Speculation: Top-4 Defender

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Another name worth mentioning and one that I would move picks and prospects for is Erik Johnson. He's still at the right age and hasn't fit in all that well with COL. I think he would fit in fine with DB's system and has the size, temper, mobility the Pens need on D.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'd trade for Boyle using TK+high end prospect/future. I see SJ looking to unload one of their big contract guys in the near future. If they struggle at the start of the season, I think we should be inquiring.

I believe Shero will find a way to land Sid's RW. I also think Tangradi has a good chance at earning a spot with Geno/Neal. DB's stubborn ways may actually benefit him this time around. I'd imagine he'll want to keep Kunitz/Sid/Dupuis together and Cooke/Sutter/TK.

And yea, if landing a top 4 D and/or top line RW means moving TK, you do it.

Despite all the **** that TK gets, I wouldn't trade him. Unless, of course, it is for an upgrade on the wing. Because if he's dealt for a Top 4 D, then the winger situation becomes even more of an issue.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Despite all the **** that TK gets, I wouldn't trade him. Unless, of course, it is for an upgrade on the wing. Because if he's dealt for a Top 4 D, then the winger situation becomes even more of an issue.

If possible, trade TK+ for a top 4 D, and trade a D prospect(s) for a winger. Or vice versa... I don't care. But we almost certainly need to do something on the blueline, and we need another top 6 option. TK is a decent player... but he's nothing special.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
While I am an advocate of seeing how our current D roster plays out, allow me to propose a litmus test for any D that we propose to trade for.

Stanley Cup Finals game 7. We are up 2-1 with 30 seconds to play. Do you trust this D-man to be on the ice versus the competition's top line? If the answer is no, no thanks.

I'm not sure I answer 'yes' for anyone except Letang.

EDIT: Question for everyone . . . who exactly on the team, among the prospects or picks, do you consider completely untouchable? And, among those who would be expendable, what exactly do you see as that players, prospects, or picks value (obviously, leave guys like Adams and Lovejoy out of it . . . I'm thinking more TK or better among roster players and then of course any prospects, if any, not on the untouchables list)?

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
How about Marc-Edouard Vlasic? (just made a new contract though)
Niskanen & Kennedy(Or Despres maybe) for Vlasic to pair with Letang. Could fit well with Bylsma's system?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure I answer 'yes' for anyone except Letang.

EDIT: Question for everyone . . . who exactly on the team, among the prospects or picks, do you consider completely untouchable? And, among those who would be expendable, what exactly do you see as that players, prospects, or picks value (obviously, leave guys like Adams and Lovejoy out of it . . . I'm thinking more TK or better among roster players and then of course any prospects, if any, not on the untouchables list)?

Our untouchables for me are Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Letang. That's it.

Niskanen & Kennedy(Or Despres maybe) for Vlasic to pair with Letang. Could fit well with Bylsma's system?

That's the tastiest crunch I've ever heard! Seriously, I'd love Vlasic. Don't see it happening though. TK, Tangradi, Niskanen, Despres and a pick for Vlasic and Clowe. Ya, no way. :laugh:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Adam McQuaid isn't really a top 4 D imo. He's just another 5 or 6 which we have too many of already.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Another name worth mentioning and one that I would move picks and prospects for is Erik Johnson. He's still at the right age and hasn't fit in all that well with COL. I think he would fit in fine with DB's system and has the size, temper, mobility the Pens need on D.

very good players and very underrated as well but it's going to take a hell of a lot to get those guys.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
That's the tastiest crunch I've ever heard! Seriously, I'd love Vlasic. Don't see it happening though. TK, Tangradi, Niskanen, Despres and a pick for Vlasic and Clowe. Ya, no way. :laugh:

:laugh:

semi-serious question: if Letang and Després (or Marc-Édouard Vlasic) play together, do they communicate in french on the ice?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We have too many huge 6'4" 215-ish pound physical, blocks a ton of shots, and plays a real simple stay at home game with a mean streak d-men?!

ORLYYYYY!?! Who might they be?!
He's still a bottom pairing guy that gets bottom pairing minutes in Boston. We need a top 4 D more than anything. There's plenty of in house candidates capable of being the #5 and #6 D.

ObsessedCreative*

He's still a bottom pairing guy that gets bottom pairing minutes in Boston. We need a top 4 D more than anything. There's plenty of in house candidates capable of being the #5 and #6 D.

Pairing him with a guy like Martin or Letang I think would do wonders for the defense. He will always be back there to cover their mistakes and he is a BIG mean dude to knock people on their ass in front of MAF or punch-a-size their face if they start taking liberties.

They only guy who is even remotely in the mold is Engelland and McQuaid is a hell of a lot better than him.

Orpik Letang
Martin McQuaid
Nisk Engelland
Strait / Bort

That to me a decent balance of PMD and D-Dmen with some grit & bite.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pairing him with a guy like Martin or Letang I think would do wonders for the defense. He will always be back there to cover their mistakes and he is a BIG mean dude to knock people on their ass in front of MAF or punch-a-size their face if they start taking liberties.

They only guy who is even remotely in the mold is Engelland and McQuaid is a hell of a lot better than him.

Orpik Letang
Martin McQuaid
Nisk Engelland
Strait / Bort

That to me a decent balance of PMD and D-Dmen with some grit & bite.
Unless we are bringing in a complete can't-miss kind of guy who is just a surefire upgrade, then I don't want to bring in another d-man. Let the young guys fight for the bottom spots instead of bringing in a guy who may possibly be marginally better but may also just be a roadblock to guys who we already have.

Not saying he's a bad player. But I don't want us to add a "pretty good" player. We have guys who look like they can be pretty good. Bring in a complete stud or don't bring in anybody.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
^ I just don't see top 4 D in Adam McQuaid. I think he'd be in over his head in that role but I've only watched him sporadically. A Bruins fan may better be able to say what his likely ceiling is.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Unless we are bringing in a complete can't-miss kind of guy who is just a surefire upgrade, then I don't want to bring in another d-man. Let the young guys fight for the bottom spots instead of bringing in a guy who may possibly be marginally better but may also just be a roadblock to guys who we already have.

Not saying he's a bad player. But I don't want us to add a "pretty good" player. We have guys who look like they can be pretty good. Bring in a complete stud or don't bring in anybody.

Agreed.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People forget how many meaningful 1 goal games ended with Gill/Scuds or Scuds/Orpik on the ice together. We don't need a top tier defender, we just need a guy like Mark Stuart, Scuds, etc. who can deliver big time important minutes. They don't have to be a #1 or #2. They just have to be good enough to play strong solid defense first.

That is the player we are missing. Engo is a start. If we could get him a guy to pair up with like Stuart/Scuds/etc. we'd be perfect.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
People forget how many meaningful 1 goal games ended with Gill/Scuds or Scuds/Orpik on the ice together. We don't need a top tier defender, we just need a guy like Mark Stuart, Scuds, etc. who can deliver big time important minutes. They don't have to be a #1 or #2. They just have to be good enough to play strong solid defense first.

That is the player we are missing. Engo is a start. If we could get him a guy to pair up with like Stuart/Scuds/etc. we'd be perfect.

I just think guys like Strait and Bortuzzo have enough chance to become that guy that bringing in people who "might" be able to be that guy is silly. If we can bring in a guy who IS DEFINITELY going to be able to do that, then I can see doing it.

ObsessedCreative*

Well OBVIOUSLY this would be ideal, but stud d-men are very hard to if not IMPOSSIBLE to find.

I was just trying to think of a scenario that actually could happen.

Ya know?

I still think he or a guy like him would do wonders for the team and others playing against us.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well OBVIOUSLY this would be ideal, but stud d-men are very hard to if not IMPOSSIBLE to find.

I was just trying to think of a scenario that actually could happen.

Ya know?

I still think he or a guy like him would do wonders for the team and others playing against us.

I get what you're saying. I just don't think a guy like him would be worth blocking the guys we already have who could easily turn into a guy like him.

ObsessedCreative*

I feel the same exact way... the D was NEVER the same since both those guys left.

People love to piss and moan... "Durrr Gills is Soo slow hur, hur"

But he doesn't have to be a speed demon in the role he is suited and built for.

Or D has been a huge group of little ******* and children since those two departed.

The way Letang acted in the playoffs last year was down right EMBARRASSING.

ObsessedCreative*

I get what you're saying. I just don't think a guy like him would be worth blocking the guys we already have who could easily turn into a guy like him.

Who exactly do we have that is 6'4"-6'5" 220ish pounds and quoted from a bruins fan "He's physical, blocks a tone of shots, and plays a real simple stay at home game with a mean streak."

That he would be blocking or could fill that role with that size?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Who exactly do we have that is 6'4"-6'5" 220ish pounds and quoted from a bruins fan "He's physical, blocks a tone of shots, and plays a real simple stay at home game with a mean streak."

That he would be blocking or could fill that role with that size?

aside from being 6'4" I think Bortuzzo and Strait could fill the basic stay at home defensive d-man role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad