Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] TOR acquire Riley Nash for Conditional. 7th Pick in 2022

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Fair analysis.
My worries are
1) on the top line does his shoot first mentality throw off the balance of that line? A shooter will look to get into position for the shot whereas a pure forechecker like Hyman disrupts the defensive setup and allows the shooter to find spots easier.
2) as you said his spurts of improv. Whereas mariners improv is withing the line chemistry, Hall as as a shooter might create disharmony in that line.
Seeing Galy on that line last night though makes me think it could work, but then I also think adding Hall to the 3rd line would seriously tilt favor of matchups in out favor and allow him to regain some confidence playing against lesser compitition

Your worries are spot on.

I have a feeling Dubas just wants to give Keefe a weapon up front that can be used on any line he deems fit. The concerns of Hall not adapting are legitimate and that's where the remaining regular-season games become important. They will have to test different ideas to make sure he gels properly.

I can see the logic for all three lines assuming Hall goes back to his regular form. That's a big assumption of course :laugh:.

1. On the first line, it gives Marner two targets as a playmaker allowing Matthews more space as defenders back off a bit to cover Hall.
2. On the second line, Hall and Nylander's skating allows Tavares more open space while acting as a playmaker.
3. On the third line, as you said, the goal is to overwhelm the other team's weakest defenders with a player of Hall's caliber (once again assuming he goes back to his original form).

It's a risk and the onus wouldn't only be on Keefe to fit Hall in. He also has to come with an open mindset to adapt rather than winging it.

This is why the price has to be fair for it to make sense because it's not the same as getting a Forsberg who is proven in the playoffs and can fit in easily.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Me too (thinking Nash is that type and a shrewd move)....and this is a Nash thread, so thanks for turning this back there. As for what we add next, and I believe we will...I think we need to focus on fit, both in the room and in the line-up and I think we need motivated guys that add to our compete-level...Nash is this. Hall is hopefully this.
I think Dubas is in that mind set too, he seems to look at the fit for the club first, which is amazing, instead of the optics of making a big splash, which of course he's done but still keeping the team first mentality.
I'm just not sold on Hall. He's been bad for years now and I'm concerned he is what he is now.
That said we managed to revive Galt so maybe they have seen a deficiency in Hall they can fix?

Reactions: conFABulator

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Would you find it weird if Kucherov is miraculously back exactly in time for Game 1 of the playoffs?

No, a doctor that said he'll reasonably miss the regular season. And likely enough for the league to go along with them not having to leave a Kucherov-sized hole in their cap just in case.

I would find it weird if a team commits their cap space to not being able to activate a guy who is effectively day-to-day. I suspect the league would find that weird, too.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Your worries are spot on.

I have a feeling Dubas just wants to give Keefe a weapon up front that can be used on any line he deems fit. The concerns of Hall not adapting are legitimate and that's where the remaining regular-season games become important. They will have to test different ideas to make sure he gels properly.

I can see the logic for all three lines assuming Hall goes back to his regular form. That's a big assumption of course :laugh:.

1. On the first line, it gives Marner two targets as a playmaker allowing Matthews more space as defenders back off a bit to cover Hall.
2. On the second line, Hall and Nylander's skating allows Tavares more open space while acting as a playmaker.
3. On the third line, as you said, the goal is to overwhelm the other team's weakest defenders with a player of Hall's caliber (once again assuming he goes back to his original form).

It's a risk and the onus wouldn't only be on Keefe to fit Hall in. He also has to come with an open mindset to adapt rather than winging it.

This is why the price has to be fair for it to make sense because it's not the same as getting a Forsberg who is proven in the playoffs and can fit in easily.
Forsberg or Foligno would be great gets IMHO and a better fit than Hall.
That said if the big if we're to happen, adding Hall would be a game changer, but as stated a few times Big IF

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would you find it weird if Kucherov is miraculously back exactly in time for Game 1 of the playoffs?

Pretty sure Tampa already announced this as their plan and the league is on board with it. Call it 'circumvention' but not having a former 128 point scorer just so you can keep Yanni Gourde and friends around is a hell of a way to cheat the system.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
There are mountains of evidence regarding activating players off LTIR only when convenient. Not to mention with soft tissue injuries there is always a vague timeline and nothing quantifiable that a doctor can use to say the player is ready to go. This isnt a broken bone where a doctor knows 4-6 weeks always. With that said, Andersen might actually be out the rest of the season.

There is no evidence for a team to over-commit their cap on someone who didn't have something like a season-ending surgery or an acute injury. I don't think you could find one player that has gone from nagging day-to-day to having insufficient cap space to activate.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
There is obligation to take him off. If he is fit to play, you are obligated to activate him off LTIR.
i don't think you are paying attention

Keefe told us clearly , that Fred is still hurt and "time" won't fully heal this

that clearly means we can ltir him any way we chose or not to

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The paper transactions will be done for the final time today at noon and we will see the trades happen in the timeframe right up to deadline. 1 day matters for paper moves. Might happen today but likely not until afternoon tomorrow before we see the teams final trades.
Tomorrow is not a off day so whatever they do today is final moves before deadline
Suspect goalie depth,defense depth. Other than that likely who knows.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Forsberg or Foligno would be great gets IMHO and a better fit than Hall.
That said if the big if we're to happen, adding Hall would be a game changer, but as stated a few times Big IF
Boone Jenner would be even better and drag Laine out of there with him on a block buster.
That’s what i had set up in my sh!t game and the G.M dummied me last minute

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Boone Jenner would be even better and drag Laine out of there with him on a block buster.
That’s what i had set up in my sh!t game and the G.M dummied me last minute
Jenner would be good too, not sold on Liane. He doesn't seem to fit the game strategy the team is buying into

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Is Jenner not out for the season with injury? Or is there a chance he's back in time for playoffs as well?

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Yet we had to trade 2nds for similar players in Boyle and Plekanec.

Boyle a beast but Plekanec wasn't even close to Nash defensive game. I think those trades started but without those guys if we won and we didn't they could have been helpful. You never ever go in to the playoffs saying well if we only play a round thats cool. You have already lost in that respect.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
There is no evidence for a team to over-commit their cap on someone who didn't have something like a season-ending surgery or an acute injury. I don't think you could find one player that has gone from nagging day-to-day to having insufficient cap space to activate.

Kane in Chicago a few years ago, was out for the remainder of the season then poof like magic he recovered and was playing in game one of their 1st round series.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Kane in Chicago a few years ago, was out for the remainder of the season then poof like magic he recovered and was playing in game one of their 1st round series.

I still don't know what you're trying to say. I've covered a lot on why I'm not including Andersen in our available cap space for the TDL. Feel free to read those and come up with something more contextual.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Honestly it sounds sexy but not a fan. He seems like a dressing room killer and as for what he will bring on the ice away from the puck, I doubt it fits what we need or want
Ohhh I don’t know. Two best young scorers in the game with one of the league’s premier passers. Powerplay threats both sides yikes. Don’t know whats not to like. They brought Gally back from the dead focusing on his mental aspect of himself. Could do that with Laine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad