Player Discussion Torey Krug IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
We've also faced some of the worst teams in the league to start the season lol...

Buffalo, Ottawa, Edmonton and Detroit

^ I would hope without Krug we'd beat all those teams because they are all teams expected to miss the playoffs and a few are even favorites for worst record in the NHL.

That group of 4 may have the best Vegas odds as being picks 1-4 this year

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
We've also faced some of the worst teams in the league to start the season lol...

Buffalo, Ottawa, Edmonton and Detroit

^ I would hope without Krug we'd beat all those teams because they are all teams expected to miss the playoffs and a few are even favorites for worst record in the NHL.

Thats a strong point. It also crossed my but forgot to mention it. It really would be interesting to see how they would do. The think with Krug is that we also have Gryz. They are very similar with Gryz still lacking his shot and passing ability but being already stronger in some parts. In a dreamworld with no salary cap I would tend keep him but this isnt and so you have think about doing the best for the team.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Thats a strong point. It also crossed my but forgot to mention it. It really would be interesting to see how they would do. The think with Krug is that we also have Gryz. They are very similar with Gryz still lacking his shot and passing ability but being already stronger in some parts. In a dreamworld with no salary cap I would tend keep him but this isnt and so you have think about doing the best for the team.

When we're talking about the PP though, wouldn't shooting/passing ability hold more weight then defensive ability?

I like Grz as our #3LD. I'm not sure how he fits long term with guys like Vaak, Zboril, Lauzon all in the system, but I hope he sticks. I imagine 2 of the 3 prospect listed will being NHL regulars for Boston while the 3rd is moved via trade.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Krug has played 5 full regular seasons with the Bruins

From 2013-14- until now

In the last 5 years overall

The bruins are 3rd in the NHL with a 21.4% PP

Only behind Washington and Pittsburgh

The 3 years before Krug arrived

Bruins averaged 17.8% which was 18th in the NHL

In the last 5 years Krug has the 7th most PP points among Defensemen

He has 30 points less the Karlsson who Leads the league in PPP but has had 500 less PP minutes

Krug is as elite as they come on the PP as a D man he is currently almost untouchable in forms of a replacement as a PP QB only people that could give you what Krug gives you is

Karlsson
Burns
Shattenkirk
Subban
Carlson
Letang

Let’s pump the brakes on trade Krug or sit him when he’s healthy lol

He is an absolute weapon to this team

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I know this isn't a Carlo thread but since he's being brought into it...

Carlo is probably the most underrated player on the Bruins . He's a top 4 D man on any team and will only get better . He's basically a rookie playing top minutes on a top team.

What would it take to replace him and at what cost ? How many top 4 D men are available? His cap hit is under 1 mil and he's 21, 6'5" 203 lbs . he's every gm's dream player.

To trade him would be the worst move possible

203 at 6'5 is pretty anemic though?

Reactions: hrdpuk

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
If he can land us a high end RW or a solid middle six center we will be a much stronger team right now and going forward.

I would hope that a top scoring defenceman who is often ranked as a top 20 defenceman in the NHL would land us more than a "middle six" centre, or even an average second line centre. If we're trading Krug I want to get back someone with high end talent, not Derrick Brassard.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Not necessarily. Say you trade Krug for Duchene signed long term at $6.25M, it would make the team cap hit more for this season. Next summer Krejci and Backes’s NTC’s disappear and you could move Krejci and have Duchene play 2C behind Bergeron. Hopefully Backes can be traded and a prospect plays 3C. In the long run it could save money.
Not necessarily. Say you trade Krug for Duchene signed long term at $6.25M, it would make the team cap hit more for this season. Next summer Krejci and Backes’s NTC’s disappear and you could move Krejci and have Duchene play 2C behind Bergeron. Hopefully Backes can be traded and a prospect plays 3C. In the long run it could save money.

I love Krug, but I would consider trading him for a signed Duchene. Duchene does have high end talent and plays with pace. He'd be a nice upgrade on Krejci.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
he must not be watching. I take this to mean that he dreads being asked to waive and would not trade easily.

Translation of Krug's statement: McAvoy is not in my league offensively or as a PP quarterback. Which is correct.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
203 at 6'5 is pretty anemic though?

He's slender, yep. He's also 21. I was a bit slimmer at 21 myself :laugh:. Let's see where he fills out too in the next 2-3 years. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to add 10-15 pounds without losing any mobility.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I would hope that a top scoring defenceman who is often ranked as a top 20 defenceman in the NHL would land us more than a "middle six" centre, or even an average second line centre. If we're trading Krug I want to get back someone with high end talent, not Derrick Brassard.
I was thinking either a young guy with a lot of upside or a very good second line center because that is what he is worth. Duchene whom you mentioned is exactly the kind of guy I was thinking of a solid 2nd line center with some upside.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I mean he may have helped but their problems are having 2nd and 3rd lines not contributing.

Krug sparks the offensive from the backend we don’t have enough skilled transitioning D in the lineup currently he will make our fowards better

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
He's slender, yep. He's also 21. I was a bit slimmer at 21 myself :laugh:. Let's see where he fills out too in the next 2-3 years. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to add 10-15 pounds without losing any mobility.

It's a good bet he will get to 215 or 220, most players do fill out that much, but some may not? I think Hamilton is still only listed at 210 - that's real wiry for 6'6?

Reactions: Dr Hook

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Trade the offensive D for offensive help. Genius.

or just keep things as they are going and be content to score 1.33 goals per game with him doing his thing for us

hes quite a nice addition to a team that is going well... someone that clearly has pp skills. and hes good at making smart passes. but clearly hes not an erik karlsson type dman that is going to take over a game and create offense if no one else is helping him

hes part of a bigger picture and he gets a lot of his offense from other guys excelling. how often do we see him create offense that a lesser dman wouldn't be able to? is he good for 10 points a season that we wouldn't expect another guy to put up in the same opportunities?

and how many goals does he cost us that another dman would likely play better?

3? 5? 8? 12?

I don't know what you all feel about this equation... do you give him credit for more points? do you not blame him for this many?

if he does have trade value {and I feel he does because theres a lot of people out there who think this guy walks on water... then we should at least hear what the offers are}

after all... defense is clearly not our weakest position now. our kids have been playing nhl caliber hockey.

Reactions: Strafer

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
He is your offensive help. Where do you think the offense starts. This is the worst time to trade him if any.
The drop in offense from him to the other D is far less than the potential increase in offense a top 6 forward could provide when obtained in a trade for Krug. Krug is simply our most valuable tradeable piece (a guy like Bergeron is more valuable but would hurt us more to lose him than a potential trade piece could help)

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Its time to field offers and trade Krug for offensive help

I would but only because I don’t think the Bruins want to sign him to a &6.5-$7.5 million dollar per year deal in two offseasons considering his defensive inefficiencies. Great on the powerplay but seriously struggles to defend his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad