Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] TOR acquire Riley Nash for Conditional. 7th Pick in 2022

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ohhh I don’t know. Two best young scorers in the game with one of the league’s premier passers. Powerplay threats both sides yikes. Don’t know whats not to like. They brought Gally back from the dead focusing on his mental aspect of himself. Could do that with Laine
Could do that but it's still an if. Galy was brought back by adjusting his skating and stick use and not adjusting his attitude and style of play.
Never been sold on Liane so I'm biased here, but will stick by my gut in it.
But I do agree on paper it's very sexy, but paper doesn't always translate on the ice.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I think Dubas is in that mind set too, he seems to look at the fit for the club first, which is amazing, instead of the optics of making a big splash, which of course he's done but still keeping the team first mentality.
I'm just not sold on Hall. He's been bad for years now and I'm concerned he is what he is now.
That said we managed to revive Galt so maybe they have seen a deficiency in Hall they can fix?

Surely there are other options though which are less sexy but accomplish the same.

Solid, stronger character types around our top stars have improved their confidence and effort to play both ends. These same types can help keep them on track in a long playoff run that must be expected.

Bottom line: don't slip up and become too happy with success now as it's going to get much tougher. More flash isn't needed, nor one way players.

With Gally, he works very hard and is a bit ornery. Those are the types that come through in the crunch. I didn't know he has a bit of bite when he is on the ice just in terms of battling and not backing down.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Surely there are other options though which are less sexy but accomplish the same.

Solid, stronger character types around our top stars have improved their confidence and effort to play both ends. These same types can help keep them on track in a long playoff run that must be expected.

Bottom line: don't slip up and become too happy with success now as it's going to get much tougher. More flash isn't needed, nor one way players.

With Gally, he works very hard and is a bit ornery. Those are the types that come through in the crunch. I didn't know he has a bit of bite when he is on the ice just in terms of battling and not backing down.
I'm 100% in agreement with this. We need to be tougher to play against and not just look sexy and try to out score every team

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafsfan74

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Honestly it sounds sexy but not a fan. He seems like a dressing room killer and as for what he will bring on the ice away from the puck, I doubt it fits what we need or want

He's a guy a teams like the Sabres picks up to try and get in during the regular season, I don't see Hall as the guy you add for a clear playoff/Cup threat team.

If we.didn't have offensive threats, maybe. We have that, we need responsible, serious players who want to win at all costs.

Have fun doing it, but do it. During a more demanding game that is the NHL playoffs.

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
You get 4 million

That's why Dubas called up Marincin and Hutchinson.

He got within $12K of the max. cap

So when he put Andersen on LTIR we got the full $5 million minus $12K

Then he put Nash on LTIR.

So if Andersen doesn't come back we have $5 million - $12K + 2.75M (from Nash)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Could do that but it's still an if. Galy was brought back by adjusting his skating and stick use and not adjusting his attitude and style of play.
Never been sold on Liane so I'm biased here, but will stick by my gut in it.
But I do agree on paper it's very sexy, but paper doesn't always translate on the ice.
I didn’t see it as sexy. More as well rounded. Laine has picked his defensive game up considerably. Hasn’t found that fine line yet between offense/defense. Much improvement in his game. This was a year from hell i bet he would rather forget

Reactions: The Cobra

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm 100% in agreement with this. We need to be tougher to play against and not just look sexy and try to out score every team
Yeah we will have to find a sandpaper guy if any at all, and just drop the dream. We will have to forego the 2 goals he may have left this season.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I didn’t see it as sexy. More as well rounded. Laine has picked his defensive game up considerably. Hasn’t found that fine line yet between offense/defense. Much improvement in his game. This was a year from hell i bet he would rather forget
Fair.
I'm just not seeing it. M&M seem to excel with a digger in their line. First few games Thornton was digging and the line clicked, then he started getting out hussled as the teams got up to speed. Then Hyman was reinserted and presto it worked again. Last night galy dug for pucks and it works.
Will Laine decide to be a digger over a scorer? I'm not seeing it as he has always been a scorer and seems to really like it

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Laine is actually a legit bad player.

Yeah when he has room and space he can let it rip but that room is hard to create in the playoffs and he sucks at creating it himself. I don't want him.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Habs pick up Jon Merrill. I'm not sure this is what they need per se, but he's a big body who focuses on shutdown details. Think of his time in Vegas.

Maybe trying to find a formula to deal with the Leafs offense if they meet us in the playoffs, a la the Blue Jackets last season?

I will say, this Leafs team is far superior to last years. Even just having them together another year and seeing our top talent grow is a bonus. I do think this Leafs team beats that Blue Jackets team if we played that same team.

However, we shouldn't underestimate the value of tough, physical Gamers in the post-season. Fairly or not (I think it's generally unfair and even a bit self defeating), the sport takes on a different emphasis in the playoffs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Habs pick up Jon Merrill. I'm not sure this is what they need per se, but he's a big body who focuses on shutdown details. Think of his time in Vegas.

Maybe trying to find a formula to deal with the Leafs offense if they meet us in the playoffs, a la the Blue Jackets last season?

I will say, this Leafs team is far superior to last years. Even just having them together another year and seeing our top talent grow is a bonus. I do think this Leafs team beats that Blue Jackets team if we played that same team.

However, we shouldn't underestimate the value of tough, physical Gamers in the post-season. Fairly or not (I think it's generally unfair and even a bit self defeating), the sport takes on a different emphasis in the playoffs.
Exactly what they are doing. Bigger and more physical and Mete is not that.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Zeke on Laine is funny

Show us your funny money on Laine that will ignore his doninance scoring goals. He could be better 5v5. Tell us how terrible he is in that new language you created. I don’t speak it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Zeke on Laine is funny

Show us your funny money on Laine that will ignore his doninance scoring goals. He could be better 5v5. Tell us how terrible he is in that new language you created. I don’t speak it.

I dont know what you are going on about but Laine is terrible everywhere outside of his shot. He doesnt play D, doesnt create offensively, isnt physical. He provides nothing outside of being a trigger guy that needs a setup man.

Reactions: stickty111 and MR4

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Oh you know what. Go I’m not listening to your B.S

Zeke on Laine is funny

After saying you don’t want to listen to him, coming back to him 50 min later makes it seem like Zeke is in your head.

Reactions: stickty111

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh you know what. Go I’m not listening to your B.S

Like he's as useless defensivelying as any player in hockey.

What's worse is that despite his great shot, the style of offense he plays actually makes his team play low percentage offense when on the ice. So unless that shot is going in at a very high rate he's kinda making his team worse even offensively much of the time.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

The Leafs got goalie'd in last year's playoffs. It's as simple as that. The Blue Jackets didn't win because their defense was good, they won because their goalies bailed them out. The fact that it was a shortened 5 game series only played into that level of randomness. Either way the Leafs are a new team playing a much more fluent system

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Pretty sure it's 7.5m of cap space currently with both Anderson and Riley now on LTIR. When Anderson comes back that amount drops to 2.5m.

The Leafs didn't get any additional cap space from acquiring Nash. They had 5 mil from Andersen, Nash took 2.5 of that dropping their space to 2.5 mil, then when Nash got put on LTIR they got that 2.5 mil back and it went back to the initial 5 mil

edit: it's actually 2.75m although that changes nothing

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs didn't get any additional cap space from acquiring Nash. They had 5 mil from Andersen, Nash took 2.5 of that dropping their space to 2.5 mil, then when Nash got put on LTIR they got that 2.5 mil back and it went back to the initial 5 mil

edit: it's actually 2.75m although that changes nothing
I think there is something wrong with your diagnosis. Leafs acquired Nash on Friday so they had to do their cap gymnastics before they got him. Yet they didn't put Andersen on LTIR until Saturday. True they put Andersen on retroactive to March 19th but the fact remains they had to be cap compliant before they put hm on LTIR. So now both go on LTIR therefore that should open up 7.75 million.

Reactions: TMLAM34

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think there is something wrong with your diagnosis. Leafs acquired Nash on Friday so they had to do their cap gymnastics before they got him. Yet they didn't put Andersen on LTIR until Saturday. True they put Andersen on retroactive to March 19th but the fact remains they had to be cap compliant before they put hm on LTIR. So now both go on LTIR therefore that should open up 7.75 million.

They put Andersen on LTIR in order to fit Nash. We have $750k in LTIR room to work with. Unless you’re on the conspiracy crew that says Andersen is secretly done for the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad