Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] TOR acquire Riley Nash for Conditional. 7th Pick in 2022

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The Leafs got goalie'd in last year's playoffs. It's as simple as that. The Blue Jackets didn't win because their defense was good, they won because their goalies bailed them out. The fact that it was a shortened 5 game series only played into that level of randomness. Either way the Leafs are a new team playing a much more fluent system

I think that's too simple an analysis, but I will give it some credence.

Let's not forget, Leafs were down 3-0 and then did the unthinkable with their goalie pulled. If they don't pull that rabbit out of the hat, they lose 3 games to 1. In a year in which they needed to show some progress and a weaker, far lower Cap spending team.

Bottom line: what if they get "goalied" again this post-season? At what point do we look at players and say "you don't have it in you to get it done when the chips are down"? They were shut out twice in five games. The Blue Jackets used two different goalies. Their team defense was superior. As most playoff winning teams usually are.

I fully expect this team to at least make the Final Four. They are more mature, focused, close as a team and better prepared to succeed. If they pay attention to the defensive details in particular, they should find some success. The moves made over the next two days could bolster their chances.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They put Andersen on LTIR in order to fit Nash. We have $750k in LTIR room to work with. Unless you’re on the conspiracy crew that says Andersen is secretly done for the season.
Did they get a day grace? Because from what I have read they got Nash on Friday and put Andersen on LTIR on Saturday. And for sure Andersen is done. He's on Robidas now waiting for a new team. I've said that for awhile, it goes with my we arent really looking for a forward theory and have been looking for a goalie all along. lol

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Like he's as useless defensivelying as any player in hockey.

What's worse is that despite his great shot, the style of offense he plays actually makes his team play low percentage offense when on the ice. So unless that shot is going in at a very high rate he's kinda making his team worse even offensively much of the time.
All you done was read some numbers likely and the numbers are kicking a man when he’s down but you roll with that.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I dont know what you are going on about but Laine is terrible everywhere outside of his shot. He doesnt play D, doesnt create offensively, isnt physical. He provides nothing outside of being a trigger guy that needs a setup man.
Button your shirt up, your heart is showing. Defend Nylander’s 87 hits over his “Career” for me after you called Laine out for not being physical. Laine has 50 goals more than him in less games. See the hypocrisy in your like for Willy. I’d take Laine over Nylander before you could spit

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeBird

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Did they get a day grace? Because from what I have read they got Nash on Friday and put Andersen on LTIR on Saturday. And for sure Andersen is done. He's on Robidas now waiting for a new team. I've said that for awhile, it goes with my we arent really looking for a forward theory and have been looking for a goalie all along. lol
from what I read... they brought up a few players to get as close to the cap as possible... put Anderson on LTIR to make room for Nash as he has to go on the roster and be cap compliant, then they put him on LTIR.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Capfriendly just didn’t update until Saturday because they didn’t know the transactions were made.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Watch him play man. It's not pretty.
Watch Nylander play man. It’s not pretty. 87 hits over a 6 year career is Nylander’s total. That’s as gross as you will ever see. Laine scored 50 goals more than him in less games over that period too. Go find some obscure numbers to defend Willy now

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Happy to take on Laine as a project when he is whittled down to a near-league-min contract and starts to realize he'll be out of this league unless he starts to forecheck.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sure is. Now there's a man that actually dominates and transitions the puck. The absolute opposite of Laine.
Laine had 97 hits in one season. 10 more than Nylanders 6 year career.So dominating Keefe’s first move was to get Matthews away from him

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Happy to take on Laine as a project when he is whittled down to a near-league-min contract and starts to realize he'll be out of this league unless he starts to forecheck.
I’ll be the first to let you know Laine is retiring in 10 or 11 years. He’ll probably have 500 goals then too. Be awesome to get a scorer like that on a league minimum contract for sure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Right, let’s focus on one stat and not the fact that the guy cant make it work on now his second team.
I’m just saying bud. Podium was quick to bask Laine as soft ha. So figured I’d just say Laine had more hits 97 in one year than Nylander has in his entire 6 year career.
How about we focus on Laine has 50 goals more in less games and 1 less year than Nylander then. Lets try that one

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Laine gets a lot of hits because he never has the puck and he's too lazy to stop. If he wasn't a soft player, he'd be the first into the corners to battle for pucks. That way he'd have the puck more and you can't hit if the you're first into the corner.

Reactions: stickty111

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Y
Laine gets a lot of hits because he never has the puck and he's too lazy to stop. If he wasn't a soft player, he'd be the first into the corners to battle for pucks. That way he'd have the puck more and you can't hit if the you're first into the corner.
our brain is to lazy to stop man

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What is the stupidity of people saying that if the Leafs have try to acquire someone to fill a need, teams will make them pay more. Like WTF??

So all those trades that happened so far were by teams that didn't have any needs, and weren't trying to bolster their lineups? The lack of logic on this board is astounding - but entirely expected. :propeller

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Watch Nylander play man. It’s not pretty. 87 hits over a 6 year career is Nylander’s total. That’s as gross as you will ever see. Laine scored 50 goals more than him in less games over that period too. Go find some obscure numbers to defend Willy now
Nylander is very effective on the forecheck and is tough on the puck. We'd all like to see him be more consistent, but he is an ideal second line winger.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Oh because stick checks and fly by’s are more significantly acceptable right
If a guy passed the puck, or chipped it off the boards and you hit him. It has nothing to do with the puck or where it’s going it has to do with getting a hit. To which you can still be soft on the puck (when you have possession, or when you’re battling someone for possession).

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad