is that kind of player B's fans screamed about for years, a OFD that could score from the backend. Now that we have one people complain that his defense isn't good enough. If/when he's gone, the shift will happen again and those who complained about him will be screaming for a OFD that can put up points.

So we've gone full circle just to have you say "when you are on the ice for more goals against than any other player on the team in the playoffs, fans are going to call you out."

So what are we really talking about then? You know what, nevermind. I'm not really to interested in continuing this discussion with you.

Yes and I replied to it about how I don’t think people want him gone because you said people were complaining his defense wasn’t good enough. I said people just want him in a 3rd pairing role, but also I could understand why he would be moved because his contract is moveable and he is overmatched as a 3rd pairing defender in his own defensive end.

Saying that I don’t want him moved, but also that I would understand why he is in trade talks and giving evidence for why he is involved in trade talks isn’t off topic at all from your first post at all. Just supporting the notion why people complain about his defense.

Not sure why you are confused about what we are talking about.

Also FWIW you can say if/when they move on from Krug that fans will be screaming for an offensive defender, but mcavoy, gryz and even someone like Lauzon in the prospect depths can help bridge that gap. We certainly didn’t have anyone like mcavoy before Krug came either. Not even sure if we had someone like gryz. That defense before Krug was full of stay at home defenders and no puck moving defenders. Best trait a couple of them had was a nice shot from the point.

Reactions: hrdpuk

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes and I replied to it about how I don’t think people want him gone because you said people were complaining his defense wasn’t good enough. I said people just want him in a 3rd pairing role, but also I could understand why he would be moved because his contract is moveable and he is overmatched as a 3rd pairing defender in his own defensive end.

Saying that I don’t want him moved, but also that I would understand why he is in trade talks and giving evidence for why he is involved in trade talks isn’t off topic at all from your first post at all. Just supporting the notion why people complain about his defense.

Not sure why you are confused about what we are talking about.

Also FWIW you can say if/when they move on from Krug that fans will be screaming for an offensive defender, but mcavoy, gryz and even someone like Lauzon in the prospect depths can help bridge that gap. We certainly didn’t have anyone like mcavoy before Krug came either. Not even sure if we had someone like gryz. That defense before Krug was full of stay at home defenders and no puck moving defenders. Best trait a couple of them had was a nice shot from the point.

lots to like about your post, not sure I see much offensive production coming down the road from Grizz. While a case could be made that Lauzon is a guy who could be a point producer, seems like he`s a ways from a full time NHL roster spot for now.

Can this team survive and still be in the conversation to be a contender without Krug? Sure they can, but things will be much different on the back end having removed a guy who almost posted 60 pts .

He`s got his defensive warts but the advantage this team has now is opponents will need to be aware of both Krug and CM, take Krug outta there and who on the back end forces one bit of focus for opponents to be weary of outside of Charlie?

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

Krug is that kind of player B's fans screamed about for years, a OFD that could score from the backend. Now that we have one people complain that his defense isn't good enough.

People want a unicorn. Some magical 1-2 defenseman that can score and move the puck and with a friendly contract.

Reactions: DKH

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Krug is one of my favorite players, and looks great out there on the ice when the D corps is a healthy group. Just when injuries occur and he has to step up against teams #1 or 2 lines he gets puahed around and exposed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People want a unicorn. Some magical 1-2 defenseman that can score and move the puck and with a friendly contract.

I think the concern is that he's going to get #1D level or close money when he hits UFA and is he really worth that.
I pay that to a player who's worth it but not for a guy who's at his best on the 2nd pair.

Krug and his next contract is a tough one, the last thing Sweeney should do is to see him walk for free.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like Chara has is unique

The D composition is very well put together

McAvoy is well rounded

The others all have atleast one important area they are plus

Healthy I been told top five 1-8. Not sure I agree but certainly top 10.

As with all teams Health is important

The 10 that make up the Bruins goalies and defense scanning rosters though is inarguably the best in hockey

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Like Chara has is unique

The D composition is very well put together

McAvoy is well rounded

The others all have atleast one important area they are plus

Healthy I been told top five 1-8. Not sure I agree but certainly top 10.

As with all teams Health is important

The 10 that make up the Bruins goalies and defense scanning rosters though is inarguably the best in hockey

Chara -- McAvoy
Krug -- Carlo
Moore -- Miller
Grzelcyk -- McQuaid

I'd say that's a Top 10 D-core, easily. Their #7/8 (whether it's Moore or Grzelyck) is a solid bottom pair on a a number of teams.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chara -- McAvoy
Krug -- Carlo
Moore -- Miller
Grzelcyk -- McQuaid

I'd say that's a Top 10 D-core, easily. Their #7/8 (whether it's Moore or Grzelyck) is a solid bottom pair on a a number of teams.
The Bruins picked up Reggie Lemelin later in his career and he became the perfect compliment to Andy Moog.

The Bruins defense top 4 is top 5-10

The Bruins top 8 is top 1-2

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don’t see the bruins as a top 10 defense. Chara- mcavoy are legit #1’s. However I have Krug, Carlo, Moore, miller and McQuaid all grading out as 3rd pairing defenders.

Our defense gets helped out a lot by having one of the best goaltenders of all time in Tuukka Rask and having great defensive forwards like bergy helping them out. Give our defense an average goalie and average defensive forwards and they would get exposed a lot more.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I don’t see the bruins as a top 10 defense. Chara- mcavoy are legit #1’s. However I have Krug, Carlo, Moore, miller and McQuaid all grading out as 3rd pairing defenders.

Our defense gets helped out a lot by having one of the best goaltenders of all time in Tuukka Rask and having great defensive forwards like bergy helping them out. Give our defense an average goalie and average defensive forwards and they would get exposed a lot more.

Now I am a huge Rask fan but you lost me on this one.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I suggest you look at the rest of the all time stats for goalies before you just pick one to try to prove your point.

Like what?

Win%- flawed stats dependent on a good offense

Goals against average- flawed based on how many shots your defense allows on you per game.

When it comes down to it, Tuukka has saved the 2nd highest percentage of shots against ever. Of course there’s other factors such as goalie pads increasing in size but also players stick are much better in today’s hockey and can shoot much harder as well.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Like what?

Goals against average- flawed based on how many shots your defense allows on you per game.

When it comes down to it, Tuukka has saved the 2nd highest percentage of shots against ever. Of course there’s other factors such as goalie pads increasing in size but also players stick are much better in today’s hockey and can shoot much harder as well.
Ahhhh yessss. Disqualify stats that work against your argument. Works every time in this board. :laugh:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Is my site just messed up or has this gone from a Krug thread to a Rask thread lol. How did Rask even come into this thread lol

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Like what?

Active goalies are all over the all time save percentage leaderboard. It's one thing to use his position there and call him one of the best goalies in the league today. I would agree with that whole-heartedly. But to call him among the best all time based on his save percentage is pretty wild

Reactions: UncleRico
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad